1. Bennet
    Bennet May 12, 2009 at 7:26 am | | Reply

I kind feel like posting reviews of a doctor is out of bounds, particularly negative ones. If it is a bad fit, leave. It takes two to have a doctor patient relationship and both need to put in effort make it work.

If you want to say why you love your doc, and we are real positive about or kids’ endo, then talk about why that relationship works in ways that may help other build the same kind of team with theirs.

When reading comments about health including those about a doctor consider the source. As in have I ever read anything from this source and have those previous comments been credible?

Does the poster say something like, “I am not now, nor ever will be, a medical professional. So nothing here qualifies as certified medical advice.”

It is those last two that keep me reading here.

Love Ya Mean It Amy.

2. Tony Rose
    Tony Rose May 12, 2009 at 9:13 am | | Reply

Hi Amy -

Great follow up post from the podcast. Below is the section that I would like to comment on:

“But to be credible blogger/social media participant, you do have to exercise ethics. I personally love to hear about other people’s endo appointments, but I don’t need to know the doctor’s actual name — especially if the post is negative.”

As a blogger about diabetes and living with type 1, I have commented about the advice or lack of from my doctors. I have never and would probably never post the doctor’s name or practice. I would hate to be on the other end of someone’s vengeful comments when they were just having a bad day or didn’t get the results they had hoped for.

I agree in that it’s best to leave out the names. The message can still have the same effect and move people without naming doctors.

3. Alexis Pollak
    Alexis Pollak May 12, 2009 at 9:55 am | | Reply

Never thought about that – I do blog about my doctor and other doctors but I never name them. You made a good point that they may be having an “off day” or other issues. However, when I think about where I go for most of my diabetes information, its to the patients themselves that blog about products and services and companies. Is there a case for reviewing doctors too? I would want to know, for example, if a doctor at a certain clinic never even offers a particular medication because its not on formulary at that clinic. I certainly agree on exercising ethics, but this post made me think that there should be forum for just that so that patients can make educated decisions about their physicians. Having a great doctor is so important to diabetes management. Yelp for docs maybe? Haha.

4. Turtle
    Turtle May 13, 2009 at 12:12 pm | | Reply

I think this article is very interesting and one everyone should read…diabetic or not. I do not think it is ok to put the doctors name on the internet. Your suggestion about using a false name is great.
    Turtle

5. Cherise
    Cherise May 14, 2009 at 12:35 am | | Reply

Amy-

Great Post! I blog about my Endo appointments and I mention my NP’s name. He knows I mention him in my blogs; he doesn’t mind.

6. Camille Johnson
    Camille Johnson May 20, 2009 at 9:05 am | | Reply

Of course we MUST tell each other everything we can about every aspect of health care. And while you’re at it, tell your local AND national medical associatiion about their member doctors.