1. Jules
    Jules June 8, 2009 at 6:25 am | | Reply

All of these reports coming out of the conference/convention and those being discussed in the WSJ makes me really think that we need to work on separating Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes as truly separate diseases. With the coming ObamaCare I fear that Type 1′s will always be associated with T2′s. For example, todays WSJ talked about a study done on diabetics and heart disease. The study showed that stents and other new drugs did not show any improvement in longevity. I am certain this study only included T2′s. With that type of info, the Govt. controllers will decide across the board, that it wont cover stents in diabetics. Imagine trying to make that point to some government employee and trying to educate them on the diff betwixt T1 and T2. I’m curious if anyone here thinks that their diabetes care will be improved with a government plan? From previous posts, it seems that most posters here are strongly for govt. control.

2. Carol
    Carol June 8, 2009 at 6:51 am | | Reply

Thanks for summarizing all this! Kinda cool about the new Medtronic Sof Sensor. I’d love to lose the tape. Hope you will post about the CGM session(s). Glad they are including the psychological aspect in the talks.

3. Katie
    Katie June 8, 2009 at 7:53 am | | Reply

Jules- I am not for government control! Though I have noticed the same trend from other comments. I am not sure to what extent this is a knee-jerk ‘grass is always greener’ line of thinking versus factually-based opinion. I think my insurance company is a pain in the neck to deal with, yes, but that does not dictate my opinion on nationalized healthcare

4. Wendy
    Wendy June 8, 2009 at 7:55 am | | Reply

Is there any hint from Abbott about the Aviator? I’ve been wondering about where that thing is…

5. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay June 8, 2009 at 10:21 am | | Reply

I can’t imagine they will be marketing the inhalable insulin to type 1′s? Didn’t we already go through this? What I want is to be able to control my diabetes precisely. I would never give up my pump over inhalable insulin, especially if I still require basal/long-acting insulin. Who is consulting for these companies? This money could be better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

Thanks for the updates, Amy.

6. Carol
    Carol June 8, 2009 at 11:01 am | | Reply

Anne, I couldn’t agree more. I get tired of hearing about inhalable insulin since it seems like a sub par therapy choice.

Wendy, I may be behind the times, but I believe Abbott was partnering with the Cozmo pump on the Aviator. So now that Smith’s Medical (owner of Cozmo technology) is exiting the pump market, I wonder if anyone will (or has) jumped in with Abbott on that.

7. Megan
    Megan June 8, 2009 at 11:39 am | | Reply

Carol, the Navigator is Abbott’s CGM. The Aviator is Abbott’s pump that has passed FDA review, but has not been released. Rumors are that they are frantically scurrying around to integrate the Navigator with it, because they no longer have the option to do it with Cozmo.

Any word on the release date of Medtronic’s new Sof-Sensor?

8. steve
    steve June 8, 2009 at 3:12 pm | | Reply

Oral-lyn is not an inhable insulin. It is absorbed through the bucal mucossa of the mouth (the tough lining of the cheeks). This is way better than potentially cancer causing inhalable stuff. It is already available in Egypt and South America. Please, don’t group it with inhalable insulin. Give a detailed report on what you are seeing. Who boluses 20 units at a sitting?! Not me, and I’ve been type for 29 years.

9. Jan
    Jan June 8, 2009 at 5:46 pm | | Reply

Having just defected to the Dexcom 7 Plus cgms, I am curious as to when Minimed with debut the Sof-Sensor? We had been holding off for a solid year; when we saw not action, we just went over to Dex (my niece has been without a cgms for that solid year). I would be annoyed to find MM is NOW bringing out Sof-sensor, though happy for other children. We had asked endo and MM repeatedly when SofSensor (and, more importantly, smaller introducer needle) was arriving; no one knew….I’m guessing it will be another year-long wait, though……

10. mcityrk
    mcityrk June 8, 2009 at 6:17 pm | | Reply

According to the D Kliff’s newsletter, the Abbott Navigator is pretty much DOA and Edwards hospital based CGM effort is a partnership with Dexcom.

11. Lauren K
    Lauren K June 9, 2009 at 2:24 am | | Reply

Jules, maybe WSJ is the organization that needs to get the difference between type 1 and type 2 straight, especially after their earlier remark on Sotomayor’s diabetes. I would take ObamaCare any day over the current for-profit system, because Obama is smart and has smart people working with him, while the people running companies such as Anthem Blue Cross are both ignorant and greedy. I firmly believe in single-payer health care after dealing with the nightmare that is for-profit insurance, from both the patient’s and the physician’s perspective.

Talk about not understanding the difference between type 1 and type 2 — Blue Cross reps have told me, on multiple occasions, that metformin is a “generic” (and, coincidentally, dirt-cheap) alternative to insulin. I have to explain, to no avail, that type 1 requires insulin. The continual fights I have with them to get my insulin “authorized” have been infuriating. They often authorize Lantus but not Humalog, and I have to call to explain that I need both, because while they are both insulins they have different kinetic profiles, about every few months. On and on and on.

The current for-profit system is a disaster. I have a chronic condition and I need insulin to live. I won’t wake up tomorrow and magically be cured of my insulin dependence, unless I have a fairy godmother at work. Why should I have to fight and argue to have insulin temporarily covered, when I faithfully pay my inflated premium? And how many billions in profit does this company make, while screwing sick people out of care and coverage? It’s just wrong.

12. Strawberry
    Strawberry June 9, 2009 at 2:15 pm | | Reply

Jules – I am one of the lucky ones with a darn good health insurance plan at the moment. I KNOW my care would be diminished under a government “universal” plan. Those without insurance or who are underinsured would get care they desperately need, but those of who currently have deluxe plans would suffer. I suppose that’s fair, but universal care scares the heck out of me.
    On the flipside, insurance tied to my job (or right now my husband’s job) is terribly scary as well. If we ever lose it, we are completely screwed under our current health care system.
    I do not know the answer, and while Obama is indeed smart, he and his smart workers will NOT be able to solve this problem.
    Our system is woefully broken.

13. Steve
    Steve June 9, 2009 at 5:53 pm | | Reply

Hi,

Very intresting read. I have read a few posts on your site now and thourghly enjoy it..
    With regards to the Oral-lyn insulin spray, will there be only one strengh (one unit per puff) Or will there be different strenghs as in asthsma inhalers? I could see the problem you mention, could be really big.
    For instance a person who takes over 50 units a day would surley go through a lot of inhalers. I doubt that you would even get 50 puffs in a single pump anyway, (I maybe wrong) is just my opiniun.

14. Dr. L.K. Shankhdhar, M.D.
    Dr. L.K. Shankhdhar, M.D. June 14, 2009 at 5:46 pm | | Reply

I have been presenting 1-4 abstracts in ADA every year since 2005. This year I submitted 3 abstracts and all were accepted (P-1081, Poster oral abstract, titled “Diabetes education through mobifilms” and one Published Only abstract (No: PO-2204). What pinched me this year was that several poster presenters did not turn up and their sites remained vacant. Several Published only abstracts could have been accommodated in their place, had there been any system with ADA to have firm commitment with presenters and in case of omission, some Published only abstracts could have been elevated to the status of Poster presentation.