1. Brendan
    Brendan November 6, 2009 at 8:25 am | | Reply

At least they were taking new patients. Last time I needed to find a new doctor I spent 3 days (with strep throat) because everyone I called “wasn’t taking new patients right now.”

2. Eric R.
    Eric R. November 6, 2009 at 8:27 am | | Reply

I’m on a PPO plan, not HMO, so it doesn’t make any difference to me, but…
    This is why my endo is also a PCP on the plans that he is an in-network specialist for. It helps eliminate these kinds of run-arounds for his patients.
    Aside: I know that for some people an HMO is their only option or their only affordable option, but more and more doctors (including my endo and my father, an internal medicine specialist) are refusing to participate in HMO plans. My father says that among his colleagues, the best docs won’t do HMO at all any more.

3. Heidi
    Heidi November 6, 2009 at 8:29 am | | Reply

WOW, that is a big ordeal to go through just to find a doctor! I worry about what will happen when Mattie (11) gets older and where the health insurances will be.

Hopefully you can get it figured out soon. May I ask when you were diagnosed?

4. Bill Halper
    Bill Halper November 6, 2009 at 8:48 am | | Reply

You may want to look on the insurance carrier’s website. They all have their provider lists on-line and the sites will give you the doctor’s ID number. After that, call customer service at the carrier and make the change.

You also have to make sure that your new PCP can refer you to your endo. You’ll have a problem if they’re in different medical groups!

5. Crystal
    Crystal November 6, 2009 at 11:22 am | | Reply

So frustrating. My PCP’s office has a website, which is nice because I always forget how to spell her name, oh and the phone number. Luckily I’ve been with that “practice” long enough that when I was switched over to her after my old PCP left, all was easy enough, records were already there. And I love her to pieces. She is fantastic.

6. Bob Fenton
    Bob Fenton November 6, 2009 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

Obtaining PCP 101. You don’t need a class in obtaining a PCP now, but you should cover this topic in another post. There are so many factors to consider and you and hubby have experienced more than enough of the problems to do it.

Bob

7. uberVU - social comments
    uberVU - social comments November 7, 2009 at 6:42 am |

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by Health_Posts: DiabetesMine: Adventures in Primary Care http://bit.ly/m0vxH
    #diabetes…

8. lori
    lori November 7, 2009 at 10:10 am | | Reply

Read your post with a smile; just went through the same exact thing this week getting my daughter a new pediatrician. I had one that I really wanted, but she isn’t taking new patients and we’re 15 deep on her wait list. With h1n1 out there, I wanted to get us somewhere sooner versus later. I also found an all-digital practice, and great docs. I use HealthVault, and this doc is going to look into sharing as well. Have you considered HealthVault? You can upload blood glucose readings and save a record of them digitally. Can do the same with peak/flow readings, which is handy, as my kids have asthma.

9. Rachel
    Rachel November 7, 2009 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

I’m on a quest for a new PCP after my current practice “lost” my EMR of my April 2007 physical. How do you LOSE a EMR?

10. dargirl
    dargirl November 8, 2009 at 3:21 pm | | Reply

A PWD has to be insurance savvy to survive…….

Do I go to a PCP for this or that?, Do you go to the Endo for this or that? What will be my co pay calculation for “in network or out of network”. I am responible for how much? Do I have PPO, or HMO or SOL when I just don’t have insurance. Searching for a Dr. is not about his level of excellence. It is about insurance processes. No wonder it took so long to figure out the Health Care Reform Bill.

11. Interactive Health
    Interactive Health November 8, 2009 at 9:35 pm | | Reply

A good provider is essential. One that you can discuss several issues and someone who knows you well enough to push you when needed. I saw another comment on EMR – EMR may be on contract – a lot of things can go wrong with an EMR – They can be very difficulty