1. Kathy
    Kathy July 9, 2009 at 7:45 am | | Reply

Amy, can you tell us why this design didn’t win? After viewing this and the winning entry I cannot see why the Remora (LOVE that name!) didn’t have an edge over the LifeCase. This seems far more do-able and something more adapatable to those of us who don’t use pumps. I can also see the potential for modifications, i.e. a texting capability that could send via wireless in place of emergency 911 calls, in case the user has an iTouch and not an iPhone. The designer being a PWD is also a major ‘plus’ for me.

2. Sara my
    Sara my July 9, 2009 at 9:17 am | | Reply

Brilliant – design, designer and idea! I want one and hope to see something like this soon. I’m so glad there are so many clever people out there. This application makes much logical sense.

3. Bob
    Bob July 9, 2009 at 9:51 am | | Reply

I love the design of the the sensor / transmitter. I am though, as with many of the designs, not entirely convinced that any application associated with any smart phone manufacturer will be feasible. By the time they submit to the FDA, the smart phone will no longer exist. I think that a change to the approval process is what will really be needed for these great designs to be available to all people with diabetes.

4. Todd
    Todd July 9, 2009 at 11:12 am | | Reply

Great concept, but it’s rare to have a cell signal in a subway station, so the automatic call at the end of the worst-case-scenario probably wouldn’t work.

5. Don
    Don July 9, 2009 at 11:25 am | | Reply

Beautiful concept. Create this software application in different formats to work with Apple and Google phones regardless of how often the phones are updated. You buy the self-contained, downloadable app and can install it on whatever phone you currently use. The software engineer gets a royalty and so does the CGM manufacturer.

6. John
    John July 9, 2009 at 11:55 am | | Reply

A related technology has been out there, but is no longer available.

Six years ago, I made use of the Handspring Visor, a PDA that allowed modules to be plugged in. I had a Therasense Tracker module which I plugged into the PDA for glucose readings, and then I had a separate module that turned the PDA into a cell phone. It was quite convenient, actually–and in essence allowed one device to be used as a PDA, a cell phone, and a glucose monitor.

The one issue that I see with current technology is the accuracy of the CGM–it is a trending device, and still requires a glucose monitor. The iPhone (unlike the Handspring) does not allow for the incorporation of a monitor.

On the other hand, it would be intriguing to see this idea developed, so that the iPhone becomes the controller of the OmniPod (or equivalent) and the CGMS.

7. mcityrk
    mcityrk July 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm | | Reply

John-

You hit it right on the head. Super idea but ahead of it’s time as insufficient accuracy of device would result in so many false-positive calls for assistance that the device would be recalled inside of a month!!

8. xim1970
    xim1970 July 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm | | Reply

Love this idea! If anything would make me switch to a pump and iPhone, this would be it!

9. lauren H
    lauren H July 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm | | Reply

I am quitting this website and taking my D $$ with me. Amy routinely deletes my posts.

10. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston July 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm | | Reply

Go Troy Kyle – nice work & great innovations. You do Boston proud! :)

11. pking
    pking July 9, 2009 at 11:58 pm | | Reply

The shape / flexibility of the sensor cover in this design is quite nice. It’d be great to have something like that for infusion sets, too, since I’ve find that they can also snag once in a while on clothes or seatbelts. I think a cover like this could probably be reused, just slipped over the sensor / infusion set each time its replaced.

The software is really too light on details to be interesting. There are quite a few apps already that display graphs, and all of the CGM units have graphs. It would be nice, yes, but I don’t think it’s particularly innovative. Sending glucose readings and alerts via text isn’t new, either. Putting it together with a CGM would be nice, but it’s also rather obvious given that all of the component parts already exist.

I do think this idea is probably closer to reality than the winning idea (which would require much more integration work). I think one of Amy’s rules was that the idea should be able to make an impact on our lives in the very near future, so perhaps this factor should have been weighed more consistently.

12. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie July 10, 2009 at 5:55 am | | Reply

FWIW,

There are a number of subway systems that have cell service.

13. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston July 10, 2009 at 4:54 pm | | Reply

…and don’t forget that Amy assembled a panel of highly qualified professionals & D advocates to select the winner/s.

14. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 11, 2009 at 11:59 am | | Reply

This is a fantastic idea. I love it!

15. New Non-Invasive Continuous Glucose Monitor Will Talk to Your SmartPhone : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] alarms and you don’t respond. Sounds like something you might have heard about in our annual DiabetesMine Design Contest, isn’t it? Well, guess again! It’s a product actually under production by the folks at [...]