1. CALpumper
    CALpumper June 28, 2009 at 8:03 pm | | Reply

“*Sigh* In the end, it’s always the patients who suffer most.”

I TOtally agree. It sucks ass, big time.
    Technology can have it’s pitfalls, definitely.

Ha ha, captcha:
    2)guiding bullitt

I say: Guiding Bullshit.
    (just sayin’) ;-)

2. Shamae
    Shamae June 28, 2009 at 8:55 pm | | Reply

Hmmm interesting. I wish they wouldn’t introduce things like this until they are proven. Just throwing ideas like this casually around could cause mass panic and, you are right, at this point it is more dangerous to not take you Lantus.

3. Ben Smith
    Ben Smith June 28, 2009 at 11:47 pm | | Reply

I THINK NOVO MAY BE BEHIND ALL THIS TO INCREASE THE SALE OF THEIR OWN BASAL INSULIN!

4. HeidiRenee
    HeidiRenee June 29, 2009 at 4:56 am | | Reply

And you did that exact same thing to me by using that headline. My heart is in my throat, my 11 year old type 1 sitting next to me – and I read this? you did the exact same thing you were accusing other people about. Totally irresponsible. I have lurked here for months, but I am honestly considering removing you from my reader. I did not need to start my day with information like that. Sensationalizing is tempting isn’t it – that’s why others do it, and you did it here.

5. Bennet
    Bennet June 29, 2009 at 5:43 am | | Reply

I guess this is a Your Diabetes May Vary thing in that I read Amy’s headline and thought, “Great Amy is writing on the Lantus thing! I will be able to read something with intelligent details, unlike everything else I have seen this week.”

She is in touch with what is in the news and does her homework. I like it when she does a Law and Order, you know, “Ripped Form the Headlines.” To me it is important for her to use similar headlines language so that those folks who may have heard something form someone, who also suggest that cinnamon maybe better than Lantus, and choose to Google Search can find Diabetes Mine along with the really crummy stories that use the same kind of language.

In point of fact all us DOC folks should use the similar headline and make similar points to help people find the idea that the short term consequences of not taking insulin are a lot more serious than possible long term colorations.

Readers will get information that looks past simplistic pabulum. This is why I have Amy in my reader. This is why I read here first. This is why I keep Diabetes Mine in my reader. This is why I recommend it to others.

Amy
    Love Ya / Mean It

Bennet

6. Lantus may cause Cancer? « D and The Guy – A blog about Diabetes in real life

[...] Amy Tenderich also has some coverage over at Diabetes Mine [...]

7. 2Dinternational.com » » Does Lantus Cause Cancer? - DiabetesMine: the all things …

[...] president of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes … Read the rest here:  » Does Lantus Cause Cancer? – DiabetesMine: the all things … This entry is filed under Cancer. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 [...]

8. scottrr
    scottrr June 29, 2009 at 10:08 am | | Reply

Great article Amy. I agree with everything you said.

I am a type 2 diabetic who has previously taken Avandia and am currently taking Lantus.

I have worked in drug development research for over 25 years. Nothing in this report should cause a panic, but it probably will. As for me, I will continue with my Lantus

9. rdreese
    rdreese June 29, 2009 at 10:43 am | | Reply

I hope and pray this is not a panic generated situtation where some one intentionally is going to short-sell Sanofi-Aventis stock reaping huge profits. This seems to be the thing these days of late

10. Bill
    Bill June 29, 2009 at 11:45 am | | Reply

You are naive to believe anything the government tells you about Lantus or any other drug!

The drug tests are no longer conducted in Universities, they are conducted in drug company labs. Where does the money come from to finance the tests? From the drug companies! Do you know that there are 2 drug company lobbyists for every 1 Congressperson?

They are desperate to keep their hold on the treatment of chronic diseases. Click here to learn what happens to natural cures and treatments http://tw6.us/mq

11. Michele
    Michele June 29, 2009 at 1:48 pm | | Reply

Amy- I work in the industry and heard about this last week through investors, who seemed to have some information, but nothing concrete, which didn’t stop any of them from crying that the sky was falling. It’s very sad to me that the motivation for their cries was money with absolutely NO discussion or consideration of impact to the patients. Thank you for being a voice of reason and an advocate for PWD.

12. Kent
    Kent June 29, 2009 at 3:20 pm | | Reply

Great! What alternatives are there to Lantus?

13. Jules
    Jules June 29, 2009 at 3:47 pm | | Reply

I wonder if there is any info on the fast acting Insulin like Humalog and Apridra. Anyone want to take a guess as to which one might be the safest to take. I was on lantus for several years before my Omni-Pod.

14. Brian
    Brian June 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm | | Reply

I wonder what would happen to Sanofi-Aventis stock if there was a cure? That stock would plummet to nothing. When I first became a Type 1 diabetic I was told it would be cured in 20 years. 30 years later it is still non-existent. Stem cells look promising, but not if it effects stock prices.

Brian

15. George Chucky
    George Chucky June 29, 2009 at 6:38 pm | | Reply

This new does not surprise me, sanofi also produced acomplia rimonabant, and it was retired from market after clinical trials proved it caused suicide in some patients in the UK. This company is a shame.

16. Joe
    Joe June 30, 2009 at 4:16 pm | | Reply

Curious Amy, after reading your column do you receive any financial support from Sanofi?

Take a closer look at Lantus and it’s affinity to the IGF-1 receptor, it’s over 600%, human insulin is 100%, most companies won’t even develop an insulin of its IGF-1 affinity is over 100%.

17. Hugo
    Hugo July 1, 2009 at 12:54 am | | Reply

Amy, what is your point with that link to WSJ?

18. Harry Carmen
    Harry Carmen July 1, 2009 at 7:22 am | | Reply

I am curious of this artical that has been posted. My Mother has been using Lantus for almost 3 years. She was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer recently. Is there a link??? I question that now.

19. MikeC
    MikeC July 1, 2009 at 11:07 am | | Reply

Well consider the alternative of not taking any insulin I’d be dead long ago so thanks to insulin we all get to have this discussion (least those type 1s here) . I currently take lantus coming from NPH so switching back and forth is not that big of deal while this is sorted. I agree with this article that pushing this kind of info out for public consumption was unwise and will damage the drug maker regardless of case being proven false.

As for the person above whining about the headline, stop being so sensitive. Even the headline is “Does Lantus Cause Cancer?” not “Lantus Causes Cancer. . . You’re Doomed!!!” I think you shouldn’t be using the internet for anything medically related if you are that easily scared by what you find.

20. Brian
    Brian July 1, 2009 at 3:30 pm | | Reply

I have been taking Lantus for over five years. This past January, I was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 36 with no family history. Given my situation and the studies being published, my doctor has recommended that stop using Lantus and switch to NPH until we have more information. I took my last dose of Lantus this morning and I have to say it felt scary… I am in the middle of chemo now. I truly hope that Lantus had nothing to do with my cancer.

21. jan
    jan July 1, 2009 at 7:51 pm | | Reply

There is an alternative to Lantus…Levemir. This is a basal insulin. Talk to your doctor. It works Great!!!! Why would you take an insulin that might have any possiblity of being linked with cancer when you don’t have to??? Isn’t that a no brainer?

22. A little bit of everything « 25 Units To Go

[...] the stuff into my body for over 7 years. On the bright side, Amy over at DiabetesMine wrote a very insightful post about this story, and she makes an excellent point. There is by no means evidence of causation yet, [...]

23. Jenna
    Jenna July 2, 2009 at 3:00 am | | Reply

There are other insulins out there that were proven safe and in no way linked to cancer – like Levemir and Novolin N – Levemir is not only safe but is also long acting once a day insulin.

24. Jules
    Jules July 2, 2009 at 8:36 am | | Reply

I am currently using Apidra in my insulin pump. I’m wondering, since Apidra is made by the same company as Lantus, and the scientific name sounds similar, if it might make sense to switch back to humalog? Anyone have any educated guessses?

25. John P
    John P July 2, 2009 at 5:03 pm | | Reply

Being someone who is familiar with this situation, Novo is not responsible for these 4 studies – Novo Nordisk, in fact, were in no way affiliated with these studies. FYI, Novo Nordisk developed the molecule that became Lantus. but decided not to go forward with it because it has a very high IGF-1R affinity of 641 – Novo only develops insulin with affinity to bind to this receptor at or below the natural human insulin affinity of 100%. The theory is that the IGF affinity of 641% that Lantus has cause cell proliferation and can cause existing tumor to grow even more rapidly. Levemir has an IGF-1R affinity of 16%. Sanofi took the chance going forward with Lantus because they knew all along about the high IGF-1 receptor affinity and developed the drug anyway. While I agree patients should not go off their insulin, they also need to know the truth and in my opinion Levemir seems the much safer choice for a long-acting insulin.

26. John P
    John P July 2, 2009 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

The alternative to Lantus is Levemir, a long-acting basal insulin you take in the evening that gives you 24 hour control. Some studies also show that Levemir causes less weight gain than Lantus does. Levemir has an IGF-1R affinity of 16% and Lantus has an IGF-1R affinity of 641% – the lower the affinity to this IGF-1R, the better.

The alternative to Apidra is Novolog or Humalog. Novolog has a lower IGF-1R affinity compared to Humalog and also has a more consistent peak time.

FYI.

27. Susan
    Susan July 2, 2009 at 5:41 pm | | Reply

the very sad thing is: how many people died while Pfizer denied there was any problem with their oral anti diabetic agent, Rezulin (sp?) Money ALWAYS is the
    first concern of the Pharmaceutical companies.

28. Steve
    Steve July 3, 2009 at 9:10 am | | Reply

Until the public is educated about the difference between correlation and cause this type of confusion will continue to exist. We’re already convinced that the correlation between high cholesteral and heart disease is biblical cause and effect. There is a difference between a “risk factor” and a causal event. Having a swimming pool is a risk factor for drowning. It doesn’t cause it. Spoons don’t make you fat.

In the end a more enlightened consumer who thinks skeptically and critically about the plethora of “research” that abounds is our only real solution.

29. Michel
    Michel July 4, 2009 at 8:02 am | | Reply

We in the academe, believe that Lantus (Glargine) really can cause cancer.

30. Does the insulin Lantus (glargine) cause cancer? « Laika’s MedLibLog

[...] reading the publications (1-5), news articles and some blogposts (i.e. a balanced blogpost at Diabetesmine, a blog of a patient) and a very thorough blogpost in Dutch), I rather conclude that the recent publications in [...]

31. Brief Grand Rounds from Argentina | Pharmamotion

[...] a patient point of view, Amy Tenderich gives us her insight on the [...]

32. Jenny
    Jenny July 8, 2009 at 9:01 am | | Reply

It does not look as if I should panic :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOi2YmsekoE&feature=channel. Just like Scott, I’ll keep on going with lantus as usual.

33. Nurse Kenny
    Nurse Kenny July 9, 2009 at 9:33 pm | | Reply

@Brian sorry about your recent diagnosis. Unfortunately diabetics are at increased risk for breast, colon, pancreas cancer.

I have been a nurse for over 10 years and have worked extensively with managing diabetes.

Someone mentioned IGF-1 receptor affinity, while it is true that Lantus has a high affinity to this receptor, the big question is what does that mean to patient’s?

First of all there are three receptor chains IR (insulin receptor), IGF-1 (insulin like growth factor receptor 1), and IGF-2. These structural chains of IR and IGF-1 are very similar an almost identical. Any insulin will bind primarily to the insulin receptors and growth factors will bind to the growth factor receptors. There is very little binding of insulin to growth factor receptors and vice versa. Therefore if you understand this concept you will see that the high affinity of lantus means NOTHING in terms of activating and binding to the growth factor receptors. And it makes perfect sense to have a higher affinity to the growth factor receptors because it closely resembles the insulin receptors. It’s not rocket science people!!!! In 1999 the FDA requested sanofi-aventis to conduct clinical trials to answer the questions concerning high affinity to the growth factor receptors of lantus and its possible link to cancer development. A study was conducted and completed and is available for your review by Dr. Rosenstock 2009, which confirm that when compared to NPH (human insulin), Lantus has no new safety concerns.

The only way in human beings to explore a possible link between growth factor receptor high affinity and any possible link to cancer is to study patients with diabetic retinopathy. There is a link between growth factor receptor high affinity and an increase in diabetic retinopathy. So if you take patients who do not have cancer and they are diabetics you randomize them on Lantus or NPH and you monitor them for four years looking for any type of tumor growth malignant or benign, then you will have a real scientific trial comparing apples to apples (patients were from USA and Canada, both groups were similar in age duration of diabetes and all other things being equal). That was the design of the Rosenstock trial which results showed no new safety concerns with lantus. Lantus is the only insulin thus far with this type of long-term safety data specifically looking at cancer.

34. Nurse Kenny
    Nurse Kenny July 9, 2009 at 9:35 pm | | Reply

Oh yeah, Novo is NOT responsible. Doctor with Byetta is….. FYI

35. dave
    dave July 12, 2009 at 9:28 pm | | Reply

i had problems the first and last week i used this crap..now 6 months later i have 2 big lumps …..i have had it with drug companmies using us a guinny pigs

36. Denice
    Denice July 14, 2009 at 9:02 am | | Reply

Does anyone know the numbers for Humalog vs Novolog in regards to the IGF-1R affinity. I have a five year old on Humalog (just switched Lantus to Levemir) and want to know if it’s worth it to switch to Novolog. I called both companies and of course could not find out any information.

37. Maureen
    Maureen July 15, 2009 at 6:01 pm | | Reply

Novolog (Aspart) has an affinity to the IGF-1 receptor of 81% versus Humalog (Lispro) at 156%.

38. Peter
    Peter July 18, 2009 at 1:08 am | | Reply

Unveliable guys…how can you guys blame on Novo? Why don’t you just look at the fact that this is the forth SA drug that has problems with patients’ health? Let the authorities decide about these findings and do not try confuse society about pharma companies’ interests.

39. Malignant Molly
    Malignant Molly July 19, 2009 at 10:50 am | | Reply

listen to Maureen people!

40. RICHARD N. KEENE
    RICHARD N. KEENE July 21, 2009 at 8:33 am | | Reply

I have Fibromyalgia and my Dr. prescribed me Lantus, the smallest amount. I took it for 1 week and the pain from my Fibro. increased ten fold and my sugar didn’t come down. So what was his reaction? Double the dose! Needless to say I didn’t and am feeling a hell of a lot better and still looking for a Dr.

41. RICHARD N. KEENE
    RICHARD N. KEENE July 21, 2009 at 8:39 am | | Reply

I forgot to mention that I told Aventis of my problem and sent them the receipt and they promptly sent me a check for what it cost me. Does that tell you something? When did a drug company ever reimburse a customer when they complained about a product?

42. SomeOne
    SomeOne July 21, 2009 at 12:44 pm | | Reply

I have diabetes and i Believe that an insulin pump is the best thing
    anyone could possibly have and there ain’t no cancers :D
    plus there is a new test product it acts like lantus but more healthy.

43. Lucy
    Lucy July 21, 2009 at 11:49 pm | | Reply

How about animal insulin? There are people who still take that and it is does not have IGF. YOu can get it from Canada, but ins. will not cover it most likely.

44. josh
    josh July 22, 2009 at 5:38 am | | Reply

Oh poor Sanofi!!! They knew about the IGF-1 receptor before bringing Lantus to market. But all the can think about is $$$…
    The public should be given all the relevant facts so they can make an informative decision when it comes to their treatment.
    Levemir & Protaphane is an alternative to Lantus that is safer, less weight gain and better control.

45. Clint
    Clint August 2, 2009 at 7:58 pm | | Reply

I was curious about your reference to cancer and long-term high blood sugars readings. Has this link been confirmed? I am a participant in DCCT and EDIC clinical trials for many years and have never heard any discussion of such links. I would be grateful to know more about this.

46. Cate
    Cate September 14, 2009 at 6:06 pm | | Reply

Sloan Kettering took me off lantus….
    Hi – I’ve had Type 1 for (gasp) 35 years & look & feel fantastic — a true poster child to remove the “Dis” from ability :) Thought I’d mention that my healthy self was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at Sloan Kettering, the kingpins of all things cancer-related. Thyroid cnacer doesn’t run in my family, etc. They removed it this past April & I’m feeling great. They also immediately removed me off Lantus which I was taking for many many years because of the possible cancer connection. I don’t doubt conspiracy angles from either products; however thought I’d mention that Sloan advised against Lantus.

47. Veronica
    Veronica January 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm | | Reply

Hi my name is Veronica and I am a diabetic. My doctor started me on Lantus over 3 years ago and guess what I had cancer and almost lost my life. I just found out yesterday that Lantus might be causing my seizures, and also many other painful side effects, how’s that! I am really angry! I have been going through hell for the past years; because of a drug that I believe is causing this. Money talks I guess. The drug companies are probably sitting there pretty while people like us are suffering, because of side effects that they conveniently forget to tell us. What a disgrace! I’ve worked all my life. I have never asked anyone for anything and now my life has been completely destroyed. I can’t work. I can’t function and instead of correcting the problems and facing the mess that has been created by the greedy drug companies they keep on passing out lies. We also have these people that are getting paid by the very people to push these lies and keep pushing the problem under the rug. What in God’s name is wrong with this picture? Ya and by the way it does make you feel great when you first start it. Wait a few months after taking it.