1. Sara My
    Sara My July 2, 2009 at 9:18 am | | Reply

I read Kessler’s book last week and found it very interesting, but I still could enjoy a piece of carrot cake right now- thanks for the picture putting it into my brain! I am just grateful that I can take a hit of insulin when I simply can’t resist my vices. I know that sticking to whole foods becomes habitual and feels better mentally and physically. But still, the lure of the sugar, salt and fat trifecta is strongly, surprisingly, quickly addictive even if it sadly provides only a short lived temporary happiness. Staying away from that food makes staying away from it easier. Just like any other addictive substance. grrrrrrrrr……

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 2, 2009 at 9:31 am | | Reply

Food is, I think, the core source of many of my diabetes related struggles. It sounds like there is some interesting research happening around why it is so powerful. Very interesting!

3. riva
    riva July 2, 2009 at 12:10 pm | | Reply

Just looking at the photo of the chocolate chip cookie you posted, Amy, got my sweet craving going, so it’s not just smell me thinks. As far as willpower to resist “bad” foods, I think there’s more motivation and stick-to-it-ivness by holding a vision of what we do desire, ie to be trim, healthy and fit rather than fight the craving.

4. Michelle
    Michelle July 2, 2009 at 1:37 pm | | Reply

Amen to all that’s been written. Having a career of cake decorating isn’t always very helpful for my diabetes, but sometimes being around it all of the time helps the desire to eat it go down. I loved your post!

5. Remi
    Remi July 3, 2009 at 4:25 am | | Reply

Vegetarian diets tend to be lower in saturated fat and cholesterol and have higher levels of dietary fiber, magnesium and potassium, vitamins C and E, folate, carotenoids, flavonoids and other phytochemicals.

6. ACat
    ACat July 5, 2009 at 1:17 am | | Reply

I also wish we will learn more about what certain food cravings might actually mean.

The last few weeks before I was diagnosed with type 1 I was dreaming of food I did not even like very much, like prune cake. I started buying tons of grapes, which I had never eaten much before. Food stuffed with fast acting sugars. A loud cry for help which took me a long time to read.

Same today, when I have a (rare) craving for peanuts: I know it is time to check my vitamin B 12 levels (which are low as a rule). Usually, I cannot even stand the smell of peanuts.

These are the things I find fascinating; and since a doctor explained the peanut-B12 connection to me, it is not so much a will power thing anymore but a look at my calender and yes, it’s 4 weeks since my last shot. Time to refuel. That has helped me an awful lot with not eating certain foods: Understanding why I want to eat them in the first place.

It also leaves me with the feeling I have a real choice.

7. Kristin
    Kristin July 7, 2009 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

Just looking at that cookie made my mouth water. Good post, but now I want to bake chocolate chip cookies. Mmmm…