1. Bob S
    Bob S August 26, 2009 at 6:52 am | | Reply

At what age is adult considered adult? I was 23 but can also go back to my college days a few years earlier and see that high blood sugars could have played a part in my inconsistancies as a runner. I guess we’ll never know….

2. Kathy
    Kathy August 26, 2009 at 7:36 am | | Reply

A lot of us PWDs who got type 1 as children remember having serious viral illnesses/stomach bugs in the years & months leading up to diagnosis. I recall having the mother of all flus when I was in 4th grade (to the point where people gasped when they saw how pale & thin I was!), which may have set the meter running for my own diagnosis 3 years later.

I would love to know “why”, but I would also love it if someone could finally figure out how to stop it and step on D’s neck until it’s cold & dead ;-)

3. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange August 26, 2009 at 8:18 am | | Reply

I was dx’d in 1970 and remember hearing about virus and illness being the trigger for T1. Personally I had scarlet fever about a few mos before that

4. Traci
    Traci August 26, 2009 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

Great article and information! My husband was 4 when he was diagnosed and he also had an infection a short time before having symptoms of diabetes. A lot of people with T1 mention that, but frustrating that there is no conclusive, solid evidence letting us know how T1′s become diabetic.

5. Twitter Trackbacks for » Wayback Wednesday: Type 1 Diabetes - A Viral Thing? - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog [diabetesmine.com] on Topsy.com

[...] link is being shared on Twitter right now. @diabetesmine, an influential author, said [Blog] Wayback [...]

6. Type 1 Diabetes
    Type 1 Diabetes August 27, 2009 at 6:43 am | | Reply

You are correct, the disease may develop from an autoimmune disorder.

When the immune systems starts to function abnormally, due to a viral infection, it sees some of it’s own tissues as foreign. The cells that are targeted are the islet cells of the pancreas. Islet cells produce insulin and when destroyed they are no longer able to perform their necessary function of regulating sugar levels within the body.

I thought the additional information might be helpful.

-Mary

7. Edwin
    Edwin August 31, 2009 at 3:36 am | | Reply

It has a strong genetic component. Its caused when the cells in the pancreas stop producing enough insulin for our body to function properly.

8. Andrea
    Andrea September 4, 2009 at 11:08 am | | Reply

What the doctors thought was Type 1 that started in my 40′s turned out to be diabetes caused by a pheochromocytoma (an adrenal tumor). After surgery it’s gone, 100% cured. I had been so willing to accept that I had Type 1 because I had another autoimmune thing going on (thyroid). Go figure!