1. kt
    kt March 19, 2010 at 7:10 am | | Reply

I’m pretty sure the pricing is stated incorrectly. Maybe the $84 is a one-tim upfront cost?

2. dargirl
    dargirl March 19, 2010 at 7:34 am | | Reply

yUCK! That looks like the size of my diabetes bag.

I have the old fashion medic alert bracelet.

Last year it was recommended by my CDE to wear an ID bracelet. I had not worn my bracelet for years (like 25 years). When I called to purchase a new bracelet. I was still in there system. But with my parents address, phone numbers and Doctors that have since past away.

They still had all my diabetes info and allergies listed. But the personal info and type of insulin treatment was seriously outdated (NPH ha ha). Now with the internet, you can update daily if necessary. They even gave me my original ID Braclet number.

How do I bling it up? I purchased a bracelet at a annual craft show, used the original latches, it is stainless steel and pretty. Next year I plan on getting a new bracelet with small crystals.

My recommendation would be keep it simple and update your info with what ever company you choose.

3. Courtney Mann
    Courtney Mann March 19, 2010 at 8:01 am | | Reply

You are absolutely correct. The $84 price is per year. Please visit our website for more details about the product or pricing.

4. LindaB
    LindaB March 19, 2010 at 8:33 am | | Reply

My sisters hubby was an EMT for years, the last thing they look for is a keychain, or a notebook, etc. I had medical ID’s for years, they would break, the engraving would fade away after a few years,so I I got a tattoo.
    On my right wrist, It says type 1 diabetic, with the medical alert insignia, I had it put on my right wrist, where they always find the best veins, when they I.V. me.

It’s about 4 in long and read, yellow, and black. You can’t miss it.
    best 80 dollars I ever spent.

5. LindaB
    LindaB March 19, 2010 at 9:02 am | | Reply

I got a tattoo with Type 1 diabetes , on my wrist in black red and yellow, It’s about 4 in. long. I put it on my wrist, on the arm where they always use the same veins over and over. The last thing the EMT’s are looking for is a keychain, or a band, or a sticker.med alert bracelets are great, but, they do have to be replaced, engraving rubs off, they do break, and no matter how cute you make it, they are still bulky. I never leave my arm behind, but, I do leave my keys behind quite a bit. Amd I absolutely hate carrying all the gadgets around, It’s a pain in the backside I have no patience dealing with all the “cool” accessories they market.

6. Barbara
    Barbara March 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | | Reply

I like cool gadgets and new technology, but I agree that I’m not sure if first responders look for these devices/tags…which leaves me with thinking about a tattoo as mentioned above. Can you put the word out and take a survey of what people (more people) think about that idea. I’m seriously considering it, since I too, have lost, broken, worn out numerous bracelets over the past 47 yrs.

7. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston March 28, 2010 at 9:05 am | | Reply

Agreed – I would have no interest in this. Like others have said, we T1′s seek to carry around the least amt of “gear” possible. (However, a friend who is the mom of young children and has occasional seizures due to epilepsy might be interested in something like this.)

I look fw to hearing about the entries to this year’s Design Challenge!

As to tattoos — a topic that’s been covered here before, I believe — to me, it’s too public. The medic alert is public enough to tell people “I HAVE A MEDICAL ISSUE.” A tattoo would feel out and out too “out there” for me! Still, I’ve never lost consciousness from a low (after 29 years – woot!), and that would be a deciding factor in terms of how public I need to be abt my illness.