1. Meri
    Meri November 18, 2009 at 8:35 am | | Reply

YES!!! YES!!! I am always told how ‘strong’ I am for have three t1 sons. But I am everything you said and more. No bravery…only a mother surviving the best way she can. A muddler through and through! Thank you for this. You totally made my day!

2. Twitted by diabetesalic
    Twitted by diabetesalic November 18, 2009 at 8:44 am |

[...] This post was Twitted by diabetesalic [...]

3. Barbara Campbell
    Barbara Campbell November 18, 2009 at 9:08 am | | Reply

Great Post! Courage is standing up to your fear, not necessarily conquering it. You don’t even “get used” to the pokes and sticks. . I still flinch when I push that button. But, I buck up and take it because it’s better than the alternative.

4. Nikki
    Nikki November 18, 2009 at 10:05 am | | Reply

This post expresses so many of my own thoughts. Besides hearing it from random people I also hear parents say these kinds of statements about their own children and it upsets me even though I know they are doing their best. I have heard many parents of a diabetic say that their child is a hero and as much as I can see it is said out of love it makes me cringe.

5. Karen
    Karen November 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm | | Reply

It’s funny you chose this post for Wayback Wednesday – because I had almost the exact conversation with one of my ballroom teachers last night. He actually said that infamous like “I could never give myself needles”. I tried to explain that when the choice is needles or death, a person if likely to do what they have to.

I haven’t written my post yet for today. Thanks for giving me a great topic idea!!

6. Laura
    Laura November 18, 2009 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

I remember when a gestational diabetic was saying that she could not stand shots. She asked how I could do it all the time. This gestational diabetic also called her endo the “sugar” doctor. It just about made me scream. Lady…you want to protect your baby you do what you have to and don’t complain. Just think…you could be me and have to inject many times a day. Needless to say…I did not offer much sympathy over her visits to the
    sugar doctor. Yuk!!

7. xim1970
    xim1970 November 18, 2009 at 6:46 pm | | Reply

Truly a positive outlook! This is quite possibly the most positive article I’ve read in my 29 years with T1 diabetes! Love the sentiment, and love you for it…thanks again Amy!

8. Colleen
    Colleen November 19, 2009 at 11:05 am | | Reply

I can’t agree more! I always hate when people say “I couldn’t do that.” Even when I was a kid my mom said I never cried or tried to escape my insulin injections. I knew that they made me feel better. Unless you enjoy puking your guts out and dealing with and unquenchable thirst until you die… then you will learn to deal with the needles.

9. Melanie
    Melanie November 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm | | Reply

This is so true! I know people are trying to be sympathetic when they say things like this about how courageous I am or how they could never do it. But all I want to say is that if they felt how I felt pre-diagnosis, they would gladly take the pain. And it’s amazing how shots and finger sticks become bearable when the alternative is a slow, painful death.

10. susan
    susan November 19, 2009 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

My experience has been quite the opposite… On August. 18th, 2008 I was diagnosed with T2 at 47 years old. Now, over 1 year later , 6 or 7 different diabetes medications that made me violently ill, twenty-five pounds that I have lost and gained,due to the med changes, I have finally been diagnosed with T1.LADA.I eat virtually 2 -3 cups of vegetables which are my carbs for the day and work out vigorously 5-6 times daily. Despite my efforts, I still canNOT lose the 25 pounds I need to. Despite my insulin therapy, I still don’t always have the energy I had 5 years ago. Yes…I feel brave and I feel like my friends and family take this for granted.They are not always supportive.As a matter of fact,I have been made to feel that may be I do not do enough or else my BG numbers would always be low, my weight would be better if I ate less ( hardly possible.) True, I feel I have no choice but to take these measures for my own health, however I do feel Brave and wish someone in my circle acknowledged it!!!!

11. Ellen
    Ellen November 22, 2009 at 8:10 am | | Reply

A diabetic friend of mine suggested I read your blog after I had a bitch session. Kudos to you. I have MS (23 yrs.), so yeah its stinks having a chronic disease, what are the alternatives? My father said “not everyone gets a good hand.” Courage to me is that one day there will be a cure so why wouldn’t one continue to be a proactive participant in managing their health while they are alive. As a counselor I tell my clients – Life…you can watch it, wear it, or live it!”

12. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson November 29, 2009 at 6:40 pm | | Reply

I loved this post back then, and I love it again now.