1. Tweets that mention » Life, By the Numbers - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine and Cherise Nicole. DiabetesMine said: [Blog] Also, why daily #diabetes care is NOT like brushing your teeth http://bit.ly/TyM9H Geez… [...]

2. Faye
    Faye September 11, 2009 at 8:15 am | | Reply

Kudos to that guy! Perhaps he is a type 1 himeself?

If daily diabetes care is like brushing your teeth, we type 1′s have a toothbrush in our mouths all day. :)

3. tmana
    tmana September 11, 2009 at 8:19 am | | Reply

That’s a detailed log? Mine includes everything I eat, plus blood pressure and weight checks, plus a weight timeline, plus nutritional analysis and (of course) workout info.

At this point I’ve not found a good omnibus application to handle health-specific information (bg, bp, and other health-related quantifications such as IOB/basal/bolus, ketones, any other periodic at-home blood checks (might be needed for people dealing with cancer, leukemia, or anemia), any output checks (urine volume/home urinalysis for people w/ kidney disease)) in conjunction with complete dietary input (with customizable database) and exercise information (including fitness-monitor upload for all levels of Polar, Nike, Garmin, Timex, etc. monitors)…

I am seriously considering upgrading my Polar Heart Rate Monitor to one that hooks into a detailed analysis program, primarily to be able to view anomalous excursions, but I think it will also help to me understand my fitness/recovery cycles and where I need to improve my training. For my normal stuff it’s overkill, but being able to record anomalous excursions will allow me to share with my medical team and understand how my body reacts as I grow older.

Interesting captcha: pictures reclines….

4. The Numbers... The Numbers... | At Home With Dad

[...] glimpse into why I sometimes might look at you with a dazed and confused look on my face… Life, By the Numbers. This entry was posted on Friday, September 11th, 2009 at 9:33 am and is filed under Here Come [...]

5. Khürt Williams
    Khürt Williams September 11, 2009 at 9:05 am | | Reply

Yep. D requires me to rember so many numbers.

@Faye: I actully do brush my teeth several times a day. I have those travel size disposable Colgate Wisps in my desk and in my car and D kit.

6. Val
    Val September 11, 2009 at 9:07 am | | Reply

The first thing that struck me was “Holy crap – she corrected for a 126 at bedtime?!? I would be ecstatic with a 126 at bedtime!” since my +-50 pts overnight rise/drop would still keep me fairly safe… I guess YDMV, and it usually does ; )

PS liked the toothbrush comparison, both yours and Faye’s.

7. Lloyd
    Lloyd September 11, 2009 at 9:17 am | | Reply

Insulin dependent T2′s go through the same thing, just much less risk of DKA.

-Lloyd

8. Traci Wennerholm
    Traci Wennerholm September 11, 2009 at 9:30 am | | Reply

We need to introduce our insulin pumps to the Apple guy. Awesome idea.

9. Ed Aboufadel
    Ed Aboufadel September 11, 2009 at 10:25 am | | Reply

I’m “that guy”, and a friend told me about the blog. My son has type 1, and he is 10 years old.

I don’t know anyone who works for Apple or Nike, but I am trying to get connected to someone at Medtronic.

10. anonlurkermom
    anonlurkermom September 11, 2009 at 10:41 am | | Reply

Wow Amy, I remember the good old days when my daughter’s I:C was 1:15. She was MDI then, and it made for easy math. Now, she’s pumping and I’m glad because her I:C is 5 and the CGM still shows very sluggish response. And how about three cheers for IOB another awesome improvement from waiting it out with MDI. (Yikes, that’s alot of anycromns.)

11. k2
    k2 September 11, 2009 at 11:23 am | | Reply

Amy –
    OUTSTANDING!!!
    I LOVE Ed and would love to buy him a beer, and I don’t even drink beer!
    As for the “numerical soup,” great job!
    Growing up I was never any good at numbers. Heck, I was a Litt major in college and stayed far away from the Math Lab. But diabetes forces us to get very good at numbers, whether we want to or not!
    kelly k

PS- I used a lot of exclamation points, but this post required them all!!

12. Ed Aboufadel
    Ed Aboufadel September 11, 2009 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

Nike +D — that’s a great start! I’m new to DiabetesMine, so I haven’t seen this before.

13. June S.
    June S. September 11, 2009 at 4:36 pm | | Reply

Amy,

Is the OmniPod system now keeping track of Insulin on Board for meal boluses as well as for correction boluses? When I used it, it only kept track of correct boluses, and it was impossible to see the actual IOB number on the PDM. Perhaps Insulet has made some improvements besides fancier colors on their screen.

14. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston September 11, 2009 at 5:00 pm | | Reply

off-topic, but I know we were all alarmed by the NYT article this summer abt the lack of accuracy in Bg meters. The conversation here inspired me to switch to the Wavesense Jazz meter — almost. I have had no trouble getting my Dr., ins. co., and pharma to get me the strips – just a darn hard time getting my hands on the meter! Seems they are in limited distribution and only available thru on-line companies that require you to buy the strips from them (or something like that). As a group of folks very concerned abt our numbers, I thought I’d share.

And ps thanks to Ed!

15. Cathy
    Cathy September 11, 2009 at 5:14 pm | | Reply

Most people don’t give Type 1 diabetics or Type 2′s on insulin enough credit…. the math and numbers never stop! Esp for a Type 1 child growing….

16. xim1970
    xim1970 September 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm | | Reply

“For those who are not, but assume that daily diabetes care is “like brushing your teeth,” think again. Maybe it would be — if your life depended on toothpaste and every gram of food you ate had to be matched per a precise ratio to the exact amount of toothpaste you ingested.”

I thought this is possibly the BEST quote to be given to anyone who cares about a Type I diabetic…it is quite possibly the best way to put how we take care of ourselves as diabetics! It is a constant amount of “guesswork”, and we can never be sure of the outcome…we just have to be prepared for the worst, whether it be high or low. Like the Boy (and Girl) Scouts, always be prepared!

17. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston September 12, 2009 at 9:35 pm | | Reply

(or is that “like the Boy and Girl Scout cookies,” xim1970? ;-)

18. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson September 14, 2009 at 7:28 am | | Reply

I have terrible trouble remembering other important numbers in life because of all the diabetes numbers constantly swimming in my head!

19. Kathy
    Kathy September 14, 2009 at 5:32 pm | | Reply

Try the low carb lifestyle promoted by Drs. Eades, Dr. Richard Bernstein, Dr. Mary Vernon, et al, also at sites like dsolve.com, nmsociety.org. I’ve been doing it for 3 weeks–lost 6 lbs., lowered insulin dosage by 27%, feel great, lots of energy, no ravenous hunger, no carb cravings. Dietary fat => heart disease is bogus. It’s the high sugars AND HIGH INSULIN, which you will never hear from your mainstream endocrinologist. The info’s all on the web from reputable, bonafide medical and research professionals.

I think the Animas pump is better. I’ve been on it for several years, and it does have IOB as well as “EZ BG” for which you enter amount of carbs, BG, and it calculates bolus while showing IOB.

20. Tink1272
    Tink1272 September 16, 2009 at 6:32 pm | | Reply

i wish they would make something like that for the G-Phone that doesn’t cost a fortune.

21. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales September 19, 2009 at 8:12 pm | | Reply

The numbers thing is so true! I once had a nightmare where I got confused and began switching all of the “numbers”. I didn’t know if 100 was a good blood sugar reading and I didn’t know how many carbs per unit of insulin, etc. I just ran around in my dream trying to get a hold on what all of the numbers meant! I woke up amused to say the least!

22. Karyn
    Karyn September 22, 2009 at 11:28 am | | Reply

Hi there…I was turned onto your blog by a friend of ours. You see, our 18 month old son was diagnosed with Type I on September 10th….it already seems like a lifetime ago. Our lives now revolve around food, carbs, needles and keeping a constant vigil in fears that we will miss something and will pay for it dearly. We are doing it ‘old school’ and not using the pump for a few reasons, the utmost being to learn the basics and always have a fall back method of ensuring that peace of mind. Plus our health care doesn’t support the pump and as a result we pay out of pocket for it. Please, forgive my ignorance as I am so new to this. I am just curious why it is that you take so many BG readings throughout the day. Is it based on how you feel (if you are feeling ‘off’) or is there something we are missing because we are on the needle and confined to when we can give insulin? With our little guy, we do a reading before each meal/snack….which need to be a minimum of 2 hours before and after the last ingestion of carbs and then one at our bed time and one at 3 in the morning….so usually about 7 a day. Love to hear your input!!!