1. xim1970
    xim1970 November 4, 2009 at 9:55 am | | Reply

I liked this article (read it here just now)…you can’t get that monkey off your back, and you can’t think about diabetes in the sense of “the future”. I think it’s more damaging to hear Mary Tyler Moore talk about the “cures” they expect to find, rather than just face the fact that it may never happen in my lifetime (almost 40 now, almost 29 years with the disease). It’s better to do it on a day-by-day basis. Sort of like alcoholism…if you stay sober each day, rather than looking at it down the road, you do better. Only diabetes has that one twist…no matter how well you do in managing it, your body will decide. I had 3 months of constant highs, no matter what I did. The last week or so, right on target (100-120bg)…I did nothing different. Most frustrating part of this…but I am alive…lets hope I get another 29 years out of life!!! :D

2. Traci Wennerholm
    Traci Wennerholm November 4, 2009 at 10:25 am | | Reply

Great post, great message.

3. Alyssa
    Alyssa November 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm | | Reply

This statement really rubs me the wrong way…”she can’t have a raucous, indulgent bachelorette party or eat a big piece of wedding cake.” She definitely can, if that’s what she wants. Sure, it’s a bit more complicated with the insulin dosing and experimentation, but she can have her cake AND eat it, too.

4. DS
    DS November 5, 2009 at 4:49 am | | Reply

I don’t believe I’ ve ever used the thought, ‘how it could be much worse’, to make myself feel better–sure, that is what folks (and you might be included) tell you to do, in order to help you feel fortunate, but it more often makes them seem self-righteous, because either they haven’t really experienced your ordeal, or if they have, they haven’t thought about the words they are using. For me, the psychological immune system kicks in, nevertheless, even if I don’t think it’s fair and that having diabetes really does suck. The immune system kicks in because I (and others) are genetically disposed to want to enjoy life, and get on with it…

5. Rebecca
    Rebecca November 5, 2009 at 11:27 pm | | Reply

I’ve got to say. As I dial up a bolus for whatever I feel like eating that day and/or decide whether exercise is possible based on my daily schedule I don’t know how many times I’ve said “At least it’s not type 2″! I feel that as an insulin dependent diabetic I do have more flexibility with my food choices and exercise routine than someone who uses those as their primary diabetes control method. Sure, I’ve got shots (or a pump in my case), but besides all the fun mental math I feel like my life is (more or less) flexible and normal. I’m not sure I’d feel that way with type 2. So I guess it’s all in the perspective but I don’t feel that type 1 is any worse than type 2 to have!

6. ed hardy