1. David
    David March 17, 2010 at 9:55 am | | Reply

“8 different thresholds for your low alerts, depending on time of day and your activity level”

I hope this means a CGM manufacturer has finally incorporated the obvious feature of allowing different threshold settings for nighttime vs daytime.

During the night when I am not consuming carbs and causing big swings in bg levels, I want my high alert threshold to be lower in order to maintain bg as near optimal as possible. With no food or activity level to affect bg, there is no reason not to strive for near perfect bg control at night.

2. Jacquie
    Jacquie March 17, 2010 at 10:30 am | | Reply

Yes, yes, I’m impressed and excited. But for now, all I really want is for CareLink to work with Macs.

3. Brent
    Brent March 17, 2010 at 10:45 am | | Reply

Hi Amy,

Thanks for this news; and we just upgraded our dsughter’s pump via the Paradigm Pathway a couple of months ago :( Oh well.

Besides the auto shutoff feature, this new version also does not include the six day sensor life, as it does in the UK. At least it’s not listed on the Medtronic website as such. Hopefully that will be coming soon too.

4. Jim Huck
    Jim Huck March 17, 2010 at 12:42 pm | | Reply

My current Medtronic CGM has an unbelievably quiet alarm. I hope they upgraded the alarm to “ear piercing” for sound sleepers.

1. Paul
      Paul December 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm | | Reply

Yes, the alarm. Is ridiculously quiet! Are there any devices out there to listen for that feeble tone and generate a more useful alert?

5. Max
    Max March 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm | | Reply

There are many different thresholds for the time of the day that your low alert goes off

A CGM that now can differ for the night time and day time.. WOW, if it can reliably do what it says it can than this is the most advanced CGM ever.

6. dargirl
    dargirl March 18, 2010 at 10:38 am | | Reply

I find this “ta da” roll out a little frustating. I have read every piece of info out there about the current best pump 722 paradigm. I put more time in to selecting this product, then I have ever spent time purcahasing a home, car, refrigerator…..in my lifetime. ONLY ONE WEEK AGO, as I was giving them my credit card.

When I called to order the pump I asked, “I understand that Minimed is working on somthing with new features. When do you plan on this product rolling out.? What type of features are anticipated?”

Minimed: Well… we are always working on improving our product, but until we have FDA approval……and so on……

WHY THE hell DIDN’T MINIMED SAY….Hold off on the credit card thing for one week lady. We have something rolling out in a week or so. Call me and when we have FDA approval, I can discuss it with you. One stinking week. I have waited 38 years for an insulin pump. One sticking week…….

7. CaliDiabetic
    CaliDiabetic March 19, 2010 at 3:59 pm | | Reply

I’m disappointed. This is more of a sales push than anything. I feel nothing really changed other than some software updates and ripping people off. What happened to the modular and tubeless pump? Also, isn’t it amazing how they rip you off on the device AND the sensors, etc? Comon people, pick ONE way to rip us off! If my insurance would cover it, I would go with Omnipod. It’s not perfect, but it seems to be more user oriented. A big company like Medtronic should be able to make something that impresses us. If only Apple was in the same market…

- My 2 cents. =)

8. Jimmy
    Jimmy March 24, 2010 at 12:26 am | | Reply

“For existing Medtronic users, upgrading to the Revel will cost $399 to $499 depending on the system you are upgrading from.” Do you really think it’s worth the extra money for the upgrade?

9. Cindy Patch
    Cindy Patch March 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm | | Reply

To dargirl,
    If you purchased your insulin pump within 30 days, you can contact Medtronic to return the pump for the new one. I did just that.

10. bellemead
    bellemead March 26, 2010 at 11:47 am | | Reply

I’m disappointed that it does not look like they’ve upgraded the display. It may show different data but it seems to be the same outdated small monochrome blocky LCD display. Would a color OLED display really been that difficult?

11. dargirl
    dargirl March 29, 2010 at 5:41 pm | | Reply

I am going to give the “TA DA” moment to Medtronic’s customer service.

I previously posted a comment regarding my frustrations due to the timing of the rollout for the new Revel pump and my purchase of the prior model. (see comment March 18 2010 dargirl).

Silly me, I commented prior to just picking up the phone and calling the rep to inquire. “Hey, Can we do something about this new model change?”

I apologize! I should have called the rep first.

Once I had spoken with the rep and got all the info, it was smooth sailing. I was directed to contact the corporate office and by the next morning 10:00 a.m. the UPS was at my doorstep with my new pump.

Now that it excellent customer service!

12. Nancy
    Nancy April 13, 2010 at 11:39 am | | Reply

I’ve been a Medtronic user for about 2 1/2 years now and I’ve tried the CGMS feature on my current pump, the Paradigm 722. Not impressed with the CGMS but the pump is fine. This Revel doesn’t seem that much different to warrant all the celebrating. I actually got to look at one a couple days ago at the Chicago Diabetes Expo. Sure, the language is a little more user-friendly and they’ve tightened up the software, but the alarms are the exact same thing as the old pump (too quiet! I understand that sound sleeping is a factor for a lot of PWD – why do the pump companies not know this?) and the CGMS (stupid little floppy tick-shaped thing) hasn’t changed yet. My warranty with Medtronic is up in 2011 and I think I’m leaning toward the OneTouch Ping and the Dexcom CGMS at this point. MUCH more user-friendly.

13. M Gale
    M Gale April 20, 2010 at 8:16 am | | Reply

Medtronic – update your pump display – Animas has it all over you there with the big LCD screen. And compatibility with a Mac is essential – let’s move on from the PC dinosaur – good grief!