1. Bennet
    Bennet October 8, 2009 at 6:31 am | | Reply

“Doctors and health technology vendors currently think about doing things to patients or for patients, but not WITH patients; this needs to change.”

Amen and we are on the front of that curve. The Atlantic had a good article on power to the patients that made an example of the insulin dependent community and speciffically the diabetes online community as leading where health care needs to follow.

WoHoo for us! Patients Rule!

I posted a link on http://www.YDMV.net but you save yourself a click and go direct: http://tiny.cc/qVVPD

2. Bennet
    Bennet October 8, 2009 at 6:41 am | | Reply

Somehow I screwed up posting a comment. That takes tallent. Maybe not a good one but a certain tallent none the less.

“doing things to patients or for patients, but not WITH patients; this needs to change.”

There is an article in the Alantic that speaks to this and put insulin depenednts on the front of the curve and the DOC too. Go US! I up a link off http://www.ydmv.net but you can go direct to The Atlantic: http://tiny.cc/qVVPD

3. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales October 8, 2009 at 10:19 am | | Reply

Great article! I am so glad those representatives were communicating on patient’s behalf. I have not needed a doctor for my type 1 diabetes for many years (which i don’t necessarily recommend, mind you) and have found out (often the hard way) that we diabetics are capable of learning all the ins and outs of insulin and the pump and how our diabetic bodies respond to exercise and different foods. All of us patients should become experts in our own diabetes and own the responsibility. Then we should communicate our experiences with doctors and use their guidance and medical expertise to tweak our control. Doctor’s need to view us more as partners whom they can learn and gather information from. Together we can work towards an increase in better diabetes management for millions of diabetics and an increase in understanding by the doctor’s who serve us.

4. Alex Bettencourt
    Alex Bettencourt October 8, 2009 at 12:35 pm | | Reply

Wow! We couldn’t agree more with this and it’s why we created patient centric software. It’s EXACTLY why RememberItNow! was created.

Our founder, Pam Swingley searched in vain on the internet for a solution that could help her manage her father’s medications, and keep her family updated on his care.

With no results and a lot of frustration, Pam decided to create RememberItNow! Our service features medication reminders and the ability to create a private care community.

Check out our website at: http://www.rememberitnow.com

Or, check out our review from PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352488,00.asp

PC Mag has also said, “Most people would probably make better use of RememberItNow because it’s more intuitive to use, easier to share with others, and better serves caregivers.”

Best,

Alex Bettencourt

5. TRM
    TRM October 8, 2009 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

Very informative…

6. xim1970
    xim1970 October 10, 2009 at 6:55 am | | Reply

“…patients can and do add a great deal of value…”
    Ya think? Without us, doctors wasted 8 years of their lives…sorry, I was feeling sarcastic this morning! ;)

7. James Reno
    James Reno October 12, 2009 at 10:24 am | | Reply

Some of these apps sound great. As long as they don’t add too much hassle such that they take away from healthy habits. I keep a simple daily log of my morning blood sugar, and what I did for exercise. By eating mostly raw and vegan I don’t feel a need to chart calories etc, as my weight is good. Every 6 months I go in for a checkup and blood tests.

That works for me, and each individual must find what works for them and will keep them motivated!

To Your Health!
    James Reno

8. Tina Hill
    Tina Hill November 10, 2009 at 11:39 am | | Reply

I couldn’t agree more with the four points from the Patient Panel discussion. I’m looking forward to seeing how patients become more integrated into healthcare and become a valued part of the healing process. I personally believe there is amazing power in patients sharing info and personal experiences with others and supporting those who have the same diagnosis. There is such comfort in knowing that you are not alone in facing whatever challenges may come. Sometimes the physician is not able to provide the comfort and reassurance that another patient can provide to someone who is facing a new medical diagnosis.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

9. Health 2.0 Conference - Cool New Companies | RememberItNow! Blog

[...] The show featured a number of exciting new health solutions, backed by innovative entrepreneurs. One of the best roundups of these new companies was done by Amy Tenderich, from the popular Diabetes Mine [...]