1. Jim D
    Jim D September 29, 2009 at 6:42 am | | Reply

Interesting article. I’m glad to see that I’m not the only PWD-1 that is disillusioned with the ADA, I’ve been that way for at least the last 30-years. I think one of the biggest issues I have with the ADA is that the majority of their funding is derived from Type-2 related activities, so that’s where their focus is at. I was happy when the JDF came around and was focused on Type-1s, that was a revelation for me as a young Type-1 back then.

2. dargirl
    dargirl September 29, 2009 at 8:35 am | | Reply

I am excited to get my hands on this book. Last year I read Cheating Destiny and that was truely an eye opener. It is frustrating that that there are so many opinions. Wouldn’t it be exciting if we could bring the ADA, JDRF, Joslin, patients, DRI, FDA, researhers all in one room and everyone says “We need to work this thing out.” Is a CURE only a dream in my head?…..

I am a PWD Type 1 for 37 years. I am 55 years of age and sadden because I believe that there will not be a cure in my lifetime. My hope is for our increasing populaton with Diabetes.

3. James Reno
    James Reno September 29, 2009 at 9:23 am | | Reply

Very informative. I look forward to part 2. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 3 years ago. However in the last 6 months I took more control of my diet and exercise. My fasting blood glucose was averaging 131 while on oral medication.

I decided to cut out alcohol, diary, red meat, and focus on mainly a plant based raw food diet (for the most part) and exercising every day, not just 2 – 3 days per week. The result have been very good. I now average about 114 fasting blood glucose and I have not taken oral medication during those 6 months.

I had a checkup yesterday and the doctor congratulated me and told me to keep up the good work and that no medicine was needed.

So for me, the solution is consistency with diet and exercise. I hope this helps others. If you’d like to learn more you can (see link below).

To Your Health!
    James Reno (editor Raw-Food-Repair.com)

4. tmana
    tmana September 29, 2009 at 11:54 am | | Reply

I’ve not gone as far as James, and in fact, found that cutting down my protein consumption (beloved banner of many vegetarian/vegan and raw-foods proponents) resulted in iron-deficiency anemia. What has worked for me has been cutting down on grain products (especially breads), watching portion sizes, focusing on fresh/whole foods (fresh fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes, whole grains, fresh lean meats), keeping an eye on the fats I consume, and having a consistent serious exercise program. I have been off all diabetes medications since January 2004.

5. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange September 29, 2009 at 2:44 pm | | Reply

As a 40 year veteran, I agree that the “try harder” approach taken by many medical professionals is fundamentally broken.

What we are looking for here is basic behavior modification. And it take much more feedback on what is good behavior and what is bad behavior than a quarterly (if that) visit can accomplish. For any type of behavior modification, the feedback must be immediate (and appropriately positive or negative). If that is not present, all you will ever get is a “try harder” with no real results except for frustration and guilt.

It is very difficult to accomplish this type of change on your own and there are so few resources to help the average Joe who doesn’t have a lot of extra finances and/or time. This is one place where networking sites can shine.

And I totally agree with your ADA appraisal. I put the JDRF in the same boat somewhat. While I agree their research efforts are laudable, once I became an adult T1 with diabetes, I pretty much fell of their screen. I often feel that I am an invisible sufferer of an invisible chronic disease.

6. Sara my
    Sara my September 29, 2009 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

Fascinating interview and can’t wait to read his book. Too bad it’s not available for the kindle reader (have requested amazon to do so). I’ll read the hard copy if necessary.

7. June S
    June S September 30, 2009 at 4:04 am | | Reply

I take issue with James, who has Type II and claims to be on a mostly raw food diet. I’ve heard that these diets are sorely lacking in nutrients such as B vitamins (and I’ll bet they are low in Vitamin D, too.) I’ve had Type I for 37 years, and have tried many different diets after following the one the hospital put me on at the time of diagnosis. My blood glucoses are best controlled when I include some meat/fish. I also eat a balanced diet (including vegetables, fruit, complex carbohydrates.) I do allow myself small chocolate bars (without filling) before getting on the elliptical trainer, which I do 6 days a week for 45 minutes. I’m healthy because I work at being healthy, but wouldn’t it be nice to find a cure for this disease? If a cure isn’t found in my lifetime, then I hope that a preventative will be found so that Type I and II cases will not be on the rise as they are now!

8. k2
    k2 September 30, 2009 at 9:14 am | | Reply

Excellent interview and book. Dan really gives us so many Diabetes avenues and issues to explore!
    Kelly K

9. Edwin
    Edwin October 1, 2009 at 4:03 am | | Reply

Thanks,
    I offer congrats for your great informative articles.

10. "Diabetes Rising" by Dan Hurley - Scott's DiabetesScott's Diabetes

[...] did a two part interview about a year ago (Part 1, Part 2), and there was something about what Dan said that pulled at my [...]

11. Emelia
    Emelia October 23, 2014 at 7:50 pm | | Reply

Hey There. I found your blog the usage of msn. That is a really neatly written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read
    extra of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely
    return.