1. John
    John July 7, 2009 at 6:41 am | | Reply

Good points . . .

I have been a Type 1 since 1959, and am currently a professor. Because of my diabetes, I tend to pay more attention to my students and any medical issues that they have. I have had a student, a type 1, who lost consciousness in my class (his blood glucose registered as a 45 when the paramedics got there). If he had not shared the fact that he had diabetes, I would have assumed his unconsciousness was due to alcohol, or other substances, or even that he had just fallen asleep from fatigue. (The paramedics administered glucagon, and he walked out of the classroom within 10 minutes.)

2. Twitted by diabetesblogs
    Twitted by diabetesblogs July 7, 2009 at 7:09 am |

[...] This post was Twitted by diabetesblogs [...]

3. tmana
    tmana July 7, 2009 at 7:37 am | | Reply

Some schools have a medical department (infirmary, walk-in, etc.) with a variety of health professionals available. If you live on campus, this department will generally be the liaison between you and any outside medical services (particularly emergency services). Make sure you have copies of your medical information on file with this department. Depending on your school, you may also want to see if the Campus Police — who may also be the usual First Responders — are able to handle blood glucose checks, glucagon, etc. (Again, you may want to file information with this department.)

4. On Your Own Now (a guest blog at DiabetesMine.com) « Lemonade Life

[...] here, I’d like to direct your attention to Amy’s blog DiabetesMine.com. I’m a guest blogger there today, where I discuss a few things I learned when I moved away to college (and subsequently to the East [...]

5. mark
    mark July 7, 2009 at 8:09 am | | Reply

you blog information really helpful!

6. susan f.
    susan f. July 7, 2009 at 9:20 am | | Reply

I think one of the most important topics to discuss with teenagers heading off to college is how to handle alcohol. For example, do most teens know that drinking a lot of alcohol can cause a low hours later (usually middle of the night)?

Drinking is a ‘taboo’ subject when kids are underage. However, I think it is vital that young diabetics are educated about how to handle alcohol, because many of them WILL drink.

I tested hourly when I was out partying – and I partied hard. Different beers affected my blood sugar differently, and it was vital to figure that out early on. After a night of drinking, I usually ran a temp basal as low as 50% and would wake up ‘perfect’. I had a few horrible middle of the night lows before I figured that out. Would have been nice to have a diabetic drinking buddy to teach me!

7. Lauren K
    Lauren K July 7, 2009 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

Wow. I’m a medical student and I am a strong believer in taking care of myself without anyone’s help. I would not dream of telling my professors. I openly check my glucose on campus and during lectures, I am not going to hide anything that’s necessary for me to do. But I do not go to them and disclose my condition. That’s a good way to be seen as an irresponsible student and a whiner. Just plan ahead. During exams I keep two juice boxes and glucose tablets with me and do a fingerstick right beforehand.

And “stay in touch with parents about diabetes” — that is a big assumption. Many diabetics do not have loving and supportive and knowledgeable families. My parents, both intelligent and educated people, have NO CLUE about type 1 diabetes. They think it’s type 2 and I just eat too much bread. They think low blood sugars are convenient excuses to get out of activities. A lot of us don’t have families who know or care about this disease. And that’s better in the long run, because it’s MY problem, not anyone else’s.

8. Shamae
    Shamae July 7, 2009 at 7:37 pm | | Reply

Well I know my Type 1 daughter is only 5 and we are years away from dealing with this–although everyone says it comes quicker than we realize–I am scared to death to send her away. I assume as she grows and becomes more responsible and knows how to manage diabetes herself, I might be more comfortable but where it stands, this thought could bring me to tears! Thanks for sharing a positive experience to help remind us paranoid mothers that our children will thrive even if they aren’t under our roof!

9. Jesmi
    Jesmi July 9, 2009 at 4:13 am | | Reply

Great tips!!
    Thanks for sharing it.

10. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 11, 2009 at 11:54 am | | Reply

Great guest post! Thanks Allison & Amy!

11. Tara
    Tara July 12, 2009 at 4:32 pm | | Reply

I have juvenile diabetes and I am almost 30 years old. I still live with my mother. However, I have been fighting with my mother alot because I would like to marry and have a family with my fiance and not move out till I marry. My mother on the other hand, does not want me to get marry because she is afraid that I will become pregnant and die giving birth. Getting pregnant and having babies is something I really want. Anyhow, my mother instead wants me to move out of her house and learn to live alone. I am scared to live alone because I am afraid I could have blood sugar problems and die. There would be no one there to help me. She gave me to the end of the summer to find a place and move out. She also told me that if I ever got married, she would disown or disinherit me. If I want to be in her family, I have to live alone and stay single, be on birth control, and have a career. Any advice on what to do? I do love my mom but she is being to hard on me and I feel she is punishing me for having diabetes.

12. American Medical ID » Blog Archive » College Bound with Diabetes

[...] For more great tips and an inside look at one college graduates recommendations and experience, read blogger and advocate Allison Blass’ post http://www.diabetesmine.com/2009/07/on-your-own-now-off-to-college-with-the-big-d.html. [...]

13. Blake
    Blake July 22, 2009 at 11:44 am | | Reply

My best friend Alex was recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes and being only a junior in college he has seen his fair share of struggles. One of the biggest issues he has had to deal with is keeping his energy up. As most of you know the college lifestyle is draining both physically and mentally, what with classes, studying and socializing. So in order to keep up he searched for an alternative to sugary energy drinks and found this energy supplement called Eboost. Its sugar free and feel it could benefit a lot of others who have dealt with similar problems. Heres there website hope it helps. http://www.eboost.com