1. kdroberts
    kdroberts January 25, 2010 at 6:41 am | | Reply

I have metformin to thank for my 1 year old son. There is a reason why it’s on the WHO’s list of essential medications!

1. jd
      jd August 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm | | Reply

I just started on MF, 500mgs twice a day. Have been type 1 for 37 of my 42 years, have always been extremely active, currently train 5-6 days a week (weights/running etc). I have been on a pump for the last 12 years with good results, however lately I have noticed my bs heading north more often, especially after exercise, which goes back to the 5-6 days a week cycle. The doc stated by taking MF it might suppress my liver from over reacting to exercise and could help with absorption of my insulin. Since I have been taking MF by bs have come down tremendously, I don’t spike after exercise and I have pretty much cut out higher basal rates at night (I spike approx midnight). I see this as being a major part of my control for years to come, hope this is helpful!!

2. k2
    k2 January 25, 2010 at 6:58 am | | Reply

Great Post Amy!
    My Dr. prescribed Metformin for me about almost 2.5 years ago, 500mgs, twice a day. He did so because he feels strongly that MF protects the bodies vascular system, AND he’s seen tremendous success in reducing spikes in his T1′s who take MF .
    I definitely noticed less spikes in my bgs, I lost about 7 lbs, and my a1c went down.
    The first few weeks played a number on my stomach, but that went away within a month.
    After a few months I reduced the amount to once a day, 500 mgs before bed (my Doc was fine with it) because I wasn’t hungry at all.
    I stopped taking the Metformin this past July because even only taking 500 mgs a day, I had almost no appetite at all.
    Plus, I noticed my hair was thinning a bit.
    I’m not sure if that was related to stress, genetics, age, or the MF, but I decided to take a break.
    I was also nervous that since I had no appetite, I’d screw up my metabolism.
    I’ve managed to keep the 7 lbs off and my a1c’s have remained under 7, except for my last one, which was 7.1
    My Doc was still pleased because he expected to be in the mid 8′s after all the stress that life brought my way in December.
    I might go back on MF, I might not. My Dr says it’s up to me. I’m marinating on my decision for a while.
    Kelly K

3. mollyjade
    mollyjade January 25, 2010 at 7:31 am | | Reply

I had no idea PCOS was that common.

4. Barbara Campbell
    Barbara Campbell January 25, 2010 at 7:38 am | | Reply

I was originally diagnosed as a Type II and put on metformin. I tolerated it very well, no side effects as others have reported. I was recently re-diagnosed as LADA Type 1.5, given insulin but also kept on metformin by my family practioner. I thought it was strange too, but will ask my endo about it this week. Interesting post, thanks!

5. Tom Moore
    Tom Moore January 25, 2010 at 8:13 am | | Reply

Another informative piece. My Wife who is T1 has been taking Metformin ever since she was ‘upgraded’ from T2 to T1 along with 2 different Insulins.

6. Sarah
    Sarah January 25, 2010 at 8:18 am | | Reply

I have type 1 and PCOS. Metformin has been a godsend. Thankfully my endo is up on current treatments for PCOS and was more than happy to prescribe it for me. I’m taking more than half the amount of insulin I was taking before starting met. I also lost 20 pounds without trying within the first 3 months. It makes taking insulin a little tricky sometimes and my low-lows (in the 40s) can last quite a long time (an hour or more) but I’m happy to be on it.

7. AngelaC
    AngelaC January 25, 2010 at 9:10 am | | Reply

As someone who was placed on Metformin for 7 months and who is not insulin resistant, does not have PCOS, and is not in need of weight loss (I currently weigh in at 90 lbs), I feel confident in saying that Metformin is NOT an appropriate drug for anyone (type 1 or type 2) who does not meet those basic criteria. It did very little for me except to give me all of the gastrointestinal problems, reduce my appetite, cause me to lose 14 lbs (which I didn’t need to do and which I had spent nearly 10 years trying to put on), and heighten my insulin sensitivity so much that my initial dose of Lantus was only 2 units and my first insulin-to-carb ratio was 1:50. Metformin has its uses and I have believed since its initial approval back in the 1990s that it could have a place in the treatment of type 1 dm with concurrent insulin resistance or as an adjunct to weight loss. For people like myself, though, it is not a useful drug.

8. Richard157
    Richard157 January 25, 2010 at 10:37 am | | Reply

I have been Type 1 for 64 years. In the early/mid 1990s I was using Humulin insulins and gaining weight. I did not know why, so I decreased my carb intake and increased my exercise but could not lose the weight. My total daily dosage had increased 40% by 1998 and I had gained 57 pounds. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. It sure took a long time for my doctor to come up with that diagnosis. I began taking Avandia in 1999 and have been taking it for 10 years. It works very well for me. My daily carb intake averages 130g and I have lost 34 pounds. My total daily insulin dosage is now 34 units.

I have so much trouble losing the weight I had gained. Maybe I should try Metformin instead of Avandia. I have read that Avandia tends to cause weight gain, but Metformin is more likely to reduce our insulin dosages and out weight as well.

Richard

9. nici
    nici January 25, 2010 at 11:19 am | | Reply

I am so glad to read this post.

I have had increasing insulin resistance for the last five years or so, and have problems convincing my Endos of it, even though my insulin-to-carb ratios have more than doubled and I have gained 20 pounds. Only one Endo, the one I had when I lived in Germany, admitted that insulin resistance is common in type 1 women due to female hormones and that it does not usually go away until menopause.

I am pregnant now, and don’t want to add any new variables, but am gathering evidence to present to my current Endo after the pregnancy.

My mom, also a Type 1, struggled with the same type of insulin resistance during her 30′s and 40′s. The only way she could manage the weight gain was by severely limiting her calorie intake. Her insulin resistance basically disappeared after she had a hysterectomy (menopause).

10. the poor diabetic
    the poor diabetic January 25, 2010 at 11:43 am | | Reply

Been a type 2 for about 12 years now. I was on insulin for 4 years at first then I was on Actos for 2 years and finally metformin for the last 6. Not too many side effects on the metformin except loss of appetite but it also helps with the weight loss so I cant complain much.
    Its news to me however that type 1′s are taking it too.

11. Stacey D.
    Stacey D. January 25, 2010 at 11:56 am | | Reply

Thank you for posting this Amy. I have gained about 30 pounds in the last 7 years but a lot of it in the past 2 years or so. I know there are numerous factors that have contributed to this gain overall but more recently I have not changed any eating or activity habits and my insulin needs have also increased significantly in the past few months. My old CDE asked me once if I had any type 2′s in my family and when my answer was yes, my maternal grandfather was type 2, she thought that was the reason for my insulin resistance. So it appears I am resistant. I have an appointment with my endo this week and as I was already going to discuss my weight & insulin rates, I just may add this to the discussion as well. She gave me Symlin to try last year but I honestly don’t want to be taking injections again since I gave that up when going on the pump!

12. nici
    nici January 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Second try. My first comment disappeared.

I am so glad to read this post!

I have had type 1 for 27 years and have been fighting insulin resistance for the last five or so (since my late 20′s.) I have had little luck convincing my Endos of this though, even though my insulin-to-carb ratios have more than doubled and I have gained 20 pounds.

I did get one Endo to admit that insulin resistance is common in Type 1 women during their childbearing years due to increased female hormone levels. He said it will go away when I go into menopause. Great! What do I do in the meantime?

I am pregnant right now, so don’t want to add another variable to the mix, but I am gathering evidence to present to my current Endo for adding Metformin to my regimen after the pregnancy.

My mother, also a long-time Type 1, had insulin resistance in her 30′s and 40′s, too. The only way she could keep her weight in check was to severely reduce her calorie intake (think less than 1000 calories per day.) Her insulin resistance basically disappeared when she had a hysterectomy.

13. Emmy
    Emmy January 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm | | Reply

I just wanted to pass on some useful info regarding the side effects of Metformin. If you take your dose before your meal, along with a serving of yogurt and a glass of water, it can reduce or eliminate the gastric distress this medication causes. We use the “No Sugar Added” yogurt by Danone to keep the carbs down.

This worked great for my husband, and many, many friends I have recommended it to.

I hope you can pass this info along. I always enjoy your informative articles,

Emmy

14. Lauren K
    Lauren K January 25, 2010 at 5:16 pm | | Reply

I agree with Angela C — metformin has limited use in type 1s, and it has some unpleasant side effects. Exercise and weight training will also dramatically increase insulin sensitivity, so that would be first-line in my opinion. I am a type 1 woman in my twenties and I am very insulin-sensitive, probably due in large part to daily exercise.

As for 1 in 4 women having PCOS, I’d like to see the references supporting that statement.

15. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston January 25, 2010 at 6:36 pm | | Reply

good to know if, after 30+ years of T1, somewhere down the line I become “insulin-resistant” (moreso than, say, average insulin-resistance from illness, lack of exercise, etc.). Everything written here is news to me!

16. rjs
    rjs January 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | | Reply

This may help someday soon with the metformin side effects:

WORCESTER, Mass., Jun 29, 2009 Generex Biotechnology Corporation (www.generex.com) / announced today that the company has reviewed the positive data from its bioequivalent study with MetControl(tm), its proprietary metformin chewing gum product study conducted in November 2008. Results of the fully compliant ICH-GCP conducted study indicate that MetControl(tm) chewing gum and traditional Metformin tablets are bioequivalent in respect of both the rate and the extent of systemic absorption. Management believes the results provide convincing evidence that MetControl(tm) and Metformin tablets are therapeutically equivalent and therefore interchangeable. / The company is currently preparing the data in a form for submission to various regulatory authorities throughout the world. Management intends to complete a marketing assessment in the coming months in order to determine the number and order of regulatory submissions it will undertake and anticipates making submissions beginning in the first quarter of 2010. / While Metformin is currently the most prescribed drug for Type 2 diabetes, there is a significantly large population of diabetics who do not use it for a variety of reasons, including gastrointestinal side effects, large pill size and bitter taste. These are particularly important factors when considering the expanding population of children with Type 2 diabetes. Management believes MetControl(tm) overcomes these obstacles making the drug more acceptable to patients which will not only lead to more compliance with the therapy but also increase its usage substantially among the diabetic population.

Image available

There are a lot of interesting and promising advances on the horizon. Hopefully, they are successful.

17. DS
    DS January 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm | | Reply

Angela seems to be the only one here besides myself who questions the use in people who are neither insulin resistant nor overweight. My experience, after five years popping two pills a day was that I was forever grateful when I got off this drug. Changing endos was the main factor (always question what your doctor wants you to take). After five years of taking this pharmaceutical medicine, and then suddenly stopping, my blood-sugars improved. This medicine had the effect in me that I couldn’t how the carbs I was eating would flow into my bloodstream. I often suffered long terms of extreme lows untreatable with glucose (it could take up to two hours to raise my bs), followed by a miserable high. So, consider what you are taking and what for before you go on it…

Another thing, it was such a relief NOT to have to think about taking those pills, not having the detritus of the packaging, not having to carry it around–just to simplify an already complicated condition.

18. Stacey
    Stacey January 26, 2010 at 6:19 am | | Reply

I am a T1 who takes Fortamet, the extended release version of Metformin, and I couldnt be happier. I started this long before my pregnancy ( I am currently 13 weeks pregnancy with my first child) and immediately saw a drop in the amount of insulin that I was pumping into my body. I am also looking forward to this medicine helping me through the second and third trimesters when insulin resistence really starts setting in. :)

I’ll admit I looked at my Edno funny when he suggested trying Metformin…and it took me a little while to agree…But I am very happy with the results :)

19. AngelaC
    AngelaC January 26, 2010 at 8:23 am | | Reply

I want to make clear that my problem with Metformin was less with its common side effects (nausea, gas, bloating, diarrhea, etc) than with its ineffectiveness *for me*. It did lower my fastings, from 170 mg/dl to 100 mg/dl, but it did *nothing* for my post-meal numbers, which remained in excess of 200 mg/dl for 3-4 hours at a time after every meal. It also caused me to lose 14 lbs (13% of my starting body weight) fairly quickly — the majority of it within a few weeks. It did increase my insuin sensitivity, as it is supposed to do, but my problem was not with insulin resistance. Since I stopped taking Metformin, my insulin needs have remained minimal: I need only 5 u of Lantus *per day* and my insulin:carb ratio is between 1:15-1:20. Hardly the “massive” doses of insulin that would be expected if I were insulin resistant. Thus, in answer to Amy’s question, “So what if you don’t suffer from insulin resistance or PCOS? Is it still worth considering Metformin?”, my answer, based on my experience (and my experience ALONE) is an unqualified NO.

20. Chrissy
    Chrissy January 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm | | Reply

AngelaC, I think you are agreeing with everyone here. this article, and comments are saying that if you are type 1 you can still have PCOS and/or insulin resistance. And if you do, Metformin may help.

21. Sarah
    Sarah January 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm | | Reply

As a thin person with (autoimmune) Type 1 diabetes, I don’t think I would add a pharmaceutical to my insulin. I do think it would be helpful for overweight T1s, PCOS sufferers, and/or those with a genetic predisposition to insulin resistance, but not for the Type 1 community at large. I am so insulin sensitive that sometimes I only need less than half a unit for a large correction. For people like me, adding a drug to the mix would probably do more harm than good. For overweight T1s, there are other effective ways to lose weight with medical supervision and not turn to Big Pharma. Many T1s think they can eat whatever they want as long as they cover it with insulin…that’s a good way to become insulin resistant and gain weight, just like anyone else (non-diabetic) who does the same. Although most T1s are very insulin sensitive and thin, if you make bad choices, you are not automatically immune to their effects.

1. Erin
      Erin August 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm | | Reply

Hi Sarah,

I agree with your comment, however it is quite judgmental. I am 28 and have had T1 since age 5, and gained 60 pounds in less than one month when I was 21. I have always exercised daily and rarely eat more than 1500 calories per day. I can also run a mile in 6 minutes, which most people at 5’0 and 180 couldn’t do. I have been BEGGING my endos to prescribe metformin at the chance it will help me lose weight, stop facial hair growth, lowered voice (I am an opera singer and PCOS ruined my career!), and loss of hair on my head. Some people with type 1 take such strict control of their numbers they somehow become insulin resistant while doing everything right. Be thankful you aren’t one of us who have to endure ignorant comments like yours.

22. Kris
    Kris January 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm | | Reply

When my daughter Type ! was 13 her insulin requirements skyrocketed along with her weght. After several endo’s and using the internet we finally convinced our endo to try Metformin. Her basal insulin dose was cut in half with no gastrointestinal issues. She has been unable to lose any weight despite vigorous daily exercise and decreased caloric intake. We have wondered if there could be any other medication that could assist in assisting with weight loss. Has anyone tried any other medication for insulin resistance? At 19 now she is extremely frustrated as it appears she will remain 40 pounds overweight despite eating extremely healthy, etc.

23. Dave
    Dave January 29, 2010 at 7:00 am | | Reply

I am currently type II with a possible type 1.5 in the near future. I am prescribed a heavy dose of metformin(4 tabs of 500 a day) and 10 mg of glipiside). My Glucose levels are around 200-300 levels with low of 150 with plenty of exercise. I am 67 years old and have been type II for about 7 or 8 years.
    I have been able to counter the gas and loose stool that accompany this dose with a good krill oil tablet. Sometimes 2 pills are necessary. I have been countering the high glucose with 500 mg tablets of Cinnamon once an hour until the levels come down. That is why I have been able to keep off insulin. I suspect those days are going away soon. I can drop the sugar levels a 100 points using the cinnamon which makes me suspect the natural production of insulin is quite low. Why the Krill oil has that effect I have no idea. All I know is it works. Be very careful to only take one and watch the effect before taking more. Otherwise you will have the opposite problem. I caution that I can only tell you what works for me. I am not a doctor. I am just a person with a similar problem.
    The cinnamon approach might work with the type Is. First it works in a parallel way to the insulin. If the insulin resistance is there, it is there for a reason. I personally believe we are a very sophisticated biological machine with genetic errors built in. The insulin resistance is to keep you from overdosing your sugar levels in the cells and killing yourself.
    The common mistake by the drug companies and doctors is to take the high glucose levels in the blood and ignore the leptin levels and ignore what is going on inside the cells. Strangely you can have high glucose in the blood and low glucose in the cells at the same time.
    Cinnamon is not an answer. It is a temporary solution. It has the advantage of shutting down if you accidentally overdose on it which makes it fairly safe. Most drugs do not do that. I would recommend asking your doctor if it will do you any harm to try it. What works for me might be harmful to someone else. But if it gives relief from the insulin resistance in a type I it might be worth a try.
    The side effects of metformin are gas and loose stools. That is considerably less than the other drugs on the market. I would suggest a good fish oil tablet or the krill oil might help.

24. candy
    candy January 30, 2010 at 9:37 am | | Reply

I have been a type 1 for 19 years. My endo put me on the Metformin for over a year. It was not any help to me. It didn’t increase my insulin efficiency nor did I lose weight. In fact, I gained weight with it. I didn’t experience any side effects other than an increase in psoriasis.

25. Grand Rounds Vol 6, No. 19 | A Groundhog's Perspective on Med Blogs | More iPad

[...] Metformin for Type 1 Diabetics?  Amy Tenderich at Diabetes Mine once thought the idea ridiculous.  But then after looking into it more, there are definitely times it’s a good idea.  Who’d have thought of such a thing?  I am probably the only woodchuck with that knowledge.  Thanks, Amy! [...]

26. Susan
    Susan February 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm | | Reply

My daughter, 16 years old & has been on a pump for nine years, went on Metformin about 8 months ago. She was experiencing high resistance that is common with teens & type 1.

She has lowered her overall daily dose of insulin, slimmed out, and experienced no side effects.

27. Mike Burns
    Mike Burns April 26, 2010 at 8:22 am | | Reply

I have been type I for 25 years.
    About 15 years ago a visiting Dr. at my primary care prescribed metformin for me along with my insulin.
    At first the metformin made me a little dizzy, but I worked through that and the symptoms disappeared. I take 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg at night.
    My basal insulin needs reduced about 15-20%, my A1c’s are usually 7-7.4.
    I am non compliant, not a carb counter, and I eat anything I want, but keep my test kit and Humalog pen ready.
    I have never had any complications, DKA, or hospitalizations.

Here’s the best part: Metformin is a wonder drug on the cusp of being discovered. Metformin has the same beneficial results on our bodies as does the practice of Caloric Restriction, which among other things, increases lifespans in animals ranging from flatworms to monkeys.

Caloric Restriction lowers insulin levels, reduces body temperatures, reduces arthrosclerosis, and probably cancers. Metformin does all this, too, without the need to drastically cut calories.

Recently Metformin was shown to be effective at blocking lung cancers in rats.

Google these words “Metformin and aging”. We all lose insulin sensitivity as we age. All centenarians show high insulin sensitivity. There is clearly some signaling path which indicates to our bodies at a cellular level the amount of nutrition we are receiving, which results in the life extension of CR. Insulin metabolism plays a role in this signalling, and the toxic effects of too much insulin are what results in metabolic syndrome, IMO.

Just remember, insulin is toxic and metformin lets you get by with less.
    Plus it has a multi-billion human-year track record of safety over the last 50 years. It generally does not cause hypoglycemia in non-diabetics, either.

28. Marilyn R
    Marilyn R May 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | | Reply

I am a type 1 diabetic and I also have PCOS. I have had issues with weight most of my life and over the years my insulin resistance has become unbearable. I take over 100 units of insulin daily and my basal/bolus ratios are lopped sided. I have asked my endo for years to try placing me on metformin or something similar, but he refused. I recently changed dr’s to get a 2nd opinion. He was willing to place me on Metformin. I am going to start the medication tomorrow. I am a bit worried about hypoglycemia, but from the prior posts I did not see any type 1′s mention issues with that. My hopes are to get my insulin requirements down and with that I hope to reduce my weight and overall feel better. I recently have cut my carb intake to 20-30 grams per meal and sometimes 15-30 more a day depending on hypoglycemia and/or snacks. My current ratio is 1-1.4 meaning for every 1.4 gram of carbs I take 1 unit of insulin. You can see why I am very concerned about my insulin resistance especially when you consider most people’s ratios are 1-6 or 1-15. I would love to hear from anyone else that can help or maybe in a similar situation or has dealt with this already. I am new to the site and unsure how to have people contact me, but you can try looking me up on Face book.
    Thank you!
    Marilyn Rogge

1. Mari Scalici
      Mari Scalici March 16, 2012 at 6:32 pm | | Reply

Marilyn, you are not alone. It’s been almost a year, I’m curious to know what happened? I am in the same boat. Type 1 with PCOS. I take ~100units/day. I gain weight just looking at food. I’ve been dieting and exercising and nothing helps. I’ve put on 60lbs in a year. My Endo won’t put me on Metformin. I’m about to lose my head!!!

29. Eva
    Eva July 2, 2010 at 9:14 am | | Reply

This sounds like a Godsend. I am Type I for 13 years and heard about the combination therapy with Metformin and insulin. When first diagnosed I was put on insulin therapy but it made me gain so much weight I became depressed since most of my life I worked on health and fitness. I am still suffering from the weight gain and am hoping that when I see my new doctor, he can prescribe the Metformin in combination with insulin. I suppose I would have to guinea pig myself and work to avoid hypoglycemia.
    I will post my results after my doctor’s appointment and results of taking Metformin with insulin.
    Lots of luck and love to my fellow IDDMs!!!

30. JKord
    JKord August 17, 2010 at 1:19 pm | | Reply

I’m a Type 1 diabetic who just took my first pill a couple of hours ago. I had taken my normal insulin dosage before my lunch and my blood sugars keep dropping. I’ve had a can of soda and a pack of mentos to get it to 90 mg, and now it’s at 111 mg. Hopefully it will stay there. Having it suddenly drop like a rock was a little scarey, as well as needing that much sugar to get it up to 90 mg.

And I’m definitely not Type II as Type 1 runs in my family (2 brothers also Type I) and in addition had a pancreatic surgery a while back (after being diagnosed as a type 1) due to a cyst and no longer had the tail of my pancreas removed.

It definitely helps receptors, but I’m going to have to be a lot more cautious about my dosage. I’m going to take less Lantus tonight as it is slow-acting and am a litle leary about this metformin stuff after the recent scare.

I have not thus far experienced nausea.
    Good thing because if my blood sugars had plummetted and I’d thrown up, then I’d have to go to the emergency room.

It has demonstrated, however, that I am insulin-resistant. If you are a Type I, I would recommend carrying a glucogon pen and doing this very cautiously. This adjustment period is pretty precarious.

31. rosemary johnston
    rosemary johnston November 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

I’m type 1. i’m also overweight and I use about 1.1units of humalog/kg. I think I have pcos. I have a family history of insulin resistence. If I start metformin 500mg daily for 2 weeks and then 500mg bid-is there a rule of thumb for how much to drop my insulin pump rate so I can avoid lows?

32. Michelle
    Michelle January 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm | | Reply

i am t1 and have been for 3 years now me and my hubby have been trying to have a baby for 10years now i have pcos to i stop takeing metfotmin when i become t1 i did not no that you could take it if u was t1 do any of u all take it for pcos and it help and are t1 i would love to no if it would help me to have a baby

33. Natasha
    Natasha March 4, 2011 at 10:45 am | | Reply

Thanks for this article. I was just diagnosed with PCOS but I don’t have diabetes and my PCP prescribed Metformin for me. My blood sugars are in the normal range and I’m just a little bit overweight (about 10lbs) so I’m wondering why she prescribed it… I do have hypoglycemia, so will the Metformin help with that? I’ve read that it can also help to regulate periods which are a problem with PCOS.

34. jane smith
    jane smith August 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm | | Reply

I have had type 1 diabetes for just about five years. I was placed on metformin about a year ago since my basal rates were about 2.5, and my daily insulin amounts are, on average, eighty units. While I do still use metformin, I would not recommend anyone taking it, or rather, anyone placing it above natural actions such as exercise and healthy dieting to try an decrease insulin resistance. It seems to me that no drug is really, well, safe. Also, if you are taking or planning on taking Metformin, know about lactic acidosis. Kinda scary thought.

35. Margaret
    Margaret December 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm | | Reply

I am T1, 37 years, on a pump. My problem is it takes about 2 – 2 1/2 hrs for my insulin to start working. I just started, today, with metformin to see if it will help it work quicker. I am on 1:15 carb ratio. I have tried different sites, needle lengths, and diff insulin brands. Anyone else have this prob?

1. Kathi
      Kathi May 8, 2012 at 9:10 am | | Reply

Hi Margaret – I am 49 and have been T1 since I was 8. I am not on a pump and have the same problem with insulin not working the same as most people. It usually takes at least an hour for Novolog to start working on me and it will keep working in my body for over 6 hours. I have never heard of insulin resistance, but am resistant to most pain meds and some other things, so it wouldn’t surprise me. Before I switched to Lantus/Novolog combo, I was using Regular & NPH which would last me for a good 12 hours. This idea of Metformin is intriguing to me, but my body fluctuates enough that sometimes I am too insulin sensitive and have tested at 36 while sitting at my desk, so the thought of the long lasting lows is pretty scary and makes me think I would have to carry around an IV line. I would like to hear if anybody has similar reactions to insulin and how they deal with it?

36. Pebbles Smith
    Pebbles Smith December 16, 2011 at 1:31 am | | Reply

I have been on Metformin since 2007 when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, but back them my doctor thought I was type 2 diabetic. Not even a year later I developed a severe spinal cyst and MRSA. I had some tests done and found out I had type 1 diabetes and was put on insulin. I’m still using metformin and use insulin and both has helped me with my type 1 diabetes.

37. eohippus
    eohippus July 11, 2012 at 6:23 am | | Reply

I have given many people in hospitals & long term care facilities insulin & metformin as part of their regular regimen for blood sugar control for qutite some time.

38. Me
    Me December 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm | | Reply

I have type 1 diabetes, but I also have PCOS and Hypothyroid so I take Metformin and Thyroxine as well as insulin. The metformin makes a marginal decrease in need for insulin. It does help with the PCOS symptoms.

39. John
    John April 16, 2013 at 7:35 pm | | Reply

I started metformin yesterday. This is my 38th year with type 1. Hoping to break through this weight loss barrier.

40. sally
    sally June 21, 2013 at 4:24 am | | Reply

hi, I’m T1 from last 16 years . I’m extremely heavy weight. In past I was on insulin then stopped injecting insulin and replaced it with pump. In 2009 again stopped insulin and was consuming more than 8 tablets with very strict diet daily for 3 years to get my blood glucose to normal. But it always spiked to 350 .In 2011again pump was replaced with lantus and novo. I started with 36 unit Lantus + 30 unit Novomix +tablets , yet it didn’t control my glucose. My all c-peptide test were negative with no trace of C-peptide.
    My friend suggested me to start with herbal medicine from SB SIDH. As my 3 friends from same family had very positive effect with herbal medicine. Soon I was on herbal medicine from India .
    I was asked to stop all Tablet and continue with Lantus + novo mix insulin and I was asked to take Metformin + herbal medicine.
    Results were were positive and in matter of 7 months I not only manage to quit insulin completely But also started with herbal medicine to reduce my weight. My weight has been gradually reducing . Lost 30lb( 18kg) in last 6 months.Now I only take metformin 3 times a week and drink bitter Mellon juice 2 times a week. Metformin and SB Sidh herbal medicine has helped me alot.

41. Cindy
    Cindy July 21, 2013 at 10:24 am | | Reply

Type 1 Diabetic for 40 years. Just started Metformin 12 days ago. Little dizzy at times and slight nausea. Thanks to your posts I’m understanding this is part of starting the med. Normally have good control but take around 100 units insulin daily. Now 40 to 50 lbs overweight, was a thin young adult.
    Hopefully Metformin will help with insulin resistance? Weight?

42. Lindsey
    Lindsey November 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm | | Reply

So keep in mind that breaking, crushing
    or chewing of medication can initiate the absorption of medication before
    it reaches in the stomach, which can be unsafe for the body.
    The underlying issues involving diet and exercise must be
    fixed for any meaningful long term weight control to
    be achieved. Well, technically I had a dress, but
    I didn’t have a dress I loved, but it was too late to
    change that now.

43. Stephanie
    Stephanie March 18, 2014 at 8:26 am | | Reply

I have been on Metformin for almost a year for insulin resistance and PCOS. I can’t conclusively say that is has helped me at all! I don’t tolerate it well (gas, diarhea, general feeling of ick). I will be looking for alternatives. It may work for some people, but definitely not me. The only way I could tolerate the doses was if I at a huge meal (and I mean like Thanksgiving huge), which defeats the purpose of even taking the metformin in the first place.
    As for losing weight, I’ve lost more by just cutting out soda from my diet.