1. Doug
    Doug August 10, 2009 at 7:47 am | | Reply

Francine
    Sounds like an exciting job, in an exciting time
    How long do you think it will take the FDA to approve the closed loop system once its available elsewhere ? Since FDA hasnt approved “Low Glucose Suspend” in US but its available elsewhere makes me wonder how long it will take to get approval for riskier automated changes like increasing basal.
    Wont we need significantly more reliable more accurate sensors before these next steps will be possible ?
    Finally Francine I hope that you can have an impact on what are in my opinion questionable sales tactics that Medtronic Pump sales people have used for years. Strong arming vulnerable recently diagnosed patients or their parents is inappropriate in my opinion, and the company that owns the majority of the market share shouldnt have to result to those tactics.
    Thanks
    Doug

2. Cara
    Cara August 10, 2009 at 8:17 am | | Reply

The technology that exsists is so much better than when I was diagnosed in 1985. I am looking forward to the day there is a closed loop system.

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 10, 2009 at 8:31 am | | Reply

While I’m looking forward to a viable closed loop system, I’ll reserve judgment until I see the usability and user experience of the thing.

For example it will require at least two implants: an insulin cannula; and a sensor. It may also need a glucagon cannula for dealing with lows.

If it’s to work well we’ll need to be able to get the data off the device easily. So please consider open data standards and easy access to whatever downloaded data there is.

4. Kathy
    Kathy August 10, 2009 at 11:02 am | | Reply

Thanks for your piece, Doctor. While the Medtronic approach is all well and good, it’s not a “cure”, just a better mousetrap. Sure, it’s a slicker, more accurate and more advanced mousetrap than the urine test kit I remember when I was a kid, but there will be no cure unless type 1 diabetes can be stopped, reversed and/or prevented.

5. Ellen
    Ellen August 10, 2009 at 11:40 am | | Reply

Thank you for all you have done and continue to do for families with children with diabetes. I hope you will exert influence on the industry to be sure that when people purchase the life sustaining technology you refer to above, you also make sure Medtronic provides each patient with a backup system so they do not have to revert to relying on injection therapy and fingerstick blood glucose monitoring as they will no longer have the skills to do so effectively, even for the supposed 24 hours that’s promised for replacement of a problem system. Years ago Disetronic always provided a backup pump so no patient of theirs ever had to be without a pump once the patient started on CSII. That was an important consideration for our family when we opted for our son’s first pump.

6. brandscaping
    brandscaping August 10, 2009 at 4:55 pm | | Reply

I found this blog that mentions how we can use outdated technology to help raise funds for Canadian Diabetes research

good luck and great work – it’s amazing how far we’ve already come in the learning to mitigate diabetes. the future will hold the cure!

7. Chan
    Chan August 12, 2009 at 3:16 am | | Reply

Its biggest maker of heart-rhythm devices, won $57 million in a patent-infringement trial against AGA Medical over medical devices that treat holes caused by congenital heart defects.

8. Acai Berries
    Acai Berries August 14, 2009 at 8:49 am | | Reply

9. rae
    rae August 21, 2009 at 12:35 pm | | Reply

Hello Francine;

Congratulations on your new job! I hear there is a mint to be made within the Biomedical Engineering industy

Concerns:
    1) the suggestion, by a physician, situated in an industry leading company, of your proportion, that a medical device can be considered a “cure” almost caused me a vitreous hemmorhage. The cure will be when Diabetes is stopped because a way has been found to restore the pancreas back to it’s former state of functioning in current Diabetics and preventing the disease in future Diabetics – in other words, the cure will be when Diabetes is extinct
    2) how many separate prescriptions will a Diabetic need to order to maintin this so called “cure”?
    3) Cost: for the device itself, supplies
    4) What if the device suddenly fails three months before the warranty is up? Will I have to get the Head Pharmacist and my Nurse Clinician to contact Medtronic on my behalf because the customer service rep told me me my warranty is up? How does being stipped my right to have my pump, by a customer service rep (who is not a physician, nurse or PA) empower me to manage my Diabetes? I don’t stop having Diabetes because the my pump is broken and a customer service rep deems my warranty up.

Suggestions
    1) Lower commission rates of pharmeceutical reps and executives and pass some savings onto Diabetics – our disease funds your lives while we live with this disease every day, until we die. Our bodies pay and so do our pocketbooks
    2) Make pumps and supplies available to ALL Diabetics who need them, not just those able to afford them. If pumping insulin is the best ,then lets make this the protocol for all Diabetics, not just some. Blood Glucose Monitors were expensive when first introduced – now they’re free, this is the type of real innovation Medtronic should be looking towards in their insulin pumping endeavors – how can you reach all the Diabetics.l

Thanks
    Rae

10. Stuart
    Stuart September 2, 2009 at 10:15 am | | Reply

I agree with Bernard’s post with respect to Open Data Standards. Making the data available to users and professionals will speed innovations in monitoring and control.

11. diabetes management
    diabetes management September 15, 2009 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

Technology has come along way but as with most there is always the underlying commercialization from drug companies who have no motivation to create a cure as it is always said it is more lucrative to treat the symptoms than it is to cure the disease.

12. thomas hatley
    thomas hatley September 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm | | Reply

My son has diabetes and i thank you for all the hard work you have done. It is a terrible disease and needs to be eradicated.

13. Build a Cross Cultural Relationship with Satellite Internet | The … « trtdese

[...] sarah jessica parker kreayshawn erik bedard ing direct nostradamus melaleuca Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]