1. Andrew Tiedeman
    Andrew Tiedeman February 18, 2010 at 9:17 am | | Reply

Such an amazing story! I wish there really was a watch that would give real-time readings like he mentions. Way to go Kris, keep pumping and repping USA!

2. jessica
    jessica February 18, 2010 at 10:18 am | | Reply

Great interview. I love the line “I nailed my glucose.” Getting it right really can feel like winning the gold!

3. Crystal
    Crystal February 18, 2010 at 10:38 am | | Reply

Awesome.

Good luck this Saturday, Kris!!

4. Leanne
    Leanne February 18, 2010 at 11:35 am | | Reply

I had the opportunity to watch Kris race on Monday. The course was pretty torn up by the ladies and we were wondering why the men weren’t out warming up like the ladies did.
    Great interview but sadly Kris finished 59th in the 15km on Monday, not 4th.
    All the best to Kris on Saturday … every Type 1 I know is cheering for ya!

5. Brendan
    Brendan February 18, 2010 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

The Dexcom actually takes readings every few seconds, though it reports the average of those only every 5 minutes. I wonder if one of the companies couldn’t work with him to give out this real time day. The battery life is less important (only needs to last for race time) and the data itself would be invaluable in seeing the reactions of BG during intense exercise.

6. jana
    jana February 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm | | Reply

Question: In the photo he is putting the O-pod on his arm. Does the muscle tissue interfere with the function of the insulin? I always thought we were supposed to work with soft tissue (not that he has any, but…).

7. Brendan
    Brendan February 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm | | Reply

Endo always tells me muscle will work the same, but every package of insulin says not to do it. Is there any research on it? I often wonder what people with very low body fat do since they cannot rotate site normally.

8. Wendy
    Wendy February 18, 2010 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

WOW!!!! What a great interview!!!!!!! So crazy how he is to balance this with…oh yeah…the FREAKIN’ OLYMPICS!!!!!

SO COOL :) :) :)

(The fact that he has 30 pair of skis for different snow variants is crazy too. It’s like managing D – only in the form of weather!!!!)

9. David RC
    David RC February 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm | | Reply

“Kris Freeman, who finished fourth in the 15k classical race at the 2009 World Championships, had a 59th-place run punctuated by a wrong turn as he was supposed to head for the finish line.”

Great guy and wonderful inspiration….. however, he came in 59th place. He’ll do much better come Saturday!!!!!!

10. June S.
    June S. February 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm | | Reply

I sure hope he’ll be able to continue wearing the OmniPod. I have low body fat, and some lipoatrophy from years of primitive insulin injections. I had to give up the OmniPod, due to a combination of worn-out sites and adhesive allergies.

11. Diabetic Episode Slows, But Doesn’t Stop US Olympic Skier | Diabetes News Hound

[...] told Amy Tenderich of the blog Diabetes Mine in an interview that some funky conditions led to a reduction in the final testing time. That reduction only [...]

12. Pedro
    Pedro February 23, 2010 at 9:29 am | | Reply

sounds corny but win or lose, you are already a winner to the families dealing with diabetes. Winning this Sat WOULD be awesome so we’ll be cheering you on from Colorado!

13. healtheclips.com
    healtheclips.com February 23, 2010 at 10:17 am |

Checking In With Kris Freeman: Type 1 Diabetic Going for Olympic Gold – DiabetesMine…

Nice interview with Kris Freeman about competing and his life as a Type 1 diabetic. Here’s and intro. “This year, and among the thousands of ueber-athletes striving for Gold at the 2010 Winter Olympics, there’s one ueber-diabetic. His name is Kris Fr…

14. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm | | Reply

What a great interview. Isn’t it amazing how much Kris needed to up his basal rate before the 15k race?! I think it is really incredible (and damn tricky) how our bodies react to exercise, and different types of exercises, or the same exercises with different intensities, or … you get the idea.