1. Marston A., SugarStats
    Marston A., SugarStats February 5, 2010 at 10:14 am | | Reply

Wow, first comment?

Great story, as a type-1 for 19 years in a similar situation I can definitely relate. Especially the testing 30 times per day! :-/

What Matt and Tom have done has been great and it sounds like they really have their heart in the game. The more great tools we can all put out there to the diabetes community, the better.

In the end everyone has their own routines, lifestyle and way of doing things. The first steps is getting them to realize how big of a deal proper management and self-care really is for us (I didn’t realize it for myself till about 15 years in). Then it’s allowing them easy access to all the great tools we’ve create that can bring value, fit into their daily routine and make the process a more manageable one. This really is lifestyle management.

I share the same sentiments about providing a deeper understand as to how various elements (meds, food, activity, stress etc) affect our bottom line as diabetics. It proves not only valuable to us but also valuable for our support network (friends, family and physicians) to have the same information. Same with using systems that are simple and clean, having them too bulky ends up not helping anyone.

Automation has always been the key. It’s always been our goal and we’re moving that way, I know/hope others will too. Though I have to say, dealing with (some of) the meter manufacturers and jumping through FDA regulation hoops has been quite the nightmare… Don’t get me started.

This is a huge issue we’re all trying to tackle and I’m glad to have like Matt and Tom on the front lines with the rest of us. I look forward to seeing what they come out with next!

Cheers,
    Marston Alfred, SugarStats.

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm | | Reply

I’d love to see some cooperation between app creators to share what they know about diabetes data formats, insulin duration and behavior, etc. This would help others start to get creative about apps that might dramatically change how we manage our diabetes.

3. Emily
    Emily February 6, 2010 at 3:09 am | | Reply

Good information!!
    Diabetes is a chronic disease which affects nearly 8% of the world’s population. So the most popular diabetes-related iPhone app is Glucose Buddy? It allows diabetics to record and monitor their glucose levels, as well as their medicine, food and physical activity.

4. Dave
    Dave February 12, 2010 at 6:46 am | | Reply

As a type II, I sometimes wonder why medicare only authorizes testing twice a day. I guess they are not diabetic. . .
    With high sugars, I test about 3 to 4 times a day minimum.
    Been shoveling snow with a snow blower. It actually dropped the sugars a hundred points. The readings went from 268 after I ate to 158 after I was done exercising.
    I love your idea of the Glucose Buddy. What I would really like is a chip under the skin that would allow me to keep a constant vigil on the sugars in conjunction with your Glucose Buddy. Then I could really keep track of what is good and bad.
    FDA will not approve those units yet. Something to do with their being in the back pocket of certain companies that produce sticks. . .

5. affiliate
    affiliate February 24, 2010 at 11:56 pm | | Reply

Great story呀

6. Max
    Max March 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm | | Reply

Wow, this is an awesome invention, the glucose buddy has to be the most convenient of BGMs I’ve ever heard of! I have an iphone and it would be so convenient to use it as the BGM instead of carrying it along all the time.