1. CALpumper
    CALpumper July 13, 2009 at 7:00 am | | Reply

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Great insight into a possible future of well thought out research.

2. kdroberts
    kdroberts July 13, 2009 at 8:29 am | | Reply

Awesome, some major, up to date things I can use when I tell people that some type 2 cases may be an immune system problem! I read an article about the innate immune system and type 2 a year or so ago and kind of latched onto it because it seemed to make a lot of sence. Unfortunately all the info available that I could get to was several years old. Good that it didn’t fall by the wayside and they are still going down this route. Hopefully it will help in the understanding of all forms of diabetes within the medical community and also the face of type 2 to the general public.

3. Don
    Don July 13, 2009 at 11:25 am | | Reply

This is why eating healthy foods helps T2 so much because the right foods have anti-inflammatory properties-

4. Lauren K
    Lauren K July 13, 2009 at 2:27 pm | | Reply

As I understand it, the auto-antibodies in type 1 are very specific. There is not generalized inflammation and immune activation beyond the initial destruction of the beta cells, although as we know high blood sugars can create a state that induces damage to the endothelium. But that is a sequela of the disease, not the cause of it.

From what I understand, the inflammation that we’re talking about in type 2 is of a qualitatively different nature than the auto-antibodies that cause type 1 in the first place.

5. Melitta
    Melitta July 13, 2009 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

Amy: There are not many many people who are not overweight who develop Type 2 diabetes. Antibody testing of the 20% of people diagnosed with Type 2 who are not overweight indicates that more than half of those people have been misdiagnosed and actually have slow onset Type 1 diabetes (LADA) based on the presence of antibodies indicative of Type 1. So actually very few people who have true Type 2 diabetes are not overweight or obese. As you know, people with adult onset Type 1 diabetes are routinely misdiagnosed as having Type 2, strictly based on age not etiology.

6. Lauren K
    Lauren K July 14, 2009 at 4:01 pm | | Reply

Generalized inflammatory processes are not “auto-immunity.” Only Type 1 involves auto-immunity. It is classified as a type 4 hypersensitivity reaction.

Type 2 does not involve an auto-immune process. Inflammation is the immune system over-reacting to cell damage. Auto-immunity means the immune system reaction is triggered by an protein that should be recognized as “self,” but is mistakenly identified as “foreign.”

Inflammation does not equal auto-immunity, according to everything I’ve been taught. The two should not be confused.

7. Joan Kline
    Joan Kline July 14, 2009 at 8:31 pm | | Reply

please help the diabetic with their various needs and supplies. we are a growing number of people and need to have some help out here. Many are doing without the proper medical care and supplies due to lack of finances and lack of knowledge.

Joan KLine

8. Wellescent Health Blog
    Wellescent Health Blog July 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm | | Reply

This is an interesting finding and correlates well with other findings linking poor dental hygiene and the inflammation of gingivitis with higher rates of diabetes.

9. jordan shoes
    jordan shoes October 13, 2009 at 1:26 am | | Reply

10. susan
    susan October 21, 2009 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

I have diabetes, but I know plenty of people a lot fatter than me who don’t, because it does NOT run in their family, I am a FIRM believer in GENETICS, and you are more likely to get ANYTHING, from cancer to obesity if it is in you family. You could not argue that fact with me, sorry

I eat healthier than the majority of america and excercise, because of the diabetes, but no one is going to tell me I got diabetes because I am a fat lazy slob ( I have also lost about 70 lbs as well)

11. Joyce
    Joyce January 14, 2010 at 8:12 am | | Reply

I have type 2 diabetes. This may explain when I am on prednisone for my asthma, my blood sugar is near optimum (90 -130) on the last couple days of the treatment when I am on the lowest doses, but when I finish the prednisone, I am back to 150-180. My diet hasn’t changed, my activity level hasn’t changed (if anything I am more active since my asthma is under control again), the prednisone is usually the only factor.