1. Karen
    Karen January 4, 2010 at 7:30 am | | Reply

I was so excited for your great success and a happy ending to your story – until that clunk. Oh well, good for you for giving it a try though. And now that you know the insulin survived, maybe next time you can add a bit of tape over it or something – to help solve the adhesive problem.

2. Casabby
    Casabby January 4, 2010 at 8:32 am | | Reply

I am not going to start an Omnipod versus traditional pump war, but your post shows why I’m not ready for a tubeless pump. We do have a hot tub and I wouldn’t want to deal with the hassle and guilt of potentially ruining a pod everytime I went in the tub. (Currently I also feel that the tubing is much less problematic than the size of the Omnipod, but that’s me.) Next time you’ll have to use extra tape and then give us feedback on how the insulin performs 1 or 2 days later.

Loved the end of your story, although I’m sorry that your hot tub success ended up with a clunk.

3. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog January 4, 2010 at 8:34 am | | Reply

My daughter always bathes with her pod on. We were told that was one of the pluses: that she could bathe or swim without disconnecting.

Though we don’t let her in hot tubs…I thought the extreme hot water could cause blood sugar to drop.

Didn’t you read the HUGE warning sign? LOL?

4. Rachel
    Rachel January 4, 2010 at 9:01 am | | Reply

Ouch… so funny, but not.

Better luck next time?

5. esnouffer
    esnouffer January 4, 2010 at 9:09 am | | Reply

Still… aside from the hot tub antics, I would love to try one! There is no omnipod distribution in China though (even though it is manufactured here) and I am still on what I consider Old Faithful – Medtronic. Elizabeth

6. esnouffer
    esnouffer January 4, 2010 at 9:13 am | | Reply

And, I should add – at least it didn’t clunk in the tub! :)

7. Eric R.
    Eric R. January 4, 2010 at 9:48 am | | Reply

An hour is a pretty long time, I’m not surprised you had adhesion problems at that point. I have no problems with pods in a regular bath tub, but I don’t usually stay in longer than 30-40 minutes.
    For placement on your arms or other times when you are concerned about pod “wobbling” or other adhesion problems, have you tried a self-adhesive bandage? I use this one (from Walgreens web site, but other stores like CVS sell them, too): http://tinyurl.com/yelszx8

8. Lorraine
    Lorraine January 4, 2010 at 10:53 am | | Reply

We have a hot tub and a pool, one of which Caleb uses daily for multiple hours in the summer. We have yet to experience an issue with his hot tub use and have never had a pod just fall off despite hours of soaking. Congrats on the success of your experiment! I hope it leads to many more relaxing soaks for you!

9. Matthew Tendler
    Matthew Tendler January 4, 2010 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

Amy,

Great article!

I recently started the Omnipod and have been listing the positives and negatives of the machine every step of the way on my blog. Here’s a link to the post:

10. Cherise
    Cherise January 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

Congrats on your experiment. Lol sorry the sucker fell off! Lol

11. James Maynard
    James Maynard January 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

I’m not on a pump as a result of the contact sports I currently play (afraid it will get ripped off), but am curious, wouldn’t a normal pump have the same adhesion issues at the injection site? Or is the adhesive different and more stable since it has less weight on it?

12. earthwitch8
    earthwitch8 January 4, 2010 at 7:06 pm | | Reply

Type 1 since 1971. insulin pump therapy used and just told I have to start a statin & an ACE inhibitor. Anyone out there have opinions about 1)which are the best & 2) which has least side effects???

13. Staci
    Staci January 5, 2010 at 6:57 am | | Reply

My 13 yr. old daughter has been using the Omnipod for 2 years now. She LOVES it and can’t imagine life with D without it. She is very active, playing many sports. It has never been a problem. But since the very beginning, she has wanted to wear a Tegaderm over the whole pod. We buy a year’s supply at bulk pricing and it costs very little money this way. OF COURSE insurance won’t pay for the Tegaderm. =( But it alleviates problems like this. She soaks & swims & never has the “gummy adhesive” issue. Its wonderful. Maybe buying some of these to use JUST when you are in the water for a long time (like a jacuzzi) would be a good idea. For my daughter, she just feels more comfortable with the Tegaderm all the time. She feels the same as you with it on her arm, but the Tegaderm helps that as well. All in all, we feel the Omnipod is the BEST option out there (at least for us!)

14. Rob Anooshian
    Rob Anooshian January 5, 2010 at 8:15 am | | Reply

Great story!
    Hopefully newer tubeless pumps on the horizon which are detachable (ie. Solo pump) can resolve this issue.
    As someone who enjoys being in the water and is a diver, i usually convert to MDI’s during vacations but diving would be a bit sketchy using Lantus. Nor would a pod likely stand the depths to which one dives. So, Solo pump Im ready for you!

15. Todd
    Todd January 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm | | Reply

I’m on an Animus One touch ping pump and I’ve been considering the Omnipod. I’m confused about one thing you said: “I don’t have to carry around two devices, since the glucose meter is built right in”. Isn’t the glucose meter a seperate device from the omnipod? That seems like 2 devices to me. Or is the glucose meter built right in to the Omnipod itself, and you don’t need to carry anything else with you?

16. Diabetes Warning Signs
    Diabetes Warning Signs January 12, 2010 at 3:19 am | | Reply

OmniPod is very convenient. Exercise spontaneously, skip a meal or have a couple of snacks. With no tubing to tangle. No painful injections, no needles. Just one quick insertion every few days to covers your insulin automated, virtually pain-free insertion, no needles and the list goes on. LOL.. :) I’m glad we have these.