1. tmana
    tmana May 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm | | Reply

If the Americans With Disabilities Act covers diabetes, then he is bound by regulation to not consider Sotomayor’s diabetes.

The issues I can foresee are (1) whether or not diabetes will cause Sotomayor to lose more days of work than the average Justice, and (2) whether or not her opinions are skewed by (or could be purchased on account of) her diabetes. To which the answers are (1) I don’t know, but probably not, and (2) would she have gotten this far if that were true?

2. Elizabeth Snouffer
    Elizabeth Snouffer May 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm | | Reply

Thank you for your thorough coverage on this. It is astounding that this has become a qualifying issue… but I am glad it has. Here’s why…..

President Obama has no choice but to consider the effect diabetes will have on Sotomayor’s appointment now that it has become a public/political issue
    AND
    It is a fantastic opportunity to educate the public about diabetes, foster intelligent awareness with a positive role model/public figure and eliminate stereotyping and myths that abound! I am excited! Let’s hope this goes in the right direction.

Another question to ask is how can we (the diabetes community) help?! I am not residing in the USA (but am a US citizen)… is there a national petition, can we call our state representatives? Has anyone thought of rallying or protesting (if it starts snowballing downhill)? Count me in.

3. CALpumper
    CALpumper May 14, 2009 at 11:01 pm | | Reply

For any job your qualifications for said job should come first, not your health.

I vote for her to get in based on her qualifications.

As a T1, Her T1 is just a bonus. ;-)

4. Sara
    Sara May 15, 2009 at 7:29 am | | Reply

I think even considering her diabetes is a ridiculous argument. Because she ‘might’ die sooner? Well, I would like to know if any of the judges ride motorcycles, or smoke, or drink. Because THEY might die sooner too.

5. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange May 15, 2009 at 7:40 am | | Reply

The worst part is that it truly has nothing to do with her diabetes. Partisan politics always being played by everyone

6. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez May 15, 2009 at 10:11 am | | Reply

A very interesting discussion has sparked about this topic on TuDiabetes, Amy:

7. Jenni Prokopy - ChronicBabe
    Jenni Prokopy - ChronicBabe May 15, 2009 at 11:45 am | | Reply

my immediate thought: chronicbabe in the house! how awesome would it
    be to have someone who lives with chronic illness on the court?
    someone who understands the health care system that so many of
    struggle with? could really make for some breakthroughs. guess i need
    to read up on her background and positions before i get too excited,
    though.

8. Robbin McManus-Turtle
    Robbin McManus-Turtle May 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm | | Reply

Amy,
    Thank you for this interesting article. I believe th job should come first, not the disability. It is interesting that se has come this far and had no problems. Perhaps it is a mater of race but trying to be covered up. I believe this is a case of discrimination. I also believe the President does not need to look any furthr into this. Look how frequently our last Vice President went into the hospital. No one fired him!
    Turtle

9. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay May 15, 2009 at 4:08 pm | | Reply

as long as they are checking how often the other candidates eat Big Macs and getting too little sleep, I would be okay with it. (kidding here)

10. xim1970
    xim1970 May 15, 2009 at 8:22 pm | | Reply

“Isn’t it discrimination to withhold a position from someone because they *might* someday have complications that could threaten their health?”

Absolutely. If it isn’t, it should be. Any one of us could walk into the street and get hit by a bus. I guess none of us should be working because we have to cross the street now and again. Isn’t that a complication that could threaten our health?

If so, then we can put all Americans out of work. Then there’s no money to pay for health insurance, hospitals have no money to pay for employees, so they’re out of work, more people die…you see where I’m going with this.

Horrifying that a spokeswoman from the JDRF would say ANYTHING more than positive things about how well we diabetics can survive. Oh wait, she must have been that nurse that I overheard when I was 11 (and first diagnosed in 1981) that said “he may not live beyond 40″. Guess what? 39 and going strong! Still got my eyesight, feet, hands, and strong mind!

11. Hadi
    Hadi May 15, 2009 at 8:40 pm | | Reply

I agree with cal pumper, for any job the first thing to consider is her/his qualification. And her qualification is more than enough.

12. Lee
    Lee May 17, 2009 at 10:05 am | | Reply

I fail to see how the fact that she is a diabetic has anything to do with her ability to function as a member of SCOTUS. It might have some impact on the duration of her term since its a lifetime appointment. But even that should be a minor consideration, it considered at all. If she is qualified and is the right person for the job, then her diabetes should not factor in.

Than being said, I personally do not believe she is qualified because of her admission (on video, no less) that she practices “legislation from the bench”. This, and this alone, should disqualify anyone from a position on the court.

13. Nelson Sherry
    Nelson Sherry May 17, 2009 at 4:35 pm | | Reply

Taking into account the judge’s diabetes when appointing her to the supreme court is completely irresponsible. She’s lived and performed this long at this level with this disease, so obviously she is managing it effectively. AND, I sure hope none of the other appointees on the supreme court smoke, have high blood pressure or are over weight because, they are all potentially more debilitating that well managed diabetes.

14. Kim
    Kim May 18, 2009 at 12:31 pm | | Reply

I cannot even believe that this is an issue whatsoever.

Judicial temperament is not affected by diabetes. Living with any challenge gives the potential nominee an insight that many of us will never have.

Nominees should be nominated, judged (no pun intended) and confirmed on the merits of their accomplishments and their history of law decisions, not on the state of their pancreatic function.

(What’s next, no judges with bifocals because they might have trouble reading the legal briefs?)

15. Jules
    Jules May 19, 2009 at 2:36 pm | | Reply

I think the only reason it’s an issue would be because you want to choose someone that will last a long time. It would be an issue only for the Democrats because they want a candidate that not only reflects their convictions but also will be there a long time. Both of President Bushes appointees were fairly young and conservative which really angered the left. So, it’s really just a political thing and not a reflection on how well she could do her job. The reality is that our life expectancy is lower because of our disease.

16. Linda Hoopaugh
    Linda Hoopaugh May 20, 2009 at 7:30 am | | Reply

She is well qualified for the position. She has a chronic illness which doesn’t seem to keep her from being very successful in life. Diabeties does not have to be disabling when a person learns to work hard to control it, rather than allow it to control you. Very obviously, this candidate has worked extremely hard to accomplish all that she has, why should she not be working to take control of diabeties?

17. Dennis
    Dennis May 20, 2009 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

Well, First of all I think they serve way too long.. Eventually we all are going to get something as we get into our 80′s… Just like our Politicians..

18. kelly close
    kelly close May 25, 2009 at 1:22 am | | Reply

hi Amy thanks for this. for what it’s worth, maybe i’m in a dreamland, but i actually don’t consider myself ill for a second! not to get into an old debate but i really do think diabetes is a condition and it doesn’t have to be more if we have the resources and time to take care of ourselves. it’s a lot of work and a lot of money (part of my thinking that it isn’t an illness is that I have CGM and a pump) but i think my health is better not worse because of my diabetes because i work harder at it than i otherwise would. to think there could be discrimination against Ms. Sotomayor is unbelievable. She probably takes better care of herself than many others on the Court now! thank you for the article….

19. Julius Snow
    Julius Snow May 26, 2009 at 7:09 am | | Reply

I agree with Jules. Since Bush placed young John Roberts and Samuel Alito on the bench, both Federalist Society idealogues, I would prefer that Obama place someone with an excellent longevity who would be a counter weight to Roberts and Alito. I’m not sure who that should be, but Sotomayor appears more pragmatic than visionary.

20. Bill Quick
    Bill Quick May 26, 2009 at 7:41 am | | Reply

As Ms. Sotomayor’s credentials were being discussed this morning before and after President Obama’s announcement, there was lots about her politics, her ethnicity, and her gender, I heard nothing about her diabetes.

21. Steve Parker, M.D.
    Steve Parker, M.D. May 26, 2009 at 8:27 am | | Reply

The ability to appoint a Supreme is one of the greatest powers of a President, and a part of his or her legacy. The chance comes up infrequently. I fully expect Obama’s people have thoroughly reviewed her health history and are confident she’s relatively healthy and has a reasonable life expectancy. Note that the phenomenon of many type 1 diabetics living past 60 is relatively new.——-Steve Parker, M.D.

22. sotomayor diabetes
    sotomayor diabetes May 26, 2009 at 10:26 am |

[...] [1] Disability News | PatriciaEBauer.com ” diabetes [2] ” Supreme Court Prospect Sotomayor Has Diabetes: Deal or No Deal … [3] Disability News | PatriciaEBauer.com ” News Archive ” Sotomayor’s … [4] [...]

23. Maude
    Maude May 26, 2009 at 3:20 pm | | Reply

Please be happy an encouraged by this and forget all the negative stuff.
    Celebrate the lady. Forget the diabetes. It is so well managed these days that it is a non issue.

Maude

24. » Sotomayor’s Diabetes — Our “Teachable Moment” - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] Supreme Court Prospect Sotomayor Has Diabetes: Deal or No Deal? [...]

25. Sotomayor and disability law « DUNCAN CROSS

[...] Keri at Diabetes Mine asks: Does the position of Supreme Court Justice fall under the American Disabilities Act?  Good question. [...]

26. Rosalind Joffe
    Rosalind Joffe May 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm | | Reply

I always advise clients to disclose only if the disease impacts how you work. Too bad but in this case, Sotomayor didn’t have that choice. Because this is a non-issue. And that is the point, isn’t it? Many parts of who she is (growing up poor, father dying young, being a minority in several realms) inform her decisions. She has proven that she can manage living with disease and that’s all any employer needs to worry about. Worry about her life expectancy based on some statistics? Give me a break. This is code language for a common ailment called bias and fear of chronic illness. It isn’t incurable but unfortunately, it often goes untreated.

27. Edwina Mitchell
    Edwina Mitchell May 30, 2009 at 8:38 am | | Reply

If she can do the job then let her. Having Diabetes is not an issue here only weather or not she can do the job that she is being given.
    If we make Diabetes and issue for Public Service then we should make all Illnesses an issue. How many of those in Service would have to give up their seats, either on the House Seats, Coungress’ seats ,The White House, Judges from any State, Governors, How about Doctors them selves, Teachers, Court House Employees and on and on ….

28. Margie Abella
    Margie Abella May 30, 2009 at 9:39 am | | Reply

I do not agree that having diabetes could not make her fuction well. She is very qualified for the position and why don’t we give her a chance to do her job. I’m also diabetic but still I can do my job very well in Sales. Diabetes is not really an issue here..

29. AB
    AB October 5, 2009 at 12:52 am | | Reply

30. dandan
    dandan October 21, 2009 at 11:21 pm | | Reply

AND

31. powerleveling
    powerleveling November 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm | | Reply

Well, First of all I think they serve way too long.. Eventually we all are going to get something as we get into our 80’s… Just like our Politicians..

32. Sotomayor's diabetes: A legitimate reservation or discrimination? | The Health Culture

[...] to Sotomayor because of her health condition? In her award-winning blog on diabetes, Amy Tenderich notes that diabetes is a chronic condition, not a terminal disease. Individuals may be ill, but [...]

33. Charm Beads
    Charm Beads August 26, 2010 at 1:36 am | | Reply

First of all, you cant always go by stereotypes. A large number of latinos come from a mixed ancestry and arent mostly dark skinned as you described.

34. Manufacturers Directory
    Manufacturers Directory March 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm | | Reply

35. Obama Nominates Type 1 Diabetic to Supreme Court - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] Update: I recommend Amy Tendrich’s discussion on Sotomayor and the role of diabetes in public office. [...]