1. Twitted by DiabetesMine
    Twitted by DiabetesMine August 3, 2009 at 6:14 am |

[...] This post was Twitted by DiabetesMine [...]

2. » The Search for Noninvasive Glucose Technology That Works: Where … « Gadget Exposure

[...] See original here:  » The Search for Noninvasive Glucose Technology That Works: Where … [...]

3. Elizabeth Joy
    Elizabeth Joy August 3, 2009 at 10:22 am | | Reply

Thanks for the post! This is interesting, but in my opinion I think the future should be more directed to CGMS technology. Most diabetics don’t mind testing blood–It hardly hurts, and it’s quick and easy and reasonably accurate. Why switch to a less accurate method when blood testing is tried and true? (This reminds me of the fiasco around inhaled insulin.) I think most of us are more concerned with detecting highs and lows when we’re not testing (the middle of the night, for example), when we couldn’t rely on most of the noninvasive methods.

The Glucowatch sounded really promising a few years back, both noninvasive and continuous, and if something like that which actually worked could be developed, I’m sure it would find buyers. But until then, I’m not sure (again, just IMO) that it’s worth the time and money being invested. Thanks again for the post.

4. Joann
    Joann August 4, 2009 at 4:18 am | | Reply

Good post!!
    Healthcare providers agree that the ability to monitor glucose levels in a painless and consistent way has the potential to improve the quality of life for millions of diabetes patients.

5. Kimberly
    Kimberly August 5, 2009 at 11:23 am | | Reply

After calling the ADA and a few companies they recommended, I came across this article and, although I don’t like learning there are no non-invasive glucose monitoring devices on the market, it saved me further research time nonetheless. I was told I have Type II Diabetes the day this article was posted and my doctor wants me to check my glucose levels twice a day for now. I am also one of approximately 10 percent of the population who suffers from needle phobia. I’d be in a better position if I had someone around to prick my finger for me, but unfortunately I live alone and am just going to have to get tough and pray I don’t pass out! Wish me luck.

6. Sanjeev Bhadresa
    Sanjeev Bhadresa August 7, 2009 at 5:59 pm | | Reply

I guess that an added complication is that the “non-invasive” method of determining glucose levels needs to correlate well with actual glucose concentration in the blood.

My understanding is that the Glucowatch only gave trend information, and couldn’t be relied on for accurate glucose levels.

7. Symposier
    Symposier September 12, 2009 at 1:36 pm | | Reply

A very interesting article. At the beginning of my diabetes treatment I really disliked testing my glucose levels, but after a while using a lancet is not as harmful it really makes a very small cut. Obviously I would be interested in a non invasive method, hope soon it will be developed. For Physicians interested in Diabetes, Symposier Site offers a variety of videos and information, visit it.

8. LoneStarNot
    LoneStarNot February 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

Are there devices that can be implanted, for direct contact with blood, then queried wirelessly?

9. Tony Obregon
    Tony Obregon March 30, 2010 at 6:25 pm | | Reply

I never really thought about the challenges associated with the accurate measurement of glucose. This post really opened up my eyes to the number of individuals that have tried to develop noninvasive glucose methods. I really admire them and John Smith for their research thus far. Personally, I don’t mind lancets but the thought of having a new way to get sugar level readings is really appealing.

10. boddhi
    boddhi August 22, 2010 at 7:54 pm | | Reply

Truth behind Oculir – Hope for diabetics
    Check this news release! “US Patent Office ruled Oculir patent invalid”. I always thought this was a promising technology. The reason behind shut down is because their patent was based on someone else’s patents, a doctor form Yale.

11. M Calnan
    M Calnan August 26, 2010 at 9:00 am | | Reply

There is a company in Pennsylvania called Lightouch….I hear they are very close to getting a non-invasive BGM. I believe it utilized similar technology to a pulse ox meter

12. Ron Sargent
    Ron Sargent October 19, 2011 at 10:43 am | | Reply

There is a nonevasive device struggling to get recognized and to market for the last 5 years at least It is from a Canadian Co called Biosign Technologies.The device measures blood pressure in the normal arm cuff way and also detects many other things Glucose being the goal. Best part of it is also that all info derived from this BP test can be digitilized and send anywhere in the world for monitering .

13. recipe
    recipe September 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm | | Reply

I do not understand the purpose of this article, if you can explain it in language that is easy to understand? putra