1. DS
    DS October 28, 2009 at 6:44 am | | Reply

That last one gets on my nerves very much. When one considers just how much a single test strip costs, I about lose it. That alone is a multi-million dollar business. One thing that gives me hope on a daily basis is the active criticism of the system that can be found in blogs like this. There cannot be too much. It’s a shame we can put a man on the moon and yet no very real progress has been made in the form of ‘cure’, especially in reference to type 1. Active patient pundits are neccessary and in the long run may be the deciding difference. Because face it, we have the most to gain…

2. uberVU - social comments
    uberVU - social comments October 28, 2009 at 7:12 am |

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by Health_Posts: DiabetesMine: Wayback Wednesday: Seven Things Worse Than the Diabetes http://bit.ly/FFJc9
    #diabetes…

3. Thomas Moore
    Thomas Moore October 28, 2009 at 8:10 am | | Reply

As always, Amy nails it!!

4. Chris Stocker
    Chris Stocker October 28, 2009 at 8:16 am | | Reply

I think “housework” would have been a good one. The hardest part of the housework for me is everytime you pick something up, towel off the floor, sweep something, whatever it is, there is just one random test strips laying there. Parenting anxiety is my worst one. I am not ready to have a little one yet, but I think about it almost everyday because I don’t know if my girlfriend would be able to handle it at first because she is already so freaked out that when I go to sleep my sugar will drop so low I won’t wake up.

5. David
    David October 28, 2009 at 8:28 am | | Reply

It surprises me that medical science apparently still does not fully understand T1. I guess the T cell autoimmune attack explanation is simplified and leaves out a lot of detail in how it occurs.

Five years since dx, I continue to be blown away by how inconvenient it is when the body cannot make insulin. Just a couple generations ago, diabetes was a much harder disease to manage. Lots of good people are working on it. We’ve already got fast analog insulins, small syringes, and accurate, portable bg meters. I believe treatment options will continue to improve and yes, someday, a future generation will benefit from a cure.

6. LindaB
    LindaB October 28, 2009 at 9:13 am | | Reply

I’d have to go with;
    Cancer, nuff said
    IBS, hard to leave the house
    annoying in laws, I can bolus for high, or treat a low, but, irritating inlaws, outside of divorce, there is no cure!! :)

others could be Insurance Co. bureacrats,denial letters, black box labeled drugs, that Ins. will cover, but, not the FDA cleared, med, that they have been paying for for yrs. GRRRR!!!
    But that is related to the diabetes.

7. Rebecca
    Rebecca October 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm | | Reply

I had a long conversation about the “too profitable to cure” problem at the last diabetes conference I was at. This is one place where I thank God for a free market economy. Whoever develops the “cure” first will 1) charge an obscene amount that we’ll all willingly pay and 2) patent it so that no one else can develop it. They will then cure any who are able to pay their absurd cost since to them it’s all about making money. In reality it won’t be the meter companies, the pump companies, or the insulin companies that develop the cure because the research wouldn’t be cost-effective for them but someone new will come in and put them all out of business. The one we’ve gotta hope for the pure scientific community to stumble on the right one. But when they do, yes, they will market it and it will be available for us to buy if we can pay their price.

8. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson October 30, 2009 at 9:32 pm | | Reply

It was all too clear to me how uncomfortable the gluten thing is for you, as I sat across the table and watched your lip double in size right before my eyes.

It was an eye opener for me, because I didn’t realize just how drastic and different people’s reactions to their allergies can be.