1. David Edelman
    David Edelman October 12, 2009 at 7:34 am | | Reply

Amy, great post! If there are 30% of people who should go on insulin but won’t because of needle phobias, will the known benefits of better control outweigh the potential health risks of inhaled insulin? That’s the big question for me. If the answer’s yes, I think the product will be a success.

2. Anne
    Anne October 12, 2009 at 9:21 am | | Reply

If the insulin is short-acting then how will it serve as a basal insulin for people with type 2 diabetes? Certainly there is little benefit for type 1 (either you go off the pump and then have to take 1-2 injections of long-acting insulin, or you stay on the pump, in which case, you would just bolus WITH YOUR PUMP). If the insulin action profile is truly miraculous, allowing “insulin levels to return to normal after digestion, preventing hypoglycemia and the need for diabetic patients to eat just to manage their insulin” (riiiiight…), then maybe it will be a success. Still, the lungs seem to be one of the few organs untouched by the effects of diabetes (as far as I know); why would I take ANY risk, especially when for me it would be less convenient? I agree, the FDA should give this very close scrutiny.

3. Nikki
    Nikki October 12, 2009 at 1:16 pm | | Reply

I personally feel that inhalable insulin is a product that was created by people who clearly aren’t a PWD. People often mistakenly think that the hard part about diabetes is the injections. As we all know the injections are the easy part its the rest that get challenging. I don’t really think that there is much of a market for this product. I could be wrong but most type I’s at least wouldn’t want to carry something of that size and inconvenience around.

4. saramy
    saramy October 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm | | Reply

Putting aside all the issues of potential lung problems and all the other issues, I can only imagine the taste would be kind of icky! I know that’s probably a small issue for most people, but not for me. I’m happy with my pump and my CGM.

5. mcityrk
    mcityrk October 13, 2009 at 12:36 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy-

Speaking of David Kliff, any recent commentary from him on when a final decision on Amlyin’s once a week Byetta is due from the FDA Thanks-

6. Rodney
    Rodney October 13, 2009 at 2:04 pm | | Reply

I was on one of the inhaled insulin trials a fews years ago (’02?) in Dallas. My biggest issue was the amount of control. You had 2 dose sizes to choose from. You either had to do a couple of the smaller ones or one of the larger ones, and nearly every time I used it, I would go low. It was a clunky machine to operate and there would always be some residue left over after you inhaled, so I don’t know how it could be as controlled as even being able to dial up half-units on the new pens.
    The study I was in was focused on the ‘long-term’ effects but they were only testing lung capacity, before-during-and post use, rather than any MRI’s or lung/cancer effects. I think it ran about 6 months.
    I would be concerned about offering this product to a senior. The lows seemed (at least to me) to hit rather quick and harsh. I can’t rate any of the newer delivery methods as it was a number of years ago that I was involved.

7. Clare
    Clare October 14, 2009 at 5:04 pm | | Reply

The alveoli were designed for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide, not for insulin uptake. No thank you MannKind.

8. Ethan
    Ethan October 15, 2009 at 4:06 am | | Reply

Thanks for Exubera,s image. I inform that the Insulin from outside the body is not an adequate treatment . Type 1 diabetics who would rather die than take their insulin injections

9. olga
    olga October 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm | | Reply

two points, all pointing to thanks, but no thanks (dosage control!)

1. a while ago i worked at a biotech, and one of the guys in business dev was ALL OVER inhalable insulin. he would drag me over for a coffee, his eyes all googley, and go on about how great it would be to no longer have to take shots. not a PWD, surprise! i tried to explain how that’s not the tricky part…

2. i’m on a team investigating how “high-risk medications” are handled in a pediatric hospital. of the five drug categories, insulin is one. i certainly would not recommend something as imprecise as an inhalable delivery, for kids or adults.

time for my basal dose! (heck, today’s short needles are a dream compared to what they had 26 years ago!)

10. Grand Rounds: Brain and Cognition edition | SharpBrains

[...] Diabetes Mine wonders about the safety of inhalable insulin. [...]

11. Treatment Guidelines Elevated Cholesterol-A New Guide | Total Personal Health Care

[...] Mixed Feelings on Inhalable Insulin (diabetesmine.com) [...]

12. Taylor
    Taylor November 16, 2009 at 9:52 pm | | Reply

A pretty informative post overall, but why all the negative feedback. As a teenager with atypical diabetes, the kind where even my endocrinoligists is wary of putting in the type 1 or 2 category, inhalable insulin would be a godsend. I’ve given insulin injections to my grandmother for a while now, and when I was diagnosed gave them to myself. Not fun. I’m not taking insulin now, but the rigorous diet and excercise routine I need to manage my glucose levels is impossible for an active teen. I’m not sure if inhalable insulin is worth the trouble now, but I certainly hope research doesn’t end because it isn’t marketable.

13. MJ
    MJ August 23, 2010 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

I’d be interested to learn more about the faster-acting part of this. Could be to the diabetic community what the emergency antihistimine injection is to allergies.

14. Raven Devaughan
    Raven Devaughan June 22, 2012 at 7:50 am | | Reply

I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to reach my goals. I definitely enjoy reading everything that is written on your site.Keep the posts coming. I loved it!