1. George Bridgeman
    George Bridgeman August 11, 2009 at 6:47 am | | Reply

I used one of these when I went to Cape Town:

They’re really easy to set up and last for quite a while. I’m sure a few hours, even in those temperatures, wouldn’t be a problem.

Not sure if they’re available outside the UK, though. You’ll probably be able to find them on eBay or get them imported if needs must.

George.

2. Bob S
    Bob S August 11, 2009 at 7:11 am | | Reply

+1 on Frio. They work very well in heat. Just leave them exposed to air like on a mesh pocket on the outside of your backpack. Different sizes for vials, pens, pumps, etc.

3. terry
    terry August 11, 2009 at 7:39 am | | Reply

thanks George & Bob . Just ordered them for my son with T1.
    -terry

4. Sarah Jane
    Sarah Jane August 11, 2009 at 7:46 am | | Reply

Special insulin cooling devices? I guess as a women I carry a large purse which a small lunchbox can fit…with some ice packs in it. Keeps it cool all day, even in Missouri, which often experiences Alabama-like heat (and keeps my monitor handy when, as a Park Ranger intern at a National Park, I have to give a 3/4 mile, hour long tour in 100 degree weather). But I suppose men don’t enjoy carrying purses or lunch boxes.

5. jason preu
    jason preu August 11, 2009 at 8:05 am | | Reply

frio all the way. had mine for years and it helps keep my items cool in the kansas city heat and humidity.

6. Bennet
    Bennet August 11, 2009 at 8:11 am | | Reply

Score one more Frio fan boy here.

7. scully
    scully August 11, 2009 at 8:45 am | | Reply

What about if you wear a pump!?

8. Mandy
    Mandy August 11, 2009 at 8:32 pm | | Reply

LOVE to see another PWD in hot & humid Birmingham!
    I always head to the Greenway to run. It’s still hot, but all the trees help to shade the path (and the Fire station is near by)! I also usually unplug from my pump, so I don’t fry the insulin. I typically need less in the heat anyway.

9. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 12, 2009 at 4:21 am | | Reply

What about a continuous glucose monitor? I can’t imagine the heat would make a difference to the receiver, has anyone seen problems with the system on super hot days?

10. Laura
    Laura August 12, 2009 at 10:45 am | | Reply

I was just going to suggest looking into a couple Frio packs…but I see a number of people have already beaten me to the punch! Frio has served me well on hot days and on camping trips. The packs are especially nice because they’ll work even if you only have room temperature water to soak themRi.

Happy golfing!

~Laura

11. Tess
    Tess August 14, 2009 at 9:07 am | | Reply

There is nothing like a Frio to keep insulin, meters/strips, snacks and even lipstick cool! There is a Frio to keep an insulin pump cool as well and you can wear it on your belt.
    I carry my Frio along with meter and snacks (& lipstick) in a mesh bag with a pull string and slide lock. This can be tied to a golf bag, laptop bag, backpack, slingpack, etc. – to keep it on the outside of these bags.
    This is important because air has to dry the water that is being held in the Frio crystals to create cooling.
    mesh bag: http://www.CollinsCottage.com

12. Tess
    Tess August 14, 2009 at 9:08 am | | Reply

Frio information:

13. claire
    claire August 17, 2009 at 12:04 pm | | Reply

I’m going to assume you carry food and drinks and snacks with you (if not, why not?) I find carrying a lunchbox/cooler works better for me than the fancy diabetic gear. It’s a soft, padded, lunchbox sized thing with a strap. You can stick blue ice packs in there and then fit in a couple of sandwiches, an apple, a water bottle or soda … and your insulin and meter. The food insulates the insulin from the ice pack. It’s a good strategy because it’s everything you need in one spot — not just the diabetes supplies, but also the food and drink you’ll need to keep your BG up. It encourages you to bring the whole shebang.