1. Joey
    Joey May 14, 2009 at 6:39 am | | Reply

Cheetos just kill me, probably in more ways than one. I get a small rise in BG just after, but it’s the spike about 2-3 hours later that always gets to me. But I just can’t give up the crunchy (fake) cheesy goodness…

2. Kate
    Kate May 14, 2009 at 6:41 am | | Reply

pasta – - for a high that just won’t quit!

3. Jim D
    Jim D May 14, 2009 at 6:41 am | | Reply

Yeah…Oatmeal. Regular, slow-to-cook oatmeal. My endocrinologist insists it doesn’t raise blood-sugar, but constant 300 readings afterwards makes me think she’s mistaken. No extra sugar (sweet and low instead) and milk, that’s all it takes.

4. Anne
    Anne May 14, 2009 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Since I started using Symlin, this has become less of an issue for me. I have to take an extended bolus to eat a meal with 70g carbs. I try to aim for low-GI carbs but the effects are dramatic (of the Symlin) for me. I tried it 2-3 times and quit before I found a way to use it that worked for me.

My original meal plan in 1988 from my endo was for lunch, for example: 2 bread exchanges, 2 fruit exchanges, 2 meat and maybe 1 fat (or something equivalent in carbs)…. It worked fine for me for years…

Certain carbs do still send me high, especially dry cereal. Oatmeal (with symlin) is fine though. I have to take a 1.5-hour, 25%/75% extended bolus so I don’t go low.

5. Anne
    Anne May 14, 2009 at 6:49 am | | Reply

milk is super fast-absorbing for me. Jim D I wonder if it’s the milk, rather than the oats? Could be both.

6. William Lee Dubois
    William Lee Dubois May 14, 2009 at 7:00 am | | Reply

Well, this is pathetic…but…if I eat under 25 carbs in a meal I do great. More than that and I’m screwed.

7. riva
    riva May 14, 2009 at 7:01 am | | Reply

How interesting, I tolerate oatmeal extremely well and eat it every morning. However, pasta and rice I can’t do well at all. Dreamfield’s pasta with only 5 grams of carb/serving let me eat pasta after a 20 year absence.

8. David Downs
    David Downs May 14, 2009 at 7:38 am | | Reply

Grape juice is like rocket fuel for my BG. Great for when I’m low, but sometimes I feel like all I have to do is smell it and I jump to 300+. Also, non-food related, cutting my basal rate for exercise is always dicey. Cut a tenth too much and I’m guaranteed to be high two hours later.

9. Yousif
    Yousif May 14, 2009 at 7:55 am | | Reply

Cheesecake, mayonnaise, shortbread cookies (even if its just one small cookie) my sugar goes high 4 HOURS after i eat it..all the fat likes to kill me

10. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson May 14, 2009 at 8:30 am | | Reply

Wow! I’m pretty surprised about the results of that study! I’ve always felt so guilty for not being able to keep a lid on my carb intake.

I think what your doc said was right on point – we’re all SO different!

11. jill.
    jill. May 14, 2009 at 8:48 am | | Reply

Milk is also a huge spiker for me. I know people think of that as “slower carbs”, but it’s like juice for my body.

Bagels are a mess for me, but a glazed donut is no problem.

12. Brian
    Brian May 14, 2009 at 8:52 am | | Reply

Baked white potatos. No other potato products (fries, chips, mashed) cooked in any way messes me up like a baked white potato.

13. Lloyd
    Lloyd May 14, 2009 at 8:56 am | | Reply

I am very much in favor of diabetes being renamed “Trial and Error”.

-Lloyd

14. Anne
    Anne May 14, 2009 at 9:01 am | | Reply

thinking about this more, who really substitutes the carbs with fat? I would imagine that the balance would include more fat but also more protein. I know, for myself, that after a really high-fat meal, my blood sugars are horrible for something like 12 hours, for a given amount of carbs. Also I think the types of carbs do make a difference (low GI vs high GI) and one person’s low GI seems to be another’s high…

15. Karen
    Karen May 14, 2009 at 9:04 am | | Reply

It’s so interesting to read through the comments and hear what does and doesn’t spike each of us. I have no issues with pasta. And with my pumps dual-wave feature, I can even do pizza without a spike.

But oatmeal and wrap sandwiches spike me so high that I don’t eat them anymore. It’s grits and whole wheat sandwiches for me instead.

16. Gina
    Gina May 14, 2009 at 9:23 am | | Reply

I can’t eat rice. Any rice sends me ludacris speed into a light year or two…

17. tmana
    tmana May 14, 2009 at 9:45 am | | Reply

While I love bread products, more than an exchange or two worth of yeast bread at the time will send me high and keep me there. The other thing I’m finding is that there is a bit of a sodium correlation: the more sodium I consume at the sitting (whether or not it’s counteracted by potassium), the more grains are likely to rise me higher and longer than otherwise.

18. Alexis Pollak
    Alexis Pollak May 14, 2009 at 9:49 am | | Reply

Pasta. And the whoel wheat, high fiber ones are worse. They delay a nasty high sometimes until the next morning. Love the comment by Lloyd above about renaming diabetes “Trial and Error,” so true!

19. Rafael
    Rafael May 14, 2009 at 1:16 pm | | Reply

Chinese food is deadly for me. Spikes me for hours. Even in very small quantities, even a protein like General Tso’s chicken kills me. Goes to show just how much starch and sugar they put in those dishes.

20. Florian
    Florian May 14, 2009 at 2:04 pm | | Reply

I think its important to take into consideration the quality of the carbs in an eating plan in addition to the quantity. I find that the low glycemic index carbs that I use, sweet potatoes, brown rice, pumpernickel bread and whole wheat pasta plus the correct timing of my meal bolus seem to help with control of my post prandial spikes in blood sugar. There are many other variables that we need to deal with as well.
    I will second Lloyd’s motion to rename diabetes to “Trial and Error” with one amendment “Lots of Trials and Lots of Errors”

21. Don
    Don May 14, 2009 at 4:17 pm | | Reply

I have to double my insulin for cereal with milk (which I love & cannot live without) and I have to set my target to 80, not 120. This is the only food I have to double the IC ratio (I suspect an allergy to one of the milk proteins). For junky carbs in desserts, I have to add about 30% more insulin.

22. Don
    Don May 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm | | Reply

The more I think about it, Lloyd’s comment is really a gem. From now on I will say I suffer from “trial and error” instead of diabetes. Kinda covers all bases including my various character flaws!

23. Harry
    Harry May 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm | | Reply

Bananas drive my blood sugar…well, bananas. As soon as I eat one, I can feel my skin starting to get that creepy crawly “high” feeling.

Also, for some reason, I can do milk and cereal separately, but when I combine the two, it seems to make my sugars skyrocket. I can not explain why.

24. Jim D
    Jim D May 14, 2009 at 8:57 pm | | Reply

Thanks, Anne, I hear ya! But having had type-1 for 45+ years, I’ve never seen a direct correlation between my drinking milk and a noticeable rise in blood-sugars, not that you’re wrong, you’ve probably hit it on the nose, but I’ve just never seen the correlation.
    It might be like Harry experiences, the sum is greater than the parts, so like you said, it’s probably both.
    I refuse to eat oatmeal without milk, bloodsugars be dammed! ;)
    Now for Cheetos and bananas, to the moon with those too, but what the heck, a man’s gotta eat what a man’s gotta eat.

25. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston May 14, 2009 at 9:53 pm | | Reply

This whole post of comments would be a great education tool for nutritionists, CDE’s, endo’s, heck – family & friends. What a testament to the lives we lead! As for me, it depends on the day! But I do find that I can do cereal w/milk as a bedtime snack and be fine, whereas for breakfast, forget it. (My new discovery = Pacific Foods unsweetened almond milk – low carb, and the fat isn’t too high either)

26. Ladybug Crossing
    Ladybug Crossing May 15, 2009 at 3:29 am | | Reply

My husband can’t look at a potato, a grain of rice, or a piece of pasta. His sugar skyrockets. But, a glass of wine, a strawberry daiquiri, or dark chocolate does nothing. Go figure!

27. Erika Roe
    Erika Roe May 15, 2009 at 6:26 am | | Reply

Since I discovered Carba Nada pasta (I buy on Amazon), pasta no longer seems to be a problem for me. Symlin doesn’t seem to help my constant highs at all.

But crackers, bread, potatoes, and bananas make my BG go through the roof!

28. terry
    terry May 15, 2009 at 10:52 am | | Reply

This post (and comments) is probably the best one I have read in the past year (not saying the others are bad, this is just REAL educational and enlightening for me). I would love to see more of this kind of discussion in the future here. Also, what kind of highs you people are seeing.

My son was diagnosed last year (11 years old) and all of these comments are helpful.

29. Dave Gallagher
    Dave Gallagher May 15, 2009 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

Hi all; I am Dave Gallagher, living in Massachusetts.

I am relatively healthy Type 1 diabetic, for 46 years. (I’m 55).

This is a very good topic for my first post!

I love pasta. But for me it is and has been like the “Devil With a Blue Dress On” or the mythical utterly seductive and beautiful Medusa. But after another mythical “pig” God, Poseidon violated her in Athena’s temple) her revenge was turned any man into stone who ignored the mirror’s warnings, and looked directly at her face….This is a pretty well-known Greko-Roman myth — but exists in many other places.

The world of pasta and diabetes is one of these places:

Pasta is almost impossible to resist – but turns my insulin to carb ratio into stone!!!

But, interesting post Erika. I have not yet tried Carba Nada pasta; but in the recent past have tried Greenfield pasta with no success despite the company’s claims.

I’ve established a fairly accurate insulin to carb ratio (bolus), as well as a correction (or basal) ratio; it works consistantly with almost all other foods — and 9x out of 10-times. When it doesn’t, usually I have made an estimating mistake, or have been a “wee bit” too liberal.

But (at least for me) pasta continues to challenge my percieved knowlege and “almost laugh at me!!

I have been re-taught measuring pasta portions by my present wonderful and excellent Nutrionist at Boston Medical Center. But alas — still no success. I am beginning to wonder if this seductive food simply defies us all; doing what it wants to do”? Logic would say “No” — but experience says a loud “YES.

“Maybe there are some unique amino acids in pastas that deal with the CHO absorption timing and manner? We do know everybody’s body and metabolic functions *are* different. It this is so, then it’s reasonable to believe that we all digest, absorb (or expel) nutrients differently. But it’s also reasonable to learn and deal with most of these what I call “challenge foods.” But pasta must be different. Personally I think it is the diabetic’s “Achilles Heel” This wonderful food seems to almost be human. It does “what it wants to do.” If it doesn’t like the rules — it changes them…..

I know mine is not an isolated problem. I’d really appreciate a response from others in this wonderful blog who may have”figured this out.” Frankly I’m tired of my own failing here. But, I’m a stubborn (but not stupid) 3rd generation Irish-American. “We” don’t give up easily….But this one stumps me…..

I just discovered this blog, and want to thank all of you who have made it a proactive and helpful group. I look forward to participating, learning, and passing along what I know and have learned in my 46-years living with diabetes. I am “tenured” with diabetes – but can and mus always share and learn.

Thanks all!
    /Dave Gallagher
    davgall@comcast.net

P.S. Typed but not proofread….(in other words please forgive typos, mispellings and repetitive statements.

30. Sara B
    Sara B May 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm | | Reply

I’m 56 and have had diabetes for 13 years. I am Type 1. Bagels are the devil for me, so I limit myself to 1/2 bagel when I choose to indulge and always include cream cheese. Breakfast carbs are my nemesis–especially oatmeal (I also eat “real” and not instant). After wearing a CGM for several months, my endo and I decided to try bolusing for breakfasts 20-30 minutes before eating. Works for me. I also try to keep my carb limit to 45g at a meal, but I’m only human.

31. Don
    Don May 15, 2009 at 10:47 pm | | Reply

“After wearing a CGM for several months, my endo and I decided to try bolusing for breakfasts 20-30 minutes before eating. Works for me.”

makes me wonder how many of these catapult foods would be manageable with CGM. i look forward to the day when anyone who wants CGM can have it!

32. Lili
    Lili May 15, 2009 at 11:15 pm | | Reply

Pasta is no problem for me (as long as I don’t have more than 1.5 servings), but rice? Forget it! I can’t have more than a teaspoon, which doesn’t seem worth it. I don’t really miss rice, but I do miss mochi and dim sum. Cereal and granola are a recipe for spike city. No problem with potatoes, but corn is out. Ooh, here’s one I do miss: Snyder’s pretzel pieces. I love them, but they spike me like nothing else (and yes, I pre-bolus, my I:C ratio is correct, etc.)

33. Mark R
    Mark R May 15, 2009 at 11:34 pm | | Reply

Given the fact that I have Type 1, and for the last year and a half joined the ranks of being gluten intolerant, my selection of carbs had to change dramatically. Talk about trial and error.

34. Alison
    Alison May 16, 2009 at 1:58 am | | Reply

Porridge with milk is fine for me, Special K with milk sends me through the roof.
    I can do pasta and rice without a problem but pizza and curry need a stroke of diabetes genius to make sure I’m still in range several hours later.
    Fresh orange juice is like rocket fuel, but apple juice is tolerable with a couple of units.
    It’s definitely trial and error and what works for you. I work on the principle that fewer carbs is better, but I balance that with the fact that I can’t live without pasta and I will be found indulging in a curry every now and then.

35. June S.
    June S. May 17, 2009 at 10:01 am | | Reply

One year ago I needed to have a colonoscopy. I was SO concerned, in that the diet for one day preceding the procedure consisted of juices and jello and ice pops. I was certain I’d have the worst BG’s anywhere! After it was all said and done, I realized that my BG’s had been better than ever! I commented about this to my endo. She said “Of course your BG’s were fine on that diet. It’s when we throw fat and protein into the mix that BG’s are less predictable!”

36. Heidi Renee
    Heidi Renee May 18, 2009 at 2:53 am | | Reply

Canada & Australia have been working under this assumption for years now and are finding really good results.

37. Doa'a
    Doa'a May 19, 2009 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

Rice makes my BG WAAAAAAAAAAAAY HIGGGH, althoughh i love it. and pecan tarts:(

38. Doa'a
    Doa'a May 19, 2009 at 5:59 pm | | Reply

OH and i can’t havee FRENCH FRIEEES:(

39. meg
    meg June 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm | | Reply

Coffee and splenda makes my sugar go crazy, any one else get this effect??

1. MikeC
      MikeC July 6, 2012 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

Splenda (unless using liquid) does have carbs, from the maltodextrin.

40. Ladybug
    Ladybug September 17, 2009 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

very informative blog, It gives me some inspiration.

41. Brandie
    Brandie October 6, 2009 at 2:06 am | | Reply

I was controlling under type II. I am steroid induced diabetic. thanks to all the dr’s who gave me steroids for lung infections because god forbid I should become antibitic resistant. Oh and their thinking now has cost me one long lobe-mororns! afte rthe lung surgery BG out of control now I take insulin. I am in the angry phase still. I find food one of the last pleasure I can have and now that is gone. The only time my BG wa sin range since starting insuloin was once I had a sald and that was all I ate all day. I see the endo in 2 weeks we will talk. I grew up stick thin eating and drinking what i wanted. I truley hate being a diabetic.

42. Brandie
    Brandie October 6, 2009 at 2:11 am | | Reply

I meant one lung lobe removed. repeated infections and pnemonia destroye dthe lung. One thing, I discovered. I longed to go to a MX restaurant and have a margarita but it would spike my BS like crazy. I asked the restaurant think you will ever get SF maragritas they laughed in my face. But at KROGER wher ethey sell their drink stuff, their margarita mix is SF and taste like the real thing. If you don’t want to do the alcohol it is great without the alcohol. It has a somwhat diff consistance but I tell you it is good sometimes you have to pour it out other times scoop it out. It was fabulous and no sugar!

43. infants
    infants November 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm | | Reply

I have to double my insulin for cereal with milk (which I love & cannot live without) I have to set my target to 80, not 120. This is the only food I have to double the IC ratio (I suspect an allergy to one of the milk proteins). For junky carbs in desserts, I have to add about 30% more insulin

44. daniel
    daniel March 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm | | Reply

Pasta is very tricky but I love it… Olive garden. I will order and eat the chicken alfredo (I eat it all) after two hours of eating like pig I will check my BG and it reads normal, then if I check it an hour after the first two hours have passed, my sugar is through the roof :/ I guess its takes a while to digest all those carbs. Bagels are horrible I try to saty away from them. Im hispanic and have eaten rice all my life, I now eat less but it doesnt have the same effect as pasta, I guess I can tolerate it better…

Im 25 type I…

45. M
    M June 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm | | Reply

I eat under Dr. Bernstein’s recommendation of carbohydrates per day and I still experience highs that need to be treated with regular insulin. Get this also… my last c-peptide test showed as .1 ng. I’m definitely type 1. Any carb sends me soaring. I eat mostly fat as a result and have good levels (last A1C 5.3, but I want to get it to 4.8 which is physiological normal).

46. M
    M June 29, 2011 at 12:58 pm | | Reply

daniel, I think what you’re experiencing Dr. Bernstein calls the “Chinese Restaurant Effect.” Apparently, it’s very common with us type 1s.

47. jtorske
    jtorske April 1, 2012 at 7:56 am | | Reply

My son goes sky high with fishsticks. (frozen in the box, cooked in the oven. Even though I know exactly how many carbs are in each(according to the box)

48. Chris
    Chris April 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

I am EXACTLY the same.

49. SARAH
    SARAH April 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm | | Reply

Up to 2 pieces of pizza and an appropriate carb ratio is ok. If I try to pig out I may pay for up to 10 hours. Raising my basal is somewhat helpful, but I haven’t found a magic number that will keep me from spiking and these highs are very resistant to coming down. I guess I just really need to control my consumption of pizza!