1. Bud Monroe
    Bud Monroe July 1, 2009 at 9:15 am | | Reply

Hi,

Nice blog! Just curious, when you bake w/ your favorite gluten free products, do you ever use artificial sweeteners that are okay for diabetics to use?

I read an article on a site, ConditionNutrition, that says Splenda is safe to use for diabetics because it helps maintain safe blood sugar levels.

2. Vanessa
    Vanessa July 1, 2009 at 1:13 pm | | Reply

Glad to see this article. When my son was diagnosed with Type 1 at 2 years old, he was also diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis one month later. I was so upset, feeling like how can one little child get socked with two chronic (no cure) illnesses. I’d heard about this “cluster” of auto immune diseases, but it is interesting to find out about others who also get hit with this. Thanks for the article.

3. Nick
    Nick July 1, 2009 at 5:19 pm | | Reply

I actually am surprised that you don’t talk about your gluten issues as much as you do. I am also a Type 1 with celiac or gluten intolerance or whatever they decide to call it and I have a tougher time dealing with my celiac. With the diabetes, I am happy that there is at least some sort of new technology and medicine coming out each year. With celiac, they just say, don’t eat wheat and that is easier said than done. EVERYTHING has wheat in it. Sometimes I think they put wheat in things just so I won’t be able to eat it.

4. LindaB
    LindaB July 1, 2009 at 7:21 pm | | Reply

No celiac here. Thank God,but, the complications and other little gifts have been coming every year for the last 10-12 yrs or so. From the things I have learned about celiac and the food limitations, I’ll keep my neuropathy, Thank You!!! Good Luck to all who are dealing with this pain in the ass!!

5. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 1, 2009 at 9:38 pm | | Reply

Hey Amy! I was just thrilled to see that you are sharing some of your early stuff with us (it’s fantastic, as usual!). It IS crazy how the more things change the more they stay the same!

6. Yasmine
    Yasmine July 4, 2009 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

My husband’s a Type 1 diabetic. I have pre-diabetes, I’m gluten intolerant, have a dairy allergy, and other food intolerances that are pretty bad. Finding low carb snacks that don’t have artificial sweeteners in them (which we won’t eat except for stevia) that don’t have dairy or wheat’s a total headache. Do you have any suggestions on this? I tend to swing–go off my allergy diet in search of low carb alternatives, then swing back to the allergy diet and end up eating too many carbs–I can’t seem to find a happy median here. And I need to. *shakes head* It’s sure a pain in the neck. And I didn’t realize you were gluten intolerant for a bit–just happened to glance back at this post. :)

7. June S.
    June S. July 5, 2009 at 6:16 pm | | Reply

Well, I guess I should feel lucky … I do have one other autoimmune illness, a skin disorder called scleraderma. It is LOCALIZED, rather than systemic, scleraderma, but it has messed up some parts of skin on my back which would otherwise have been very good places to infuse insulin with my pump!

8. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston July 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm | | Reply

Count me in with T1, thyroiditis (autoimmune or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis), and non-celiac gluten sensitivity (meaning: I have anti-gluten antibodies but no symptoms… er, at least, not yet). That’s 3 autoimmune syndromes, but the last two only cropped up in the last few years or so.

Anybody else have non-celiac gluten sensitivity? Doc went looking for it when we discovered I had low iron, and nothing could account for it. There was suspicion that I might be having mineral absorption issues associated with celiac. I tried the gluten-free lifestyle and it was HARD! (You have my sympathy, Amy & others!) But today I don’t restrict my wheat or gluten intake at all. Since I’m asymptomatic, and went through the trouble of having a stomach biopsy which was completely normal, I just said Feh to that.

9. sinema izle
    sinema izle July 7, 2009 at 6:27 am | | Reply

The younger brother of my uncle in our family that has a similar disease in extremely obese and overweight have been caught at an early age to diabetes. they feel sorry for his god works.

10. misskity3
    misskity3 July 7, 2009 at 1:38 pm | | Reply

thank u for the flashback. i too have a thyroid condition 1st then diabetes- type 1. i was feeling like afreak because no on on the sites i visit talk about autoimmune diseases running in pairs.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS/BLOGS!!!!

11. Kate
    Kate July 7, 2009 at 2:26 pm | | Reply

I would love to hear more about your ways of coping with a gluten-free diet! I have had T1 DM for 15+ years, and I was diagnosed with celiac a few weeks ago. I am totally overwhelmed by the dietary restrictions on top of all of my usual (and stressful) diabetes stuff! I think I will be ok when I eat at home during the summer, but it’s going to be really difficult when I go back to college in the fall!

12. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston July 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm | | Reply

Kate, if you go to college in an urban center, you may be familiar with Whole Foods. One thing they now do is post little blue & white index cards under foods that are gluten free for “special diets.” I found that helps. In addition, they now have a whole section of cookies, etc. called Gluten-free. there are also many good cookbooks. Good luck!

13. teknoloji haberleri