1. Pharmacy Blogger
    Pharmacy Blogger December 9, 2009 at 8:55 am | | Reply

ha when i started reading this i thought you were shorter than one of your children or something! The middle is a great place to be and is hard to find a perfect balance for………if that is even possible?!

2. DS
    DS December 9, 2009 at 10:28 am | | Reply

Bravo, I say!

3. Laura
    Laura December 9, 2009 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

Great post, Amy. This is just what I needed to read this morning. When I need to correct at strange times of the day (2, 3 or 4am, for example), I sometimes feel that I’ve done something wrong. But, then I realize that it’s better to correct and wake up in range than to not correct simply because I “shouldn’t.”

Congrats on your great “Mommy in the Middle” run of late. I had been loving the middle ground for a couple of weeks but, lately, have fallen into the land of hypoglycemia. I like your puzzle analogy though. With my trusty logbook by my side, I’m dumping all my jigsaw pieces on the table. I’m going to start with the border and I’m going to solve my way back to middle ground.

Here goes…

4. James Reno
    James Reno December 9, 2009 at 2:38 pm | | Reply

Great story! Love how perceptive kids are, and how they speak their mind.

To Your Health!
    James Reno

5. Fred
    Fred December 9, 2009 at 11:58 pm | | Reply

I woke up one morning (after a low) and my son 13 years old fed me about 15 antacid tablets thinking it was glucose tablets…..I haven’t had heart burn since…:))

6. Dan Patrick
    Dan Patrick December 10, 2009 at 6:32 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,
    Sometimes we can get suggestions for research based upon a visual program. I am suggesting that you view the http://www.pbs.org and click Nature. Next go to Animal, select Dog, Episode is: DogsThat Changes the World and last Go To, Medical Dogs and read the info on dogs that detect Bladder Cancer and than Delta the Dog for a type 1 diabetic young man. This will give you a reference point when you watch the program. My dog has done the same for me for over eight years while wearing an infusion pump. It is my suggestion that dogs can and do pick up a body chemical signal as blood glucose begins to drop, with the body attempting to signal for the counter-balancing factor. Otherwise and with no response by the body, that could result in a hypoglycemic state. Maybe …. there is a second counter-balancing enzyme to maintain blood glucose levels in the “middle”. It is a fact that insulin drives blood glucose down. What signals the body to release glucose so that we, as type 1s do not have a hypoglycemic effect. At this moment is time it is the constant testing to maintain the insulin flow that assists us to find the middle. Or from one of your earlier messages. It is the compass to bring us back. As always have a great day.
    Dan

7. Scott
    Scott December 10, 2009 at 7:30 pm | | Reply

Wow Amy, I love reading your blog, but I have to say – sounds to me like you’ve lost the fight with diabetes. Waking up at 2AM, 3AM, 4AM to test and take insulin….you’re not controlling it, it’s controlling you.

No offense intended, but wow, what a horrible way to live your life.

Scott

8. Bob S.
    Bob S. December 10, 2009 at 10:54 pm | | Reply

Good going Amy. I’m not sure I fully understand what Scott is speaking to but I can tell you that diabetes is a part of my life. The whole who is controlling whom sounds great on a t-shirt but really, it is part of the things that you do everyday. So is eating, sleeping, love, riding my bike, and sometimes a little confusion. And if you want to get good at it, guess what, you need to practice. So keep practicing and keep it a part of your life.

And don’t forget to get out on the bike every now and then.

9. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales December 12, 2009 at 2:15 pm | | Reply

I think testing frequently is a sign you are maintaining great control. Great job on being “in the middle” so much lately. Sometimes our life circumstances make us have to test very frequently and other times we don’t have to. You are in control if you are maintaining your glucose numbers in check and for that I commend you on your great efforts. It takes energy and courage to test when needed, especially when you’d rather skip the hassle and go back to sleep. The more I test, the better knowledge I get about how my body reacts to different variables and the less I have to test in certain situtions later on. Life is always producing different and ever changing circumstances so the spurts of frequent testing never seem to end! We want to be healthy though and THAT is a big motivation. Again, great job!

10. BeingDiabetic.co.nz | Do your kids understand your diabetes?

[...] came across this post on DiabetesMine – “when mommy’s too low, she’s feeling pretty terrible – probably [...]