1. tmana
    tmana January 29, 2010 at 9:16 am | | Reply

Going through some back blog posts, Cherise’s item on “test before driving” reminded me of the passing of one of my mother’s friends, almost 23 years ago. If I recall the situation correctly, this was late-adult-onset T2, treated with oral medications. She was also full-time caregiver to her disabled husband (who, based on the symptoms leading up to his disablement, may also have had undiagnosed diabetes). The woman took her pre-breakfast pills, got distracted by her husband before eating, got dizzy, went out onto the porch of their 5th-story apartment to get some air, and fell over the railing to her death.

2. Scott
    Scott January 29, 2010 at 9:56 am | | Reply

I think the idea of a memorial wall is a very nice idea; DiabetesPortal once had a similar memorial site (see http://bit.ly/c976gu for that) and it seems fitting in today’s increasingly digital age! As for the cure, I think patients will need to be driving that vehicle!!

3. Crystal
    Crystal January 29, 2010 at 10:36 am | | Reply

:-( Always tear up when I hear of someone’s passing.

A memorial wall would be great.

And Yes, Where is the damn cure!!!!?

4. k2
    k2 January 29, 2010 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

A memorial wall is a wonderful idea Amy.
    I logged on to DiabeticConnect after reading your post. It been a while since I’d been on the site. I checked my inbox & had several friend requests – including one from Goddess. I felt sad on so many levels. I accepted her FR & wish I’d have had the chance to be a real friend to her in life.

5. priesttj
    priesttj February 5, 2010 at 11:20 pm | | Reply

I need some advice how to deal with a wife that is unsupportive of my diabetes. She continues to buy foods and fills the house with candies and baked goods that she knows I shouldn’t eat. We’ve had tons of discussions about it. She swears she cares but her actions belie that I have been living unresponsibly since my dctor diagnosed me with diabetes. My family has been ravaged by diabetes too many to number. For the last two years I have begged her to accompany me to a dietrician. She refuses and says I’m doing everything I can to help you. But she continues to buy things she knows I shouldn’t eat and fillls the house with them. Even though I buy my own foods the fact that the other stuff is so plentiful, when I’m hungry I will weaken and eat something I shouldn’t most of the stuff I’m not aware of how it will affect me.

I have even had thoughts of leaving her knowing I love her and that’s the last thing I want to do but in my world actions speak much louder than words if you really love someone there is no way you continue to put poison in front of them hoping they eat it.

6. priesttj
    priesttj February 5, 2010 at 11:27 pm | | Reply

BTW, I am so thankful to find a site like this that I can talk to someone and get immediate responses.

7. eugenia
    eugenia February 15, 2010 at 9:04 am | | Reply

To write it’s important…but the real lifeline for me it’s prayer… I know by faith…or if you want by fantasy, that our life here is a pilgrimage.We have at work in the sky many people who wants and manage to win diabetes…and on the earth there is also someone Eugenia