1. saramy
    saramy March 22, 2010 at 10:27 am | | Reply

Thank goodness Ellen was invited to present at this important forum and I’m certain she did a splendid job of representing us. I am comforted by her efforts and knowledge. 45 years ago when I was diagnosed, the thinking was that we with D wouldn’t want to take more than one shot (at most 2) a day and that we wouldn’t really be interested in or trusted to know about our disease or mastering the complexities. Honestly! even at the tender age of 10 I knew the urine tests were crap and told me nothing since I’d be having an insulin reaction and testing 4+ on the urine test – so who was I going to believe? only ME! I learned early that doctor’s often didn’t know what they were talking about when it came to me and what was happening to me. Things are so much better today, but my gawd, so far from where they should be. Now “a lot of experts saying people wouldn’t sacrifice testing time or blood sample size for better accuracy” — who are these people anyway? they are NOT EXPERTS – we with D are the experts. Do they actually believe what they’re pushing – how do they explain those of us who are willing to wear clunky devices hanging off our bodies and will test 10 or more time a day. These experts continue to confirm for me that they don’t know who they’re dealing with and don’t have a clue as to the reality of trying to stay alive. Or, maybe they just don’t care and it’s all about profits. Very frustrating!

2. Steve Parker, M.D.
    Steve Parker, M.D. March 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm | | Reply

If a company has proof that their device is clearly the most accurate on the market, the FDA shouldn’t be telling them they can’t advertise that.

Unbelievable.

-Steve

3. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie March 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

FWIW, Wavesense meters DO talk about how their meters produce readings that are more accurate. They do not say just HOW accurate they are though.

They appear to be pretty cost-effective compared to most other meters (or at least compared to my Accu-Chek Aviva). I will look into trying one out.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

4. Bennet
    Bennet March 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm | | Reply

I am a huge fan of WaveSense and the accuracy thing didn’t float my boat at all when we moved over to them. The work well. Have big screens. Don’t use a lot of blood and most importantly looked cool and that made my tween want to have it around. Accurate is a nice fringe benefit.

5. David Parker
    David Parker March 22, 2010 at 7:13 pm | | Reply

Just a comment/question re your statement:

“But people on Medicare or without insurance will end up with the cheapest, least accurate meters.”

AFAIK Medicare patients can choose just about any meter they want. I know I have. Perhaps you meant Medicaid patients? Whether or not the meter is accurate seems to be a more difficult question to answer.

6. k2
    k2 March 23, 2010 at 9:49 am | | Reply

THANK GOD Ellen was there to speak for us!!
    Kelly K

7. Lorraine
    Lorraine March 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm | | Reply

Thank you Ellen and Amy.

8. Cindy
    Cindy March 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm | | Reply

Thank you, Ellen, for speaking out for us and thank you, Amy, for keeping us informed. And thank you for the link to the FDA. I just finished submitting my comments.

9. Shinaye
    Shinaye March 26, 2010 at 11:57 am | | Reply

I agree w/ Saramy’s comments.I also agree with the rest of the comments everyone posted.
    This PWD-1 needs insulin to live. If my meter isn’t, trustworthy, I’d be sew-sawing between highs & lows – how exausting is that? I’d be afraid to eat anything.

Bennet, Accuracy is not “a nice fringe benefit”, it absolutely essential to survival & thriving PWD’s. (People With Diabetes).tation

10. » NEWSFLASH: New Sanofi-Aventis Glucose Meters, Brought to You By AgaMatrix - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] FDA Hearings on Blood Glucose Meters – An Advocate’s Perspective [...]

11. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm | | Reply

I think Ellen did a fantastic job for us. Thank you Ellen!

I am amazed that the FDA had just a single representative… That seems pretty crazy to me.

I also feel enlightened a bit about the other uses for glucose meters. I thought PWD’s were the only use – but it makes sense that glucose levels would need to be monitored for other reasons too.

Why the FDA would spend so much energy on THAT (seemingly) small portion of all meter users baffles me though.

12. Early Cuyler
    Early Cuyler April 16, 2010 at 2:39 pm | | Reply

After Heath reform takes hold you will just be glad you have anything to test your sugar with. you dont hear about competative billing but it will make medicare/medicaid worthless for diabetic supplies.