1. Laura
    Laura September 9, 2009 at 6:17 am | | Reply

Ha!! I searched the world over to buy sling back close toed shoes…trying to be good but frankly these shoes are ugly. I want my open toed sandals back. Sigh….

2. Tweets that mention » Wayback Wednesday: Dry Between Your Toes - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: Wayback Wednesday: Dry Between Your Toes http://bit.ly/423A3F #diabetes [...]

3. Lauren K
    Lauren K September 9, 2009 at 11:53 am | | Reply

I think all the hysteria about diabetic feet is a holder from the pre-tight-control era. I wear sandals and go barefoot all the time in my house and yard. If my endo tried to tell me I shouldn’t, I would be outraged, and probably switch doctors. I would find that remark highly inappropriate.

If you’re in tight control, why worry about your feet any more than a normal non-diabetic person would worry?

4. pking
    pking September 9, 2009 at 9:18 pm | | Reply

My doc hasn’t looked at my feet in a couple years and I think I had to ask him to do so the last time. He said there isn’t much to be concerned with at my age (31) even though I’ve been diabetic for about 19yrs. I seem to still have great feeling and haven’t had any issues, but I do wish she’d check annually.

The the comment above me (Lauren) – even in context of what I’ve just said, it sounds like you’re not really aware of what’s at stake – at least from your tone, that is. Changing doctors because they suggest that a diabetic protect her feet… what else would you expect a doctor to do, recommend that you put your feet at extra risk since you have good control?

Anyway, I’ve got a couple of black toenails from a recent backpacking trip and I’m finally starting to worry about the rate at which they’re growing out. I have good control and am pretty fit, but permanent damage to my feet would be pretty high on my list of awful things.

5. k2
    k2 September 10, 2009 at 2:45 pm | | Reply

Amy –
    “Feet don’t fail me now!” is absolutely a Diabetes war cry! Hang in there! You can still wear pretty shoes, just not “Drag Queen” pretty shoes- which I’m so the fan of by the way.
    I have more “structural” issues with my feet than Diabetes related issues. But D certainly maks those issues more “interesting.”
    I find that pretty wedges work great,and am a HUGE fan of custom orthotics! Just make sure the shoes you wear with them are deep enough for the orthotics!
    Kelly K

6. Florian
    Florian September 10, 2009 at 4:27 pm | | Reply

If you want to treat your feet, try a Reflexology Massage. I go once a month and have been doing it for 2 years now. It feels so good and is very relaxing. The massage therapist can also tell you if there is anything unusual or different since the last time. You can also ask the therapist if they would use a monofilament to test feeling and sensation in the feet. For a half hour massage I pay $30.00. The Podiatrist looks for 15 minutes and charges your insurance $100.00 if not more.

7. Lauren K
    Lauren K September 10, 2009 at 8:58 pm | | Reply

I don’t like doctors speaking to me as if I am an out-of-control diabetic. That’s what I find offensive, and I would switch physicians if one of them gave me advice that was not applicable to me and my situation. Diabetics are not all on track for massive horrific vascular complications. I’ll keep my A1c under 6 and continue to wear flip flops.

I also don’t like personal advice from physicians. They are there to answer my questions about my health based on evidence-based medicine, not give me lifestyle advice. I’ll listen to their medical recommendations, provided they are based on solid science, but it’s my life and I make the decisions.

8. Symposier
    Symposier September 12, 2009 at 3:39 pm | | Reply

I was really shocked when I read that the girl had to have her toes removed!
    Since I was very ypung my mother told me to dry between my toes because not doing it could cause fungus or something worse and I am not a diabetic but since some diabetics suffer other complications with their skin this measure is really important. At Symposier site there is more information for phsycians on this disease and other medical topics such as melanoma that is also mentioned in this article.

9. nowazetired
    nowazetired September 13, 2009 at 5:51 am | | Reply

I’ve had this numbness and stabbing sharp pain in one of my toes. Could that be neuropathy? My doctor says it could be so we did an A1C test just a few days ago. Still waiting results. Once I was diagnosed with diabetes and was on meds, then my levels were dropping too low. My doctor took me off of meds and told me to randomly check glucose levels. At this point…..just waiting results.

10. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales September 19, 2009 at 8:51 pm | | Reply

From my personal experience, if someone has an A1c in the normal range (mine is under 5%) then they could probably wear any kind of shoe. I wear 4 inch stilletos every day. (Or at least I did a year ago before I gave birth to twin babies who keep me homebound and in flip flops :)

11. Discover How to Treat Sweaty Feet Naturally | Total Personal Health Care

[...] Wayback Wednesday: Dry Between Your Toes (diabetesmine.com) Dissolving Gallstones – 3 Non-Surgical Ways to Dissolve Your Gallstones Gallstones Remedy – 4 Essential Diet Modifications Dissolving Gallstones Naturally – 5 Medicinal Properties of Artichokes in Gallstones Treatment Non Surgical Gallstone Treatment – 3 Medically Recommended Methods You Have 10 Good Reasons to Eliminate Finger Nail Fungus Natural Treatment of Hypothyroidism The Top 5 Signs and Symptoms of TMJ Practical Way To Stop Excessive Sweating Chickenpox – Evolution, Signs and Symptoms 5 Effective Ways on How to Stop Sweating 5 Miraculous Ways on How to Stop Armpit Sweating Tonsil Stones Treatment – How to Cure Tonsil Stones Tonsil stones and Halitosis herbs stop snoring          [...]