1. ryans mom
    ryans mom March 12, 2010 at 6:55 am | | Reply

Negativity. Negativity. Negativity. I am truly wanting to find a place that gives us the truth but does not cover it in doom and gloom. I REFUSE to let my diabetic child grow up hating.

2. kokernutz
    kokernutz March 12, 2010 at 7:04 am | | Reply

I still haven’t done all my basal testing, and been on the pump for almost 2 years now. I keep lying to my endo saying that I’ll do it before the next time I see her.

3. Chris
    Chris March 12, 2010 at 7:06 am | | Reply

Been there, Done that, how the heck did you avoid it for THIS long?! you lucky muffin. I was always told I could eat non-carb things though. which is still food, and food tames the hulk that we become when we totally SKIP meals – which is also frowned upon as diabetic or not.

4. George Bridgeman
    George Bridgeman March 12, 2010 at 7:21 am | | Reply

Why skip meals? I was always told to have a zero carb meal instead of skipping it altogether. A salad, ham & eggs, or somesuch works fine.

By the way… the CAPTCHA for this comment was ‘the jabbed’. How wonderfully apt!

George.

5. k2
    k2 March 12, 2010 at 7:33 am | | Reply

Amy-
    I feel your basal testing pain and will be in the same exact boat as you VERY soon!
    Hang in there, be strong – Gary knows what he’s doing, your in great hands!
    Kelly K

6. Allison Blass
    Allison Blass March 12, 2010 at 7:38 am | | Reply

I was a client of Gary’s for 2 years in college, and my A1C was the best it had ever been when I was working him. However, my parents were paying for him and now that I’m on my own, he’s a tiny bit out of my price range. I’m thinking about saving up to do another round though. It really is worth it!

7. Elijah M
    Elijah M March 12, 2010 at 7:52 am | | Reply

I know a CGM isn’t always a viable option for some, but… what if you get set up on one of those for a few days, and stick to a zero carb diet from 6am to noon the first day, noon to 6pm the second, and 6pm to 12am the third day? That way, you don’t have to get up in the middle of the night, and the food annoyances are kept to a minimum.

My endo has has me do three days on a CGM once a year to evaluate my basal and bolus rates overall, but we’ve never done it just for the basal alone. I might have to try this next time. Certainly couldn’t hurt.

8. Meri
    Meri March 12, 2010 at 7:55 am | | Reply

Thank GOODNESS my boys didn’t have to fast for basal testing! They. Would. Die. Luckily they get a non carb diet. As I was reading your post though, it occured to me I have never done evening basal testing on them. Weird. I can’t even think why that is so???

9. Kelsse (Kelsey)
    Kelsse (Kelsey) March 12, 2010 at 8:25 am | | Reply

You know, growing up Jewish and type 1 I always wanted to fast for the high holy holidays but wasn’t allowed because it would be detrimental to my health. When I went on the pump, I was told to fast for 24 hours as a true way to test my basals. I did, and it worked beautifully. That was nearly 8 years ago, your post reminds me that it’s long past time to do that again….

10. Katie from SF, CA
    Katie from SF, CA March 12, 2010 at 8:42 am | | Reply

Amy, how funny… I just did mine too…

I opted for the 24-hour fast… 3 days of 8 hours a day was just too tough for me. And my CDE told me that you can’t eat low-carb stuff like others have mentioned – b/c when you are not eating ANY carbs, the non-carb foods turn into carbs (more than usual) and throw off your results. (Besides, the basic salad has 15-20 carbs…) But, as we all know, everybody is different and require different things. Glad you got the tests done, and know which of your rates were right or off. =)

11. Greg
    Greg March 12, 2010 at 10:20 am | | Reply

I do it annually, when my workout/diet routine changes, and when my control seems out of whack. (That’s usually twice per year). I don’t fast – I just avoid carbs in my meals. I do it in three 8 hour stretches over 4-5 days. Frankly, 6 carb-free meals and 2 sleepless nights per year doesn’t seem like such a bad trade-off for good control…

12. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 12, 2010 at 11:12 am | | Reply

Great post Amy. I’m thrilled to hear you’re working with Gary – he’s a great guy.

Basal testing is a royal PITA isn’t it?

I love that graph in this post – so true!

13. Andy
    Andy March 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

Sounds like a lot of dramatic complaining to me.

14. Ellen
    Ellen March 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the post. I’m trying to convince my son to use Gary’s services – and the honesty is important too. Good luck Amy. Kudos to you for being open to the support and ultimately feeling best.

15. Open Letter To Ryan’s Mom In Regards to Hating Diabetes » RideToRemedy.com - Riding To Cure Diabetes

[...] you left a comment on DiabetesMine: Negativity. Negativity. Negativity. I am truly wanting to find a place that gives us the truth but [...]

16. another mom
    another mom March 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm | | Reply

Ryans mom it sounds and looks like (by use of your caps) that you have some anger which is fine. ;) Emotions are not right or wrong; they just are. I hope you allow your child to express them – hatred towards diabetes at one time or another may be part of it.
    Amy, my adult son dreads basal testing, but it does give him good information. Thanks for posting that he’s not alone.

17. Lisa
    Lisa March 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm | | Reply

To Ryan’s Mom,
    As a mom of a child with diabetes, I completely understand your desire not to want your child to grow up hating. I very strongly believe it is important to give a child w/ type 1 the message that diabetes will not stop them from pursuing any of their hopes and dreams.
    However I also believe that it is OK ( actually more than OK.. necessary) to feel angry, annoyed pissed off at diabetes at times. These are normal emotions to have for someone dealing with a whole lot every second of every day. A healthy child w/ type 1 needs to know that these feelings of frustrations are normal and OK to have and should be able to express these emotions. While I am a positive person and am not advocating walking around “hating” all the time I think it is important to acknowledge that any PWD will get fed up at times and they are allowed to feel angry. I know, as a mom I certainly have those moments where I hate diabetes!
    Amy’s site is actually one of the few blogs that I follow regularly and I do not find it negative at all! I find it extremely positive, upbeat, honest and informative. Thank you Amy for showing us different perspectives and for your honesty.

18. Jerry Nairn
    Jerry Nairn March 12, 2010 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

Ryans mom. Please don’t refuse to let your child with diabetes grow up feeling however he or she feels. You won’t change the feelings by “refusing” to let them exist.
    Let the feelings be there.
    Concerning negativity, this site is the source of a lot of positivity, but it is Diabetes Mine. Diabetes is a DISease. That’s a negative thing.
    The other half of the name is Mine. You may not get that. It applies to me, and to your child.
    My diabetes is mine. Don’t try to tell me, or someone else who owns it, how to feel about it.

19. xim1970
    xim1970 March 13, 2010 at 11:26 am | | Reply

I think I’ll STICK with STICKING myself for now. Do I really have to go through that just to wear a pump that won’t even test me? No. I’ll wait for an integrated CGM/Pump. It will happen.

20. Elijah M
    Elijah M March 13, 2010 at 11:33 am | | Reply

@xim1970: I said that for 17 years, until my wife and my CDE got together and convinced me to try an OmniPod. My A1C dropped by two points, and it’s stayed there for three years. You can’t possibly appreciate how much easier a pump will make your life until you use one.

Not for nothing: even when they integrate a pump with a CGM, you’re still going to need to do a finger stick a few times a day to calibrate the thing.

21. Maggie
    Maggie March 13, 2010 at 5:21 pm | | Reply

Diabetic for 6 years, never even heard of basal testing, maybe I need a new endo. Lack of sleep does increase by blood sugar, are you sure you are getting accurate results?

22. Kara
    Kara March 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm | | Reply

Maggie, I think that’s so interesting. I was on a pump for 9 years, through 3 doctors, before I ever heard of basal testing. The 3rd doctor had me do it within months after our first meeting, and it seemed like such an obvious idea, I didn’t understand why no one had asked it of me before then. It was such an eye opener, too!

But yeah.. the lack of sleep followed by no breakfast? Not cool!

23. Kendra
    Kendra March 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm | | Reply

Haha. I’ve had Type I since March 31, 2002 and I still haven’t done a proper basal rate test. Maybe I’ll do it for my eighth “anniversary” as a way to “celebrate.” Man, diabetes is totally fun and awesome!

24. Joe White
    Joe White March 15, 2010 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

I feel for you and your husband. I am not diabetic, but my son is. We will be doing overnight through breakfest basal testing to verify that his basal rates are correct. They are close, but probably need a little tweeking. So my wife does n’t kill me, I will sleep in his room and use my cell phone to alarm.

25. strawberry
    strawberry March 17, 2010 at 10:00 am | | Reply

I am soooo with you on this. Hate the basal rate tests! I have to do them again now because I had a baby recently, so things were way different while pregnant. And try fasting when you’re nursing! I’ve never been so hungry in all my life!!!

And I agree with the others… most of the time I’m super positive about life and don’t let the ‘betes get me down. But every now and then I must exclaim to my husband, “I Hate Diabetes!” He gets it. I know you all do, too.

26. Kathy
    Kathy March 19, 2010 at 5:40 am | | Reply

Amy – You are in good hands with Gary. I’ve been one of his clients for almost 2 years now. He knows what he is talking about. I’m not fond of the basal tests either, especially the overnight one. BTW…..in his book “Think like a Pancreas” Gary writes that you should not have caffeine during basal testing either. :(

27. miss kitty3
    miss kitty3 March 19, 2010 at 12:47 pm | | Reply

My endo revised the basal testing form because it caused so many conflicts. I used the revised form to do my basal testing. Yeah, the overnight is tough. The evening test is next worst.
    I had to keep reminding myself not to correct BG’s in the 200 range and above. Also that I was doing an overnight basal test. Creature of habit!
    Now, my endo wants to see what my basal rates are doing – using the revised form & CGM at the same time. I’m glad its only for 3 days.
    Also, I sweat like a I don’t know what in weather higher than 72 degrees. I need IV Prep wipes to prep my skin for the CGM & my pump cannula.
    Should be simple but w/ me, always a challenge w/ my diabetes.

28. John
    John May 4, 2010 at 5:11 am | | Reply

I hate basal testing too, but it is soooo worth it! My 5.9% A1C, lack of major hypos, and basically cruising through my days with little worry would not be possible without it.

I’m not sure how much planning is needed to not eat. We test regularly and are therefore prepared for falls.

29. Kendra
    Kendra September 27, 2010 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

I know this is several months after the fact, but I wanted to make a comment to Ryan’s Mom about hating diabetes. I have been a diabetic for over 30 years. I spent my entire life “trying” to be normal to the point that most people did not even know I was diabetic and those that did thought it was an easy disease. At 29 years of the disease I went on the pump and started having problems with severe lows and had to begin testing my blood every few hours. During one of those problem days I was with friends of over 20 years who have known all along I have the disease. They ended up talking behind my back that I was “showboating” my diabetes because I had never had to take my blood or do a shot in front of them before. Needless to say they are no longer my friends.

But the point of this story is to say Diabetes is a “severe” disease we are NEVER in complete control of and that it is always doing some sort of damage.

The comment about not wanting someone to hate diabetes sounds like it is coming from one who does not have the disease or not had it all that long. For 29 years I spent as little time on diabetes as I could because I wasn’t going to let it beat me. However, I am tired of it and always have been. I poke myself sometimes over 30 times a day, I can go into lows at any time and die, and any time I am over 120 I do damage to my organs. Not to mention the shots, Dr. visits, and eating.

I can honestly say I hate this disease. When I eat I have to worry about it when I don’t eat I have to worry about it. It is just like walking a tight rope. One foot off just a little and I could die.

There is so much stress involved in Diabetes to add not being allowed to hate it is not another one we need. Especially if you are saying it never having to be the one with the disease. Living with a person with the disease is hard, but having it is harder.

Allow the child to hate it, and instead of focusing on the hatred and wallowing in it, have him use that anger and hatred to do something good for a cure.

Faustman labs in entering a new trial phase for the cure. They need money and they have a very promising phase 1 behind them. Let’s not let government or drug companies hinder them because they may lose money from the cure! Or let’s raise money for them. Let him focus his anger and hatred on that!

30. Jennifer Nelson
    Jennifer Nelson March 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm | | Reply

Just started this unique brand of torture myself. I get scary when I don’t eat!

31. Daisy
    Daisy December 9, 2011 at 10:03 am | | Reply

Have you ever thought about going RAW?

There are some serious heath benefits that might actually make these grueling tests a thing of the past.

Just something to look into.

Cheering you on,
    Daisy

32. Edna Shukis
    Edna Shukis March 7, 2012 at 11:11 am | | Reply

I would really like to have an insulin pump so I would need to do basal testing. Does Medicare pay for it???

33. Pam
    Pam July 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm | | Reply

I am the mother of a diabetic son, diagnosed 11 years ago when he was 5. We do regular basal and bolus testing. I stay up all night for 3 days and check his sugar every hour while he is sleeping. I find the waking up every two hours harder on my body then pulling all nighters and catching a few hours sleep in the morning. One of my weeks holidays is dedicated to testing. He too dreads the fasting tests, but for 3 days it is worth it. We combine the fasting am tests with the pre and post bolus test the next two meals. The next day we do the fasting afternoon and pre and post bolus for breakfast and supper. The last day is the evening fast till midnight. I can’t tell you how hard it is for a 16 year old growing teenager to fast. Come midnight he is fixing up a 7 course meal before bed. I feel for everyone who has this disease, but like you said there are people with other diseases who wish all they had to do was basal and bolus testing.

34. SHUG IN BOOTS {Beth}
    SHUG IN BOOTS {Beth} August 19, 2013 at 9:51 am | | Reply

I have to admit, I did these at the very, very beginning when I first got my pump, and I felt that it was very necessary. Once those were set, I learned to tweak, by doing a cheater’s version of a basal challenge. (Better than no basal challenge at all, I say.) So, instead of not eating at all, (because I get nausea, headaches, see black spots, etc), I eat no-carb, low fat foods to tide me over: Pickles, eggs, lean deli meat. It’s better than no food at all, and it doesn’t have a significant impact on my sugars, so I can still “tell” what’s going on. My latest a1c was 5.9. Obviously, I’m not a doctor, but this has helped me a lot, so I thought I would share.