1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson June 1, 2009 at 7:03 am | | Reply

This is a really sensitive subject, because we are (I think) all afraid of dealing with complications like this.

I think it is a great idea, but there is also a need for being able to look at surfaces of the entire foot (around the edges, between toes, etc), which are difficult even for a young, mostly healthy and able man like me.

I think we are all also very stubborn when it comes to foot stuff, trying first to self-medicate, hoping that it is nothing serious. But, as we can see, things get out of control very quickly.

2. Chris
    Chris June 1, 2009 at 9:03 am | | Reply

Thanks for posting Amy!

I just wanted to share that in a related story, Rep. Robert Andrews (D-NJ) recently introduced the Prosthetic and Custom Orthotic Parity Act of 2009 (PCOPA) that will assure access to appropriate orthotic and prosthetic devices to people, including those living with diabetes, by providing fair insurance coverage – something the American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association supports!

http://www.aopanet.org/hot_op_issues/index.php#2479 for more info!

3. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston June 1, 2009 at 8:24 pm | | Reply

Yikes – the photo is REALLY SCARY!!!! :-( Ugh. Scary statistics, scary complications, and even the longevity of a T1 Supreme Court Justice nominee questioned. Am I the only who’s not so sure this gory photo serves a great purpose here?

4. Lauren K
    Lauren K June 1, 2009 at 8:57 pm | | Reply

How to deal with the horrors of vascular complications: glycemic control. Keep your A1c under 6 and I don’t think this is in your future.

5. emily
    emily June 2, 2009 at 3:53 am | | Reply

Awesome information!
    I think that the diabetics are predisposed to having foot problems. Reduced circulation throughout the limbs can lead to numerous ailments.

6. John
    John June 2, 2009 at 11:26 am | | Reply

I work with the National Diabetes Education Program. It offers a couple great resources to help people avoid foot complications as a result of diabetes. The guides aren’t as technically complex as the device above, but since they are free you won’t have to worry about insurance reimbursement!

7. FootSafe for Diabetics « Crazy D’s Blog

[...] was a runner up for the DiabetesMine Design Challenge. The FootSafe by Amy Tenderich is an awesome idea. Tags: Biomedical Informatics, Communication, [...]