1. Ellen
    Ellen December 14, 2009 at 7:01 am | | Reply

Fabulous post. Thanks.

2. DS
    DS December 14, 2009 at 10:07 am | | Reply

Great post–you never get used to this infliction. Never. The most important thing is to not lose heart. Reading about other people’s experiences is eye-opening. Thanks for sharing!

3. DS
    DS December 14, 2009 at 10:09 am | | Reply

Sorry, I meant ‘affliction’ :-D

4. David
    David December 14, 2009 at 10:20 am | | Reply

“infliction” works for me! T1 inflicted itself upon me at age 39.

heart-warming post and I, too, have saved the link to the ny times article to send to a (small) group of people that might truly care to understand what living with T1 is really like

5. Sixty Bucks Gone, At The Press Of a Button | A Sweet Life

[...] better news, Amy at DiabetesMine put up a great post about our coffee last week. Many [...]

6. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay December 14, 2009 at 11:31 am | | Reply

I read Catherine’s post in the NYTimes and also really connected with what she wrote. I have had similar experiences with the Symlin also. I had really bad lows until I started doing combo boluses.

FWIW I have had very few issues with Dexcom coming unstuck, and the transmitter is really small. There are other advantages/disadvantages to consider, but the size and comfort of it is probably the main reason I went with it. (I’m not currently using it, though, due to insurance issues.)

A pump + symlin + cgm + exercise make a pretty powerful combination (for me).

7. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson December 15, 2009 at 8:15 pm | | Reply

Awesome Amy. I read Catherine’s article when you tweeted about it a few weeks back, and you’re right – it is FANTASTIC! I was so happy to see it in such a mainstream media channel. Thank you Catherine!

I’ve not been using my Symlin as much lately, and I think it’s because I keep forgetting my pen, and have been a little gun shy about pumping it again. I need to get back on the horse though.

When I wear my Navigator, which is almost constantly, I have found that I need to tape down the edges usiing OpSite Flexifix tape. I tried tegaderm and IV3000, but they were too porous and came loose the second I started sweating under them. This tape works better for me and keeps the sensor right in place.

I’ll definitely take a look at Catherine’s website and A Sweet Life – thank you for pointing them out!

8. Karen
    Karen December 16, 2009 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

thank you so much for this post, Amy, and for the links to Catherine’s work. Kind of like looking in a mirror, with my taking care of 3 kids under the age of 9, dx of LADA on 9-11-02 (scary date, huh?) and my lowest of lows…drum roll please…27. I look forward to each day that I can read your blog knowing that I’m not the only one. thx again. ;)

9. Colleen
    Colleen December 30, 2009 at 2:49 pm | | Reply

Thanks for pointing out Catherine’s work, especially the NYT article! As Scott said, it’s so great to see it in such mainstream media. Props to the NYT for publishing it!