1. Lauren K
    Lauren K July 6, 2009 at 4:48 pm | | Reply

I’d say that for most of us there is nothing good about being a type 1 diabetic. I was already a health nut before my diagnosis. Since exercising now requires a ton of thought and planning, I exercise LESS these days. Should I run up that hill and risk a low? No, I walk now. I also don’t like to take kayak or sailing trips that take me far from shore, in case I get into trouble with my blood sugar. Many, many activities are curtailed.

And I find that my diet is a lot higher in fat, because of the increased consumption of nuts and certain dairy products, just because they are low-carb. I find myself eating less fruit to avoid glucose spikes, when I used to snack on fruit constantly.

So I can’t call it a blessing in any way, not even a mixed one. I understand better what it’s like to be a patient, so hopefully I can use that knowledge to better relate to my own patients, but that’s about it. Still, though, I’d trade that knowledge for working beta cells and a normal life expectancy in a heartbeat.

2. xim1970
    xim1970 July 6, 2009 at 9:26 pm | | Reply

@ Lauren K,
    I’ve been a T1 for 28 years now, and I absolutely hear you. Even now, when it seems like taking care of myself should be second nature, it is still a struggle. I have my bad days too.
    I was never an exercise freak, or anything close. I do more exercising now (riding my bike, hiking/geocaching), and I’m always careful to bring plenty of snacks.
    I’m guessing that you are newly diagnosed, and maybe a physician? (Quote: “I understand better what it’s like to be a patient, so hopefully I can use that knowledge to better relate to my own patients”)? Trust me, having diabetes will never be easy, but it will get easier, and if you are a physician, please use your knowledge in a positive way. I can’t tell you how many doctors I’ve ignored because “they just don’t understand what it’s like”. You have a unique understanding from the inside. I believe all PWDs would love to have a physician who knew what it was like on a daily basis, so we could have an empathic communication with our doctors, and know that our physician understood what it was like to have this disease.
    It will get easier…it just takes time. Take care!
    Mike C

3. Dan Wilson
    Dan Wilson July 7, 2009 at 12:34 am | | Reply

Yes, you can. More people are diagnosed with diabetes at an early age even more on children. So, it can strike you anytime and at an early age. Being obese and having a sedentary (non-active) lifestyle are the major causes for this (Type 2 diabetes), unless it was genetically transmitted by your parents to you which is a case of Type 1 diabetes.

I found this site diabetes-research.net that deals with diabetes. Their intensive diabetes research helps individual to know more about diabetes and shows some tips/ways on how to prevent and minimize the effects of diabetes and most of all they provide diabetes menu plans to help manage diabetes for those who suffer the illness.

Hope that helps in some way.

4. Andrew
    Andrew July 7, 2009 at 4:58 am | | Reply

I would have to say while I never would wish being type I on anyone in the world. I just did my first half Iron man this weekend. I would never ever have done that before, I came to type I late in the game (well sort of ) 22. While I know my life will be filled with more challenges the the average one I am using those to push me to lead a better life. You never really understand how lucky you are until something like this changes you and your world.

5. Ann
    Ann July 7, 2009 at 6:24 am | | Reply

Amy, thank you for the review of Riva’s book. I first met Riva several years ago at a training session for diabetes peer mentoring and we have been friends ever since. I am awed by Riva’s passion to help PWD manage their diabetes well. In her previous book, The ABC’s of Loving Yourself With Diabetes, Riva taught me that diabetes did not have to be a stumbling block but could be a stepping stone to a healthy, active life by focusing on the positive actions we can take in living with diabetes. Yet, PWD need more than a positive attitude; we need the facts about this disease, which her new book provides. As you stated, this book does dispel 50 of the most prevalent diabetes myths by giving the facts as well as tips to help people find ways to better manage their diabetes. (Yes, I’ve had a sneak preview of a chapter or two.) Even though diabetes is a national health crisis, there is not a lot of media attention given to diabetes, and often what attention is given focuses on the sensational rather than the facts of this disease. The two most glaring recent examples would be the Lantus scare and the concern over the impact of diabetes on Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor’s ability to do the job. I am thankful that Riva is setting the record straight with her new book so that PWD don’t have to be frightened by horror stories they have heard, but can be armed with the facts as we struggle to manage this disease. Being well informed about diabetes is key to managing it well. My copy is already on order.

6. George
    George July 8, 2009 at 4:05 am | | Reply

Sweets often contain not only empty calories but a lot of sugar, a carbohydrate that raises glucose levels considerably. For better glucose control, diabetics should have dessert only after a low-carb meal. It’s important to eat that chicken breast, broccoli, and salad before dishing into some ice cream.

7. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 11, 2009 at 11:53 am | | Reply

I’m a big fan of Riva’s work, and it is exciting to see the finished product!

8. Sheena
    Sheena November 19, 2013 at 5:04 am | | Reply

You’ve put having diabetes on a positive note. It does make us healthier and it is a huge lifestyle change. So I educate myself everyday and know more about diabetes and anything that could help prevent or cure it.