1. Melitta
    Melitta February 3, 2010 at 4:49 pm | | Reply

From my point of view, the American Diabetes Association is one of the worst sources of information about Type 1 diabetes. Petersen’s comment that diabetes is a continuum of diseases is simply not true. Type 1 autoimmune diabetes (both childhood and adult onset T1) is a distinctly different disease than Type 2: different genetics, causes, treatments, cures. ADA consistently promotes misinformation that causes serious harm to those of use with adult-onset Type 1–ADA denies we exist and includes us in the statistics for Type 2 diabetes. As for Australia knowing their exact number of Type 1s, they also have had the problem of misdiagnosing adult onset T1 as Type 2 diabetes (although Australia is ahead of the U.S. and is now doing a campaign to raise awareness about adult onset T1), so the numbers are certainly higher than just 3,617.

1. Terry
      Terry July 9, 2012 at 7:46 am | | Reply

I agree with you about the ADA. I believe my adult onset Type 1, Hashimoto’s and other auto-immune problems were brought on by undiagnosed Lyme Disease in my body that I probably contracted as a child. It took a live blood assay for for the stealth bacteria, spirochetes, biofilms to show. Treatment with samento and other non-pharmaceuticals has led to a decrease in my insulin needs, and LDN is modulating my immune system to halt the progression of the other complications.
      Also, I’ve found an integrative physician, a D.O. in my case, to be more helpful than an endocrinologist.

2. Michael Barker
    Michael Barker February 3, 2010 at 6:14 pm | | Reply

Boy do I get you on this! I’m a ketosis prone T2, which is a very big deal in both the African and Hispanic American community. How big? Can’t find out. Is it important? Given the fast rise of diabetes in both communities, it is going to have an inordinate effect on our health facilities for years to come. My best guess is that there are more people with this type of diabetes than people with Sickle Cell but I can’t say for sure without some data that gives me an idea of its prevalence. It is frustrating.

Mike

3. Cherise
    Cherise February 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm | | Reply

It’s sad. When I was dx’d with Type 1.5 lol or LADA I couldn’t find information at all. ADA nothing. JDRF nothing. IMO, if someone wants PWD’s to donate money and walk for a cure please talk about all types of diabetes! Once the different organizations realize we need each other and stop being in the “I” team, that’s when the world will understand and recognize “ALL” the types of diabetes. sorry for the rambles

4. Jen
    Jen February 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

There is a colossal amount of misinformation out there on diabetes. Like Allison Blass, who pointed to this horrifically ill-informed article from the Huffington Post today *by a doctor*, I’m terrified of what will be transmitted as ‘fact’ on Oprah’s show (she’s doing a show about diabetes, btw). This “doctor”–who will have a worldwide audience of MILLIONS–said that people are “born with” Type 1 diabetes. Really? Um, NO.

Privacy is, of course, important, but the accurate collection and sharing of information could go a long way in figuring out what may cause or trigger diabetes.

5. Melissa Markham
    Melissa Markham February 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm | | Reply

We recently visited Australia and it is amazing how much more aware they are with what is going on with Diabetes. There are red boxes in the restrooms for people to throw away their needles. It is a big problem there, more than here perhaps, but they are working very hard to combat it and figure out what is causing it. They have high levels of Type 1 Diabetes.

6. affiliate
    affiliate February 25, 2010 at 12:22 am | | Reply

working very hard to combat it and figure

7. Medicina Familiar » Estimación de los valores de glicemia a partir de los valores de hemoglobina glicosilada

[...] Wayback Wednesday: Confounded (Diabetes) Statistics (diabetesmine.com) [...]