1. The poor diabetic
    The poor diabetic December 3, 2009 at 10:02 am | | Reply

All of us have a unique diabetes tale to tell and sometimes we have to think outside the box to tell it. while my story happens to encompass 12 years and would take a few books to write, I do applaud everyone for doing everything they do to highlight the disease. With diabetes awareness getting failing grade recently I think it is up to US as diabetics to help spread the word.

2. Nic Lee
    Nic Lee December 3, 2009 at 12:25 pm | | Reply

Hey Amy, many thanks for featuring a rogue voice from the UK. Please feel free to download a copy of my book for free, from the link on my YouTube trailer, and offer feedback on my Blood Sugar Beat facebook page. No holds barred is used by us Brits, but a more apt euphimism is, No bollocks!

3. jessica
    jessica December 3, 2009 at 12:44 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,
    I don’t know anything else going on, but I totally agree with you that a directory is a good idea (might take some of the burden off of you :) ). In any case, raising funds for PWD’s in need is such an important thing to do. I’m really hoping that we’ll able to start something on A Sweet Life in the near future.

4. Dr chin
    Dr chin December 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm | | Reply

Nick lee,

great video and great advice. Stay well clear of the sugar. In china we use herbal medicine. Try to substitue sugar for herbal remedies.

5. Chuck
    Chuck December 3, 2009 at 3:15 pm | | Reply

Nik,

your story made me cry man. I want you to know that you are not alone. The lord is looking after you. The lord loves you and will always love you. The lord was diabetic so he knows your cause.Tonight I will pray for you and your family. Don’t give up. The lord loves you nic.

6. Penny
    Penny December 3, 2009 at 3:47 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the information about diabetes to all. Our Thanksgiving gathering with my family this year was dampened at the end by my youngest sister being so distressed about my mom’s diabetes. She has had it for probably 30 years. She has been depressed for a few years now. After 35 years they downsized to a smaller home. One problem I saw right away was they are now in a neighborhood with no sidewalks. She refuses even to do a stress test on a treadmill for the doctor. I think she is afraid of falling, since she falls so much. It is to the point that my dad cannot pick her up when she falls now (they are both 80). She goes to the hospital every week to be “wrapped” for her open sores caused by the diabetes. After a while they started wrapping her in Saran Wrap. I tried to calm my sister down some, but I thought she is mostly afraid of Mom dying soon. I have agonized over these types of thoughts for years now because I could see the decline of her health. She is now on insulin, which my dad gives her every day. She cannot drive & cannot give herself a shot, so if anything happens to him, she will be living with one of us or in a home. He wants to put her in a home because he is exhausted caring for her. I think he is a little selfish here, since diet and exercise would make such a difference. I don’t know how much for someone of advanced age & advanced disease side affects as these, but any information would be apprecicated. I told my sisters that if she ate 75% vegetables and only whole grains she would be so much better. I thought about getting my mom a magazine about living with diabetes for Christmas, but both my sister’s agree, dad would ignore it, mom would read it, but not do anything different. I need to find more info for myself, as I am overweight more than ever, no excuses, just don’t want to exercise & all the junk food in the house is too convenient. I am sending this blog & some other things to my sisters, who need some education on diabetes. I have 3 sisters, older has diabetes, younger one did, but had her stomach stapled & I am suspect. The youngest one who is so upset is in question in my mind.

7. Penny
    Penny December 3, 2009 at 3:49 pm | | Reply

Also, question, to Chuck, where did you get the idea that the lord had diabetes? Which lord are you talking about?

8. Kate
    Kate December 3, 2009 at 4:03 pm | | Reply

Lord Lee, obviously!

9. Ken, H&S Officer
    Ken, H&S Officer December 4, 2009 at 3:55 am | | Reply

Nik, Just seen your video and I was very moved. I was most moved viewing your video as I noticed at the start, that you were walking at height on a roof with no safety protection! Now being diabetic myself, I loose ballance and you also mentioned it in your video, so I think you were fortunate not to fall off the roof. We wouldnt want to encourage other diabetic suffers to walk at heights with no safety protection.

Also, for your comment Chuck regarding the Lord being diabetic. I also heard that somewhere!. There are lots of signs in the bible especially when he left early during the last supper because he didnt want desert.

Look after yourself!

10. nancysegued same
    nancysegued same December 4, 2009 at 4:07 am | | Reply

I was also very worried seeing this young man walking on a roof. Thank god you didnt fall. I had a friend who had diabeties and fell down the stairs in a shopping mall. She was lucky not to have seriously hurt herself. A shopper gave her a hershey bar and then she got afree lift home so it wasnt too bad.

Keep your levels undercontrol and please dont put yourself in danger. I will pray for you.

11. Jerry
    Jerry December 4, 2009 at 5:50 am | | Reply

Surly if he has his insulin in his back pocket, if he feels dizzy then he can test his blood and bring his sugar levels up. H&S always go OTT. Take a break man and get a real job. this guy is in inspiration, he is from Liverpool, England and he is trying his best to sing. It does sound a little out of tune… were you low at the time Nik?

12. Charlie
    Charlie December 4, 2009 at 6:33 am | | Reply

I just cant believe that anyone in that condition could put themselves at such risk. A diabetic should not be risking themselves walking on roofs. I am very concerned as this could set a bad example for other diabetics.
    The simple message is that roofs are a no go area for diabetics.

13. Jason
    Jason December 4, 2009 at 6:35 am | | Reply

I never heard that Jesus was a diabetic. I thought Elvis was diabetic from eating so much junk food then he went low in the rest room, fell over and banged his head. Long Live the KING!!!

14. Nic
    Nic December 4, 2009 at 8:14 am | | Reply

The Lord can walk on water, whereas we diabetics must make do with walking on roofs. And singing out of tune on them!

15. Donna
    Donna December 4, 2009 at 11:49 am | | Reply

Nic,

I just loved your book. I stayed up way past my bedtime because I couldn’t stop reading it! I finished it this morning. What an adventurous life you’ve had..and you’re still young! My favorite line was- “And I started thinking about murder…which would make a career change.” You are such a good writer, I could picture everything in my head. What a visual. I’m wondering whatever happened to your ex-wife. You seemed to have found another good woman though. Get thee to a publisher.

16. Nic Lee
    Nic Lee December 4, 2009 at 12:46 pm | | Reply

Thank’s Donna – knowing that people actually get a kick out of reading my thoughts makes all the effort I expended – no hypos while writing it, mind! – worthwhile. Maybe my ex-wife will pen her own thoughts on diabetes one day, but all I’m concerned about are those thoughts my new wife has. I don’t wanna be making the same mistake twice, huh?

17. James Reno
    James Reno December 6, 2009 at 3:23 am | | Reply

I am going to check out Nic’s blog now. I’ve been able to get off my oral meds by eating primarily raw and vegan, as well as exercising daily. In addition, I limit my fruit intake.

To Your Health!