1. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston October 13, 2009 at 8:18 am | | Reply

Yup. My pops – a non-diabetic – has CVD (formerly called ‘hardening of the arteries,’ right?) and has had quadruple bypass surgery. Anyone wonder why his T1 child is taking a statin?

2. k2
    k2 October 13, 2009 at 8:53 am | | Reply

Thanks for writing about this Amy!
    My Endo treats every patient, Type 1, 1.5, or 2 as if they are a heart patient because the risk of heart disease is so high!
    As for me, I’m a triple threat- Type 1 Diabetes, heart disease, & strokes are rampant in my family history. I’ve been on Statin’s for years to prevent any heart and stroke complications. And as much as I HATE popping those pills- I refuse to let my family history repeat itself in the heart and stroke department. Type 1 Diabetes is enough!
    Now- I’m off for a brisk walk at lunch, to exercise my heart!
    Kelly K

3. Pubsgal
    Pubsgal October 13, 2009 at 11:07 am | | Reply

Medications are important–I still need metformin for managing my type 2 diabetes–but I sure underestimated the effectiveness of healthy eating and exercise. It’s made a huge difference for me; I never would have realized how good I could feel until type 2 diabetes scared me into taking better care of myself.

4. Bob Fenton
    Bob Fenton October 13, 2009 at 11:12 am | | Reply

Thanks for this timely reminder!!!!!!!! Just completed my cardiolite stress test. Do not have results, but EKG was great.

Diabetes was discovered when I was hospitalized for angina. Doctors weren’t happy to discover that after they were already in to balloon arteries and implant stent. Education is part of the key and while doctors have pamphlets around for the taking, that does not help. Most effective that I have noticed is large poster in waiting room with information on it and the same in the exam rooms.
    Bob

5. Managing diabetes
    Managing diabetes October 14, 2009 at 4:10 am | | Reply

Very good post! One can also try out eating cucumbers on a regular basis to remove fat deposited in the bloodstream and cells which is the leading cause of diabetes

6. dargirl
    dargirl October 14, 2009 at 6:39 am | | Reply

High BP medication….done! Statin…….done! Baby Asprin……..done! Exercise ……Oh F!@%%. I’ve been taking these drugs for years. A PWD with Type 1 37 years, my biggest fear of complications has been a stroke. It really freaks me out. Thanks for the post I need to go work on my exercise now :( .

7. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston October 14, 2009 at 10:29 am | | Reply

You go, dargirl (esp. 37 years – rock on!). BUT – I’m wondering, are T1′s taking bp meds even if their bp is normal? I’m down with the statin, the baby aspirin, and the exercise (uh, but the diet is sometimes kinda rich in cheese, alas…). Shall I add Lisipronil???

ps Thanks to ideas from this blog, I’m going on a Minimed CGM for one week starting this Friday – fun!

8. Scott
    Scott October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm | | Reply

We really need a cardiovascular disease risk model for type 1 diabetes. The existing models. In 2006, researchers from University of Pittsburgh found that cardiovascular risk models are NOT predictive for patients with type 1 diabetes because risk models only exist for the general population, and patients with type 2 diabetes. This is prudent because CV disease still accounts for a majority of type 1 deaths, yet type 1 risk factors are very different from type 2, most notable are the younger average age at diabetes onset and also because the presence of diabetes complications are not considered anywhere in the current CV models.

9. David T
    David T November 2, 2009 at 4:02 pm | | Reply

Carb control is a critical part of controlling type 2 diabetes. I see from their quiz page that the AHA is still telling people that it’s not true that “People with Type 2 diabetes should stay away from foods with sugar in them.”

As long as they keep pushing high-carb eating, they’re doing as much harm as good.

10. Another Year Goes By (D-Blog Day 2009) - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] family expansions, people creating their own new opportunities and coming together as both small and large groups.   For the ones who have seen any combination of these, it’s been quite [...]