1. CALpumper aka Crystal
    CALpumper aka Crystal September 15, 2009 at 6:26 am | | Reply

Glad you found/saw the specialist!

Hope your hubby is much better very soon!!

2. Ellen
    Ellen September 15, 2009 at 6:41 am | | Reply

I’m sorry to hear about your husband. It’s great you had the tenacity to find the best doctor for your husband. Wishing him all the best. Ellen

3. saramy
    saramy September 15, 2009 at 6:43 am | | Reply

So sorry to hear about your husband and hope he’s feeling better. It’s a terrible disease but sounds like you caught it early enough to prevent long term complications. Having a house in CT, where Lyme disease, and now two other tick borne diseases are rampant, about 50% of the population gets hit eventually. I’m a weekender and when I got hit, I called my primary care doctor in NYC and he brushed me off. Even though I had classic symptoms, except no bulls eye rash, and I told him emphatically that I thought I had lyme, this stupid ignorant doctor told me, ever so casually – “nah – you don’t, but if I didn’t feel better in three or four days come in to the office and we’ll run a test.” Well, I didn’t wait- I drove up to CT, sick as a dog and went to a local doctor in CT. She engaged immediately- ran tests and at 7AM called my home in CT, my cellphone and finally my home in NYC to tell me I really was sick and needed antibiotics right away. Bless her. But why are doctors, even those in NYC who are so close to areas of epidemic lyme so clueless? It is frightening – especially with T1D to contend with at the same time.

4. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill September 15, 2009 at 6:43 am | | Reply

Oh, Amy! That’s dreadful – not just the diagnosis, but all that led up to seeing the specialist, and getting that definitive diagnosis! I hope the treatment course makes all of this a distant memory.

I know there must be good ER docs out there, but I have to say, I’ve lost count of the horror stories I’ve heard about ER physicians. As you mentioned, going to the ER is unnerving enough. No need to add a doctor who doesn’t know how to diagnose or treat a problem.

5. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell September 15, 2009 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Amy, I’m sorry to hear about your hubbie getting this. I hope those antibiotics kick in and knock that Lyme disease out of the ballpark.

6. Karen
    Karen September 15, 2009 at 6:55 am | | Reply

Oh how terrible. I’m so sorry you both had to go through this. But good for you for doing the research and getting your dear hubby the help that he needed. I hope he is feeling much better soon – and I’ll send good thoughts out to you both.

7. Alison
    Alison September 15, 2009 at 6:56 am | | Reply

Sending lots of good wishes to you both.

8. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston September 15, 2009 at 7:26 am | | Reply

Yikes Amy. What a nightmare!

I had a similarly faulty and well, not completely catastrophic, but kind of – experience with an ER doctor who didn’t hit the mark with me. My situation was much rarer (a spinal infection), but several weeks after my ER visit, I was hospitalized and in much worse shape than if the ER doc had considered doing some basic things (like blood tests) in the first place. Grrrrr!

As to Lymes, I know people who have had it. Some severely. The good news is that my friend who had it worst, who lives in Seattle and got it in New England (read: her doctors didn’t really know much about it), is now *completely fine.* It was a tough period of living with the uncomfortable, unpleasant symptoms and the antibiotics, but her health eventually returned 100%. She considers herself totally cured. Your husband will spring back in due course.

In the meantime, you can comfort each other, and know you can both handle such things and survive, maybe a little more worn for wear, but maybe a little wise too? Sigh!!!!

9. riva
    riva September 15, 2009 at 7:43 am | | Reply

Amy, all our good wishes. Probably the hardest part is feeling powerless, but you did the utmost to put the power back in your hands. riva

10. tmana
    tmana September 15, 2009 at 8:27 am | | Reply

Lyme is one of those things that worries me occasionally (especially since most renfaire grounds and picnic grounds are rife with insects and arachnids of all sorts), but being allergic to insect bites in general, I tend to have a rough time of it in general… and insect repellents often seem to attract more bites than limit them.

What I don’t know, in that regards, is whether a tick bite would inflame more, or less, than “less insidious” insect and arachnid bites, what the pain parameters would be, and so on… so it’s hard to know when to worry and when to not-worry.

11. Stacey Divone
    Stacey Divone September 15, 2009 at 8:51 am | | Reply

I’m so sorry you had to go through such a traumaztizing experience with your hubby :( But I’m glad that he seems to be feeling better and that you were able to see a great specialist. Sending prayers for you both.

12. Colleen
    Colleen September 15, 2009 at 9:26 am | | Reply

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.

13. Rachel
    Rachel September 15, 2009 at 9:41 am | | Reply

I hope that all goes well in his recovery and that there are no lasting effects. :)

14. Diana
    Diana September 15, 2009 at 10:10 am | | Reply

So sorry Amy! But I agree with you, if not for your aggressive research and resources, time and otherwise, you’d have been sunk. My best to your “rock”.

15. faith
    faith September 15, 2009 at 12:27 pm | | Reply

Stay persistent!
    About ten years ago I contracted Lyme and it took three blood tests before I tested positive. That’s three weeks of IV treatment that the specialist put me on before we received a positive result. If we had waited I would have been sicker so much longer.

Also read the book “Bull’s Eye” if you haven’t already. It’s the BEST book about Lyme that I’ve found. Feel better!

16. BT
    BT September 15, 2009 at 1:49 pm | | Reply

This is Amy’s husband here. Thank you all so much for the get well wishes, here on DiabetesMine and via email. I do feel a lot better, thanks to the right medical care and Amy’s initiative. Cheers!

17. Anne
    Anne September 15, 2009 at 6:08 pm | | Reply

Best wishes to your husband, Amy. I am glad you finally found some competent medical care.

18. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson September 15, 2009 at 8:35 pm | | Reply

My goodness Amy! What a mess! I’m glad that he is doing alright. It sounds very frustrating, all the rigamorole you had to go through.

19. Gaelyne
    Gaelyne September 15, 2009 at 9:18 pm | | Reply

Wow, I’m so glad you were so pro-active. When I got to the part about having a huge red spot on his back I cringed. I had similar but it turned out to be an abscess that required emergency surgery and I’d gone septic (infection in the blood stream). It took over 2yrs to recover from that, so I can fully appreciate all the implications.

I hope his recovery is indeed 100% and thank goodness you pushed to see the right doctor!!

20. Nan
    Nan September 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm | | Reply

wow, Amy! that is something! so glad you ARE aggressive and getting the correct help. i guess diabetes is the reason we all are so aggressive in researching and asking and writing and demanding and…we have to be!…so, score one for the big D.

21. Nancy
    Nancy September 20, 2009 at 6:03 pm | | Reply

As much as you dont want to hear it. There are rules of nature that are hard to stop. The most important being “survival of the fittest.” Nature wants the smartest and most clever to survive to improve the gene pool. Obviously you and your husband are very smart and savvy and quickly learned how to work the system and not give up. Weaker individuals dont care and dont want to learn how to do that. We can help up to a point. Even with Obamacare, there might be a government official that would help a weaker individual to find out who the best dr is, etc. But it’s very time and labor intensive. I would like to see funds going to establish schools and classes where people learn how to navigate the medical world.

22. Birthday Grand Rounds
    Birthday Grand Rounds September 22, 2009 at 3:05 am |

[...] Diabetes Mine – Another Diagnosis In The Family Up until now it’s been all about me and my #$%@ chronic illness. That wasn’t so bad, for me. Far tougher is the realization that someone you love — someone who’s been the rock of your existence — may not be so invincible after all. [...]

23. Lyme Disease Natural Remedy Report *Updated – High Conversion* | Cardiovascular Disease

[...] Another Diagnosis in the Family (Lyme Disease) (diabetesmine.com) [...]

24. Kia Ren
    Kia Ren November 17, 2009 at 10:30 am | | Reply

Dear Webmaster,

Pathology.org is the largest up to date informational database consisting of general health and disease information. The only way to combat disease and promote healthy living is to provide the public current information on health and diseases. Pathology.org consists of breaking news in the health world and offers the information needed to take preventive and combative measures to fight disease. Your website seems to be a very credible resource and would beneficial to us in the fight to combat the contraction and spread of disease. You can aid us in this fight by simply putting a banner or link up for us, making our site available to your vast public. I have included the code for the banner within this email showing you exactly what this banner will look like. Thank you for your time, effort, and work you have done, we look forward to any thoughts you may have.

Pathology.org is awarding you as top resource and if you would like to get the banner, please email me back with the subject line as your URL to avoid Spam and also to make sure that you only get the banner.

25. shelly
    shelly June 30, 2010 at 9:58 pm | | Reply

I just took my 17 year old son to doctor today, I feel so foolish because I told him it was a heat rash and a pulled muscle. Know it turns out it could be Lyme disease and because of my own ignorance it has been left untreated for almost a month and know he is showing signs of muscle fatigue, back aches and other obvious symptoms according to this website. He was tested for this, but results won’t be back until Monday or Tuesday because of July 4th weekend. i think they should put a rush on it, but to them I am probably just a pain in their side. i am very worried about my son and I feel very guilty for not trusting my instincsts. I didnt want to rack up a huge medical bill when I was having surgery myself July 2nd and would be off work for 2 weeks at least. i thought I was being smart, but in the end I was very dumb and put my son’s life in serious danger!!!!! As a mother, I should have did better by him. I am hoping for the best, but i don’t have a good feeling about the outcome. i am very sorry Kori that I didnt do better by you. I am 90% positive that he has this from all the hours of internet browsing on lyme disease, maybe i shuld tell the doctor to do the same. i wish that i could do more for him, I feel so hopeless and frustrated. Can anybody help us Please. Thanks Kori and Shelly

26. suep
    suep December 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm | | Reply

i had lymes on my back also. your picture looks just like the one that was taken of me. from wisconsin