1. Stacey Divone
    Stacey Divone September 3, 2009 at 7:59 am | | Reply

Thank you for this article Amy. I have, for the first time in my life, been struggling with weight gain and never realized what a struggle it is to balance food, exercise and bg at the same time. I won’t however be giving up my exercise even though I’m not seeing any kind of weight loss because it does make me feel good and I know it’s good for my insides :)

2. Fitness Blogger » Blog Archive » » You Dissin' Exercise? – DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] AmyT wrote an interesting post today on» You Dissin' <b>Exercise</b>? – DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blogHere’s a quick excerpt [...]

3. Andrea B.
    Andrea B. September 3, 2009 at 8:06 am | | Reply

I loved how Sheri pointed out that it can get tricky for Type 1′s to exercise. This year was my first time ever working out. I really have no excuse now because my apartment complex has a great gym that has 24 hour access. Once I started working out I noticed that I was always going low during or after a workout. I would eat before and would check my BG afterwards. Always low I would chug a juice drink. This became my new excuse on why I can’t exercise. I never thought about the glucose tabs. Thanks for that idea.

Healthy eating and exercise is something that should be done by most not just diabetics and people who are overweight. The benefits are there.

Andrea a.k.a. Sticky Sweet Mom

4. Rachel
    Rachel September 3, 2009 at 8:18 am | | Reply

Most of all, I feel better when I exercise. That’s enough proof that it’s good for me!

5. Anne
    Anne September 3, 2009 at 9:58 am | | Reply

I think the Time article misrepresented the original study, from what I have heard. Of note, all people in the study who exercised saw a reduction in waist circumference. I don’t know if they measured body fat %-age in the original study but I agree–it is not all about the scale (although it cannot be ignored either).

I have found more success exercising before meals, rather than after, actually, because I am generally further away from my last bolus. If I exercise right after my meal, I am walking a very fine line between overdoing the bolus and battling lows during my workout, or bolusing too little and battling highs. With consistent exercise in the morning, for example, I might reduce my basal a little or none at all and get through a workout without any lows. Before I start, I might eat a banana or something equivalent if my workout is >1 hr long. Usually I don’t even need to bolus for this (or might bolus like 30% of normal) if I eat right before starting.

I have found an effective method for me is to use appropriate nutrition during a workout, eat a meal right after (breakfast or dinner, usually), and then treat the rest of the day as if I hadn’t exercised (ie, do not treat myself).

6. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie September 3, 2009 at 10:01 am | | Reply

Amy, thanks for being the voice of reason (again!). People lose sight of the simple equation noted in your blog – to lose weight you need to expend more calories than you consume. Another associated key that helped me manage both my weight and my diabetes is portion control. Are you really drinking 8 oz of juice, or have you just grabbed a 12, 16, 18 oz bottle from the health club juice bar?

Fair Winds,
    Mike

7. Chris Stocker
    Chris Stocker September 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm | | Reply

And this is yet another reason why I have cancelled my subscription to this magazine. To even have this on the front cover of such a high level publication is ludicrous. Isn’t one of the main reasons today that there are so many more type 2′s being diagnosed is because they are not exercising? This just drives me insane how this makes front cover. Thank you Amy for calling this article out. Like the post states, even if you don’t lose weight according to your scale, you will at least be somewhat healthier and feel better about yourself. What a bad decision on the part of TIME to release such nonsense.

8. Dr. Dina Ralt
    Dr. Dina Ralt September 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm | | Reply

exercise benefits are not simple the calories that we spend but more important – the energy efficiency balance that they exert.
    That’s why we need to do it daily or we lose the better efficiency balance. Think of our body as the car gear box …exercise requires a shift…and the body will keep on with this shift for about 24hr.
    If you care to read more :

9. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston September 3, 2009 at 11:56 pm | | Reply

Like Anne, I don’t go low if I exercise in the morning before eating (and bolusing) — something about mornings (not just dawn phenom) and it works. If planning to exercise after afternoon or evenings meals, I often take a minimal bolus but leave the basal alone.

I agree that it’s all about fitness/wellness – not about the scale/pounds. My endo always says to keep exercising, even though the days when I don’t exercise at all (end up sitting at my desk all day, like a rainy day) are often the most stable Bg days – very little Bg fluctuation. But who wants to live in a body that hasn’t moved all day? Not me. I try to keep moving. I also think it’s good for my heart and overall metabolism.

ps it’s “rebuttal” – sorry, Amy. ;)

Great post.

10. How to Exercise Throughout Your Day
    How to Exercise Throughout Your Day September 4, 2009 at 9:54 am | | Reply

Let’s also keep in mind thin doesn’t equal fit. To get fit you need to exercise

Rick
    Sensei J. Richard Kikrham B.Sc.

11. Edwin
    Edwin September 5, 2009 at 1:18 am | | Reply

I think that the exercise may prevent the fat cells from accumulating and by prompting the body to burn calories from fat before burning calories from carbohydrates and it reducing feelings of hunger.

12. xim1970
    xim1970 September 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm | | Reply

I personally don’t have a problem with my weight (5’8″, 150 lbs), but I have had problems when I do anything strenuous (I like to hike/geocache). I have to disagree with Gary Scheiner, CDE. I’ve often run into high blood sugar because I assumed that I would burn off a good portion of my carb intake while hiking. Turns out that I can have higher blood sugars (I believe) because there wasn’t enough insulin to allow my body to use the sugar that was available to me. Remember, insulin is what ALLOWS your body to USE that sugar to fuel your muscles during exercise. Hard lesson learned a few years ago: wound up with severe hyperglycemia…yet I wasn’t eating, or taking insulin. Liver delivered stored sugar to my body, but because I wasn’t taking insulin (because, I figured I wasn’t eating, I didn’t need it), I still wound up with 1500 blood glucose. To take less insulin is insane, because, although you might avoid an extreme low, you can also risk an extreme high, because you will have nowhere for your sugar to be used…that’s why we have insulin. It should be a balance. I’ve learned to be prepared for a low during a hike. But at least my body can use the sugar I’ve ingested, because I took a reasonable amount of insulin. Another diabetic balancing act!

13. Kirby
    Kirby September 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm | | Reply

I wonder who wrote this. My exercise has helped me lose 38 lbs in 3 months. Ride a bike, qit reading the drivel put forth by modern media!

14. Diabetes and Exercise
    Diabetes and Exercise September 16, 2009 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

There is a health benefit for exercise (such as decreasing insulin resistance) that occurs even if there is no weight loss.

15. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales September 19, 2009 at 8:42 pm | | Reply

Like Kirby I wonder the same thing. I have always been able to lose weight easily with exercise. However, I don’t walk…I run and do intense yoga and in conjunction with proper eating the weight always comes off. I just give less insulin and try to exercise at the same time every day and for about the same amount of time. If someone is fit rather than fat, they don’t feel hungry after working out. So I suppose getting fit first is important so the feelings of hunger subside.

16. Some adjustment of The Danger of Hidden Blood Pressure with Diabetes | Total Personal Health Care

[...] You Dissin’ Exercise? (diabetesmine.com) [...]