1. Joyce
    Joyce December 2, 2009 at 10:27 am | | Reply

so what can be done about these bad hypos? I have noticed that when I’m working out I must go so low that my liver releases glucagon to raise my blood sugars. I come out of the gym with BG’s in the 300′s. I was working out to keep them down and now it’s the opposite. This seems to be happening more & more often, now that I’m going on 20 yrs of type 1.

2. John Lesson
    John Lesson December 2, 2009 at 4:53 pm | | Reply

I found this post very full of knowledge and a Very good Read.

3. Steve Parker, M.D.
    Steve Parker, M.D. December 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm | | Reply

Only rarely do I see hypoglycemia in a person with type 2 diabetes who is not being treated with drugs that cause hypoglycemia.

But maybe Bennett (above) was referring to people developing diabetes, but not there yet. Here’s a quote from UpToDate.com:

“Drugs are the most common cause of hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is common in type 1 diabetes, especially in patients receiving intensive therapy in whom the risk of severe hypoglycemia is increased more than threefold. Less commonly, hypoglycemia may also affect patients with type 2 diabetes who take either insulin secretagogues or insulin. In contrast, hypoglycemia is uncommon in individuals who do not have drug treated diabetes mellitus. In such patients, hypoglycemia may be caused by a variety of other drugs, including alcohol, and common critical illnesses such as hepatic, renal, or cardiac failure, sepsis, or inanition. It may be due to adrenal insufficiency, an insulinoma, or an IGF-secreting tumor. In addition, hypoglycemia can be factitious, accidental, or even malicious.”

-Steve

4. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston December 2, 2009 at 11:16 pm | | Reply

As a T1 for close to 30 years (!) – I am here to tell you that hypoglycemia unawareness does not necessarily lead to ER visits. I have had h.u. for about 15 years. It has meant I need to test more frequently, and that I’ve learned to notice some very slight, subtle, personal cues (like if I’m biting my fingernails more intently, or have a strange thought out of nowhere, that kind of thing). I remember totally freaking when I first saw shockingly low meter readings – but felt nothing! Yet, 15 years later, with or without h.u., I have never gone unconscious from hypoglycemia – not yet at least! (Now THAT’S lovely ;)

5. Diane J Standiford
    Diane J Standiford December 2, 2009 at 11:17 pm | | Reply

Thank you for more info Dr. Parker, all quite loverly! sigh.

6. Pam Messenger
    Pam Messenger December 4, 2009 at 9:39 pm | | Reply

Just went to the endo with my soon to be 11, T1D son ( 2 yrs T1D) The MD diagnosed us correctly with hypoglycemic-ophobia !! I immediatly agreed. My son’s A1C has been 7.4 for 6 months I am happy to see that number frankly, the way he eats. Any how, he has no h.u. yet.He has had a few lows that make him sick enough to be very phobic about lows . So far he even wakes up in the night if he feels low , ( lowest so far about 66). I wonder if we keep from having the really bad lows is it better off to be a tad high at his age, or to loose the sensitivity of the lows by having to many hypos?
    We just had the death of a high school senior in his sleep from T1D hypo in our town last week. Very sad experience. I wonder… is the risk for a low A1C and the possible resulting h.u.worth it ? Our school nurse points out that when the kids have consistently higher BGs they begin to feel low when they are near normal . She is seeing this in an elementary school RN office where they come in feeling low but are not even close because they usually have way to high BGs. that is not great either but at least they are not h.u…. yet.
    Kids just don’t grasp the health risk of high BG’s at age 10 and really, who wants to scare them, it is hard enough to live with this.

7. June S.
    June S. December 6, 2009 at 5:45 pm | | Reply

I was diagnosed 37 years ago, and know that for the first 10 years of Type I, my hands would shake when my BG dropped to about 70. In those days we had no meters, and my fasting BG was tested once per month, then my afternoon BG was tested the following month. (The labs that took the blood from my vein for a BG test were not open in the evening, so I never got an evening BG reading until I purchased my first meter (27 years ago this fall.) Fortunately, I got my first meter just as soon as the shaking hands symptom disappeared. Now I am very thankful for my CGM, especially during the night! I still catch an occasional low seconds before the CGM beeps, but at other times the CGM beats me to the punch!