1. Don
    Don May 4, 2009 at 12:27 pm | | Reply

Yay! A significant redesign. Color screen. Buttons are changed. Now has vibrate motor inside (with only 0.4 oz added weight). And who knows, maybe other changes to make it CGM capable?

2. dicus
    dicus May 4, 2009 at 1:05 pm | | Reply

Holy Cow! At only $150 I might just hop on the upgrade bandwagon. Useful software (as promised a long time ago) would be great.

3. felix
    felix May 4, 2009 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

looks good. is it smaller than the current one?

4. Jodi
    Jodi May 4, 2009 at 1:48 pm | | Reply

There is already software that is awesome. I download and print out my son’s info weekly. It is great, I an’t believe it’s going to get better….any word on how the upgrade will go when it is integrated with dexcom or the navigator?

5. dicus
    dicus May 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm | | Reply

Just ordered mine.
    Q) How much? A) 149.99.
    Q) When will it ship? A) June 1.
    Q)Software included? A) Yes and USB!!! cable included.
    Q) updated meter to Freestyle lite? A) No. Still Freestyle meter.
    Credit Card required for pre-order and they will charge your card when the unit ships in June.

6. Elijah M
    Elijah M May 4, 2009 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

If they can’t be bothered to develop software for the Mac (which is pretty easy now—they’ve been running on Intel chips for three years), I wish they could at least open up the system so someone else can. I’m sure the software is great, but all I really want is a simple print-out of my history over a protracted period of time, and if the meter could just give me a simple CSV file, I could set that up pretty easily.

Any word with regard to whether the software still requires Microsoft Excel to work? Assuming that I’m up for running Windows on my Mac, I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend $100 on than a bloated office productivity suite for which there are a number of perfectly adequate (and free) alternatives.

7. Don
    Don May 4, 2009 at 2:48 pm | | Reply

“is it smaller than the current one?”

No, according to manuals I have, the new PDM is essentially same size:

new:
    2.6″ wide x 4.3″ long x 1.0″ high
    old:
    2.5″ wide x 4.5″ long x 1.0″ high

8. Eric R.
    Eric R. May 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm | | Reply

When I said the new software is for a “PC” I did not mean a “Windows” PC. I forgot to ask my rep if the software will be for Windows or Mac or both, so I don’t know (kind of embarrassing, since I am a Mac user, too – although I do use both on a daily basis). I’m sending her an email now, so I’ll report back if I get an answer about that.
    By the way, just because Macs are now built with Intel chips does not make developing software for both Windows and OS X any easier. The operating systems are not compatible in any way (other than the fact that you can easily run Windows inside a OS X using something like VirtualBox, VMWare, or Parallels). There are programming languages they could use to make it cross-platform, but whether they do that or not is a technical decision for their software engineers.
    I’m a software developer myself; if Insulet does not provide Mac software I might consider a project to write something for OS X.

As for size, my rep said it is “noticeably” thinner, but also a tad bit longer, than the original PDM.

9. Pete
    Pete May 4, 2009 at 5:37 pm | | Reply

The software is supposed to be based on Abbott’s CoPilot software.

10. Eric R.
    Eric R. May 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm | | Reply

My rep just replies that it is indeed Windows only. Too bad.
    I will seriously consider starting a project to develop a Mac application for this, if I think I can figure out how to pull the data off the PDM. That is the only difficult part that I can think of.

11. Mark
    Mark May 5, 2009 at 5:51 am | | Reply

Any idea how many colors the screen will support? It doesn’t look like it supports many or maybe that they didn’t use many — kind of like they just took the old screens and added a bit of color and called it a day.

Does anyone have detailed specs on the new unit? How about a user’s manual?

Does anyone have a comparison chart comparing the old unit and the new one?

12. Fred
    Fred May 5, 2009 at 8:02 am | | Reply

Don’t know what happened with the address above, just copy and paste the complete address into your browser for the Omnipod manual

13. StageWest
    StageWest May 5, 2009 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Anyone know the cost for first time buyers (no upgrade)?

14. Brian
    Brian May 6, 2009 at 9:26 am | | Reply

This looks great but if they don’t get the bugs works out in the actual pod i.e. dead pods, turning off after 2 days etc. I am still weary of this product.

15. Alexis Pollak
    Alexis Pollak May 6, 2009 at 9:49 am | | Reply

Boo-yah! Time for the upgrade – so excited about this thing! Finally a color screen, way easier to read that the grey we have now and smaller design that looks like it might even fit in a jeans pocket.

16. Don
    Don May 6, 2009 at 4:08 pm | | Reply

The new PDM is not smaller!

There’s something about hearing Insulet has re-designed the PDM that makes people assume the new PDM is smaller (I did at first). It isn’t! For me it was an unconscious assumption that if given a chance to redesign it, they would automatically try to make it smaller. It is a bit counter-intuitive that a system offering you the freedom of no tubes with the pump mechanism and insulin being in the pod would have a PDM so large. Admittedly, most of the surprisingly large size must be due to the integrated bg meter. Plus, the PDM has a screen double the size of any tubed pump and now sports a vibrate motor.

17. Jessica Hickok
    Jessica Hickok May 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm | | Reply

Oh happy day for us Omnipod users indeed. Thanks for sharing!

18. » New OmniPod Color PDM: A First Look - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] New OmniPod PDM is Here! [...]

19. Kristen
    Kristen May 14, 2009 at 8:31 am | | Reply

Hi there!

I am currently a Minimed Paradigm user and have not had any major issues, with the exception of not being too found of always being connected to something! I am in the works of getting the OmniPod..getting the current one and then upgrading in a few weeks, I think. We are leaving in 10 days for a cruise and to have the Omni Pod for that will make things easier for me..then, once the new one ships, I can use that one and have a back-up at all times. My question for everyone, is because I had used the test pod for the last few days..the adhesive is smaller than I would have expected, given the size and weight of the pod. When I have worked out the last few days, I have noticed the adhesive losing some of it’s hold. IS this something that will continue to be a problem? If so, I may have to rethink this decision!

20. Alison
    Alison June 1, 2009 at 9:11 pm | | Reply

You can always use skin tac or somthing to make it stick more if you know you are going to be sweating or swimming alot.

21. Rogan
    Rogan August 5, 2009 at 5:02 pm | | Reply

Eric R — I’d be interested in working together on an app (if nothing else, we could work out the file specifications / protocols…). If you happen to see this, please see my blog (linked from this post) for contact info.

–Rogan

22. greenberry
    greenberry November 3, 2009 at 11:14 am | | Reply

okay a mac user here,

just got dexcom and omnipod less than a month ago….

dexcom’s DM3 runs fine on paralles’ implementation of a virtual PC solution using XP. it’s a little tricky tho, as you have to make sure the USB device (dexcom) is properly talking to the virtual machine. It doesn’t print, however…. “Unable to load graphics conversion filter. Continue with the document conversion?” error message

omnipod/copilot, otoh is still a problem. when booting physically using the bootcamp (10.6.1) direct to XP, it works fine. It appears that OminiPod PDM acts like a simple storage device to which the copilot reads a file (eg: 20014296-2009-11-03-09-34-13.ibf). so i tried copying that file to a samba file server from the device and subsequently try to “restore” the file (both a simple copy of the file and the “backup” file) after rebooting XP on a virtual machine…. no luck….

perhaps reading “archived” file may work but i havne’t tried this as this appear to warn me that the data on the PDM will be erased as a result.

omnipod peeps can only say that the plugging in of the pod to a mac will “break” the pod…. i just needed someone to tell me how it’s being “manifested” so to speak on the windows so i could perhaps properly address the “device” on the virtual machine but all they can tell me is the standard scare tactics (for their lack of mac support!)…

“Omnipod PDM Setting Report” also doesn’t work (yet?) on the virtual machine.

any luck anybody???