1. Jim D
    Jim D August 31, 2009 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Sorry…I’m still waiting for the insulin suppository…..

2. Kathy
    Kathy August 31, 2009 at 7:53 am | | Reply

Ugh. I can see needles and the fear factor being a big deal for some (especially type 2s), but to me needles are the least of my worries….

3. bill
    bill August 31, 2009 at 8:29 am | | Reply

Bein’ picky — “peaked my curiosity” probably should have been “piqued my curiosity”.

I know, I need a life!

4. Anne
    Anne August 31, 2009 at 8:36 am | | Reply

It sounds like a patch could be really helpful for type 2 and maybe a substitute for basal injections in type 1. But it certainly wouldn’t replace a pump or injections for meals/corrections.

And I’d much rather discreetly punch in a few numbers on my pump than sit in a restaurant with a nasal inhaler device. We don’t spend all our time in the privacy of our homes.

5. MarkMansheim
    MarkMansheim August 31, 2009 at 10:11 am | | Reply

RE: nasal insulin, what happens if it’s allergy season and you sneeze your insulin away? Just sayin’… “Oh great! There goes my bolus.” **sigh**

6. k2
    k2 August 31, 2009 at 10:30 am | | Reply

Like Ann- I think I’ll stick with my pump- I’m having a tough enough time w choosing a new pump, let alone adding INsulin Gel and or an Insulin Inhaler to my mix. BUT options are good and others might really appreciate it.
    But can they get the dosing right?? Also, what about dead spots on the skin? If they no longer absorb with the pump, will dead spots be able to absorb the gel??
    Kelly K

7. Casabby
    Casabby August 31, 2009 at 10:34 am | | Reply

To Mark–As I suffer in Minnesota with one of the worst ragweed pollen seasons in recent years, I chuckled at your image of sneezing out my bolus. Thanks for the laugh.

8. Aine Maire
    Aine Maire August 31, 2009 at 10:49 am | | Reply

I think the insulin nasal sprays have advanced further than you think but as I understand it, there is the worry about the effect on the lungs.

The best thing for Type 1s would be if the medical research people could resolve the underline autoimmune response and if you google Dr Denise Faustman at Harvard University, you may find her work lifts your mood. She is at the end of phase 1 human clinical trials to cure type 1, using BCG. Having read up anything I could on her work, I think she is amazing and am hopeful that as she goes on through the trials, the results will continue to be positive. This lady is on a mission and I’m so glad that she has chosen her mission to be improving the lot of people with type 1 diabetes.

9. Kristin
    Kristin August 31, 2009 at 11:58 am | | Reply

Why does Mr. Diabetes Autralia guy reference insulin being injected into the bloodstream????????

I used to work for a couple of companies that make diabetes devices. I always used to tell them “It’s not the PAIN factor; it’s the pain-in-the-*ss factor!” I think it is all the non-diabetic marketers IMAGINING that non-invasive is what diabetics most want. If they really paid atention to their market research, I hazard to say that is is reduced vigilence with more predictable results….

Am I wrong?

10. Karen
    Karen August 31, 2009 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

How about a spray, like perfume, that you just walk through the mist and get your bolus that way???? I mean, what will “they” think of next?? lol…

11. Edwin
    Edwin September 4, 2009 at 12:44 am | | Reply

I think the spare diabetes sufferers daily injections to lower blood sugar levels, it comes as drug makers around the world step up clinical trials on insulin delivery treatments using nasal and oral sprays with a 50% increase in the global number of diabetics.

12. Alan Gallimore
    Alan Gallimore April 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm | | Reply

From the outset I have to declare an interest as a stockholder in the company mentioned above (www.Phosphagenics.com). They have just recently announced a collaboration with Novartis to develop insulin patches for the treatment of companion animals. This research is now well advanced and so I would ask that you don’t dismiss the possibility of transdermal delivery of insulin for humans in the not too distant future.

13. Jason
    Jason April 8, 2010 at 12:31 am | | Reply

Phosphagenics are preparing for the insulin patch trials. They have recently announced a world first getting Oxycodone(painkiller) through the skin via a patch with better effectiveness and longer lasting and more even delivery.

Have also announced a Novartis deal for animal insulin development unspecified if to be spray, gel, patch or oral.

14. Daniella
    Daniella March 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm | | Reply

I would love to see an updated article on this topic. Are we there yet???