1. Rebecca Bradley
    Rebecca Bradley March 8, 2010 at 7:47 am | | Reply

We are so proud of Kris Freeman and his accomplishments of just being in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Our staff had been wondering his post-thoughts after disappointing results. It’s good to know that he’s not going to give up and so glad that he’s going to work through this to make himself better for future races and 2014 Olympics. Appreciate your great interview with him and asking all the tough questions that we were asking ourselves after following him during those races. I can understand that the nomination is wonderful for him but to win is the goal. He is definitely a winner with us as well as a role model for Type 1 children. Thank You!

2. saramy
    saramy March 8, 2010 at 8:25 am | | Reply

Although I know Kris felt disappointed by the results, I think he’s the epitome of a true olympian – pushing beyond limits and even when things don’t go well, he continues to push forward. Thank you. This is a really inspiring interview and I am grateful to Kris for his perseverance, dedication and commitment. He sets a very very fine example. This was a fantastic interview.

3. Lorraine
    Lorraine March 8, 2010 at 9:26 am | | Reply

I am so glad that we learned about Kris Freeman and were able to follow him through these Olympics. Kris, you have such an amazing determination and perspective. I soak up your words like a sponge. To say that your story is inspirational really does not capture the impact that it has for us – it’s so much more than that. I look forward to following you through future events. Best of luck to you Kris! (Good luck with the CGM. I think you will be pleased.)

4. Controlling Blood Sugar on Long Runs | A Sweet Life

[...] my BS through these runs with no high or lows. This may not insure that all goes well on race day (just look at Kris Freeman’s 30K catastrophe) but it is key to having a chance of a good [...]

5. June S.
    June S. March 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm | | Reply

I’m really glad you posted this final interview with Kris. I’ve been waiting for it. I hope Kris will speak with some of the folks at the DESA (Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association,) if he hasn’t already done so. This organization used to be called the IDAA (International Diabetic Athletes’ Association,) and I used to volunteer when they had diabetic runners in the New York City Marathon. Unfortunately, so far as I know, they no longer allow diabetic runners (Type I’s) in that race. I recall one time, when I was at a post, outfitted with glucose tablets, juice boxes and a blood glucose meter (with LOTS of strips and fresh lancets – don’t worry!) A guy came and tested his BG. It was somewhere around 60, and he had at least a mile more to run. He was semi-coherent, and we gave him juice or glucose tabs, and I begged him to drink more juice and wait till his BG rose before continuing the race. Another guy at the booth with me told me we must not “force feed” anyone. Well, this guy finished the race, and passed out in convulsions from a low at the finish line. I think that was the beginning of the end for Type I diabetic runners in the New York City marathon! Perhaps, if the CGMS can really accurately spot lows during blood glucose episodes when BG’s are dropping PRECIPITOUSLY, athletes like Kris will benefit from them. In any case, I am so proud of what Kris has accomplished for all of us with Type I. That he even qualified for the Olympics is amazing. I hope he is proud of himself!

6. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | | Reply

Thanks again to Amy & Kris – it is really enlightening for me to see that even an olympic athlete fights the same fights us average folk do around exercise with diabetes.

I totally cannot picture an omnipod on his CHEST?!

7. Lauren K
    Lauren K March 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm | | Reply

I really appreciate Kris’ thoughts. I also try to never think of myself as a “diabetic” person. My A1c should be the same as a that of a person without diabetes and I should be able to finish medical school and move forward with my career just as a non-insulin dependent person would. I have to take care of my diabetes on a day to day basis, but I don’t lower my goals to accomodate it. That mindset really pushes me to do better, maintain ultra-tight control, and avoid making excuses, and I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling this way.

8. Cary
    Cary March 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

Re: June S

The New York City Marathon does allow type 1 runners. I know of many type 1′s who have finished the NYC marathon without incident (including 2009 and at other national marathons).

I’m waiting on my lottery number to get called this year so I can run the NYC Marathon as a type 1.

9. June S
    June S March 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm | | Reply

RE: Lauren K. and “ultra-tight control.” I applaud Lauren in her pursuit of a medical career. We need more physicians who (themselves) have Type I diabetes, in the same way as it would be nice to have more Type I diabetic athletes involved in the Olympics. As a Type I for close to 38 years, I just hope that Lauren has a fantastic CGM. Ultra-tight control sounds great, in theory, and with an excellent CGM and absolutely no faulty sensors perhaps it can be a possibility. I just happen, in my own experience, to feel lucky to be alive after trying to maintain TOO tight control for a few years. I even know a physician with Type I who told me she gave up on trying to keep her BG between 80 and 120 all the time, after ending up in an ambulance three times with a severe hypoglycemic episode. Another physician I once knew, now long deceased, was so intent on preventing HYPERglycemia that he died of HYPOglycemia. A word to the wise. We can try to have blood glucose levels as normal as those of a non-diabetic, but at the end of the day we are still diabetic, and will be until a cure is found!

10. David RC
    David RC March 10, 2010 at 11:57 am | | Reply

Way to go Kris! You’ve inspired me (Type 1) with my new pod. I wish you continued success and hope to hear something great in the near future!!!

11. Kristy Lariviere
    Kristy Lariviere March 10, 2010 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

Kris you are an insperation! My daughter has T1D and she is almost 5 years old. She was diagnosed 15 months ago, at that time I thought everything was over for her. She would forever be tied down so to speak. It took a while to realize that she wont live her life around diabetes, that diabetes will have to live around her. You are just living proof that she will do whatever she wants to in life and can achieve anything! Thank you!

Good Luck with your training and I hope the best for your future races!!!

Kristy Lariviere ~ Mom to a beautiful type 1 diabetic girl!