1. kdroberts
    kdroberts October 30, 2009 at 7:31 am | | Reply

I make the choice a lot at work and it’s kind of become a running joke. One of the few sweets I really like is brownies and people at work know it. Before I was diagnosed if people brought them in I would find one at my desk, the bosses always asked me if I wanted the crusty ones (my favorite type) and so on. Then I got diagnosed and things changed. I would eat a small one here or there but mainly avoided them. Then earlier this year they started a fit club at work and every week used to have a healthy pot luck which one of the items was a “healthy brownie.” So I have an IM conversation with the person who cooked them and found out that they were a box mix called no pudge and was made with fat free yogurt. I checked it out online to and after a brief back and forth I said (copied from the IM log) “i’d have to take extra insulin and, no offense to your brownies, i dont want to do that for a fake brownie!” So that story went around and now I get people with various baked goods and candy asking me if it’s worth it or not.

I have no problem dosing to cover something I want, will enjoy eating and don’t have very often but I’m not going to do it just for the sake of fitting in or because I can. Luckily for me I’m not a fan of American chocolate or candy so it’s very easy to pass it up. If they started giving out brownies though I may be in trouble!

2. Vanessa
    Vanessa October 30, 2009 at 8:20 am | | Reply

When my son was diagnosed at two years his endo said he could eat absolutely anything (in moderation) as long as he tests and covers with insulin. We have always operated that way. He is well-adjusted, happy and in has great control. He knows if he splurges, he will test, re-test and correct for the next several hours and it is usually worth it for him.

3. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill October 30, 2009 at 8:26 am | | Reply

I’m with PowerPumper – I eat what I like, bolus and try to keep an eye on my BG. It’s not always perfect, and I don’t expect it to be, but I do my best to be aware, responsible and conscientious about how I do it. I think Halloween is easier because finding the carb counts for particular candies is as easy as reading a package or looking online. If only Thanksgiving dinner or homemade baked goods were as simple – I still indulge then too, but obviously having to guess carbs adds another variable.

Anyway, for me, bolus-worthy is anything I like to eat as long as it’s done in moderation. It doesn’t have to be so black and white, choosing between denying oneself and pigging out.

4. Barbara Campbell
    Barbara Campbell October 30, 2009 at 8:45 am | | Reply

I hope you don’t mind, I refererenced this great blog post in mine today.

The only way I can combat high BG is to exercise it down. So, my question is: What is Sweat Worthy?

I can totally relate to kdroberts who is a brownie fan. . even a crunchy-edged-brownie fan! I LOVE chocolate and being a newly diagnosed Type II, this is a tough Halloween for me. One fun-sized bar is no fun whatsoever as it requires at least 30 mins of heart-pounding, sweaty producing exercise. So, unless I want to spend HOURS at the gym, I’m going to have to be VERY choosey about my Halloween treats this weekend. I’m thinking Reeses!

5. ML
    ML October 30, 2009 at 11:07 am | | Reply

Here’s a helpful guide for the carb counts for all those “fun size” candies. You’ll still have to decide if it’s bolus-worthy, but at least you’ll know what to bolus…

6. Lauren K
    Lauren K October 30, 2009 at 3:00 pm | | Reply

I really believe type 1 diabetics can eat whatever they want as long as they bolus for it, but having said that, I think eating refined sugars is never a good idea for anyone. We have one life, that’s very true. And is it worth chipping away at the years you have left just to eat junk?

I have a massive sweet tooth but I’ve found that the craving and desire for sweets goes away when you stop eating them regularly. Fruit starts to taste sweeter and more satisfying when you cut down on refined sugars, for example.

7. jessica
    jessica October 31, 2009 at 8:12 am | | Reply

Hi Amy! I’ve been thinking about Halloween candy too. I’m trying to stay away from it altogether. I just blogged about spending Halloween with my black cat instead of M&Ms. Did you guys know cats can’t taste sweet?

8. whimsy2
    whimsy2 October 31, 2009 at 3:37 pm | | Reply

My trick or treat “treat” tonight are holographic pencils. And when they’re not appropriate (like if the trick or treater is in arms), a small box of raisins (although that may not be age-appropriate either, I trust the parents to put them aside until it is.)

. I. Will. Not. Give. Candy.

9. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales November 1, 2009 at 9:29 am | | Reply

I check my blood sugar a lot so that I can indulge on Halloween. I only eat my favorite chocolate and make sure I get in some exercise and plenty of water. I don’t eat anything sweet too late so that I don’t have fluctuating glucose numbers in the middle of the night. I also do this from time to time just to enjoy icecream or any carbs in general-say like once a month. Its hard work checking a lot but worthwhile for me since I would prefer something sweet over filet mignon any day. Thats just me.

10. Chris
    Chris November 2, 2009 at 7:23 am | | Reply

Sadly, I generally just avoid the situation all together. It just isn’t worth all my hard work and efforts for probably 24hours of struggle later. The serious up and then the crashing down and then the rebound and then the nausea….. NOT worth it for something that isn’t even healthy for me anyway. Not to mention its humanly impossible to get the dosage correct. At least that’s how my experience sees it.
    So what do I do? I don’t indulge – hardly ever. once you get yourself on a routine of never indulging its easy to maintain. my diabetes control is more important to me than a peice of cake. It’s unfortunate, but 6 years of type 1 has lead me to that answer only.
    HOWEVER, my idea of indulging is having one or two bites (usually of whatever my husband is having) does that count? it saves me SOO much trouble (though still wrecks a touch of havvock)
    and type 1′s can NOT eat whatever they want, Its not as easy as “Oh 15 grams of carbs, 1 unit of insulin) sugars, refined sugars, are not that cut and dry. Your body doesn’t process it nearly as neatly as THAT, though what a dream that would be.

11. TW
    TW January 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm | | Reply

Good post and a fantastic read. You have raised some valid points. Great work, keep it up. I love returning back to this site and reading the quality content you always have on offer.