1. Snowflake Seven
    Snowflake Seven May 22, 2009 at 6:42 am | | Reply

No thank you. I’m already putting enough chemicals into my body. I work hard to avoid artificial coloring in my food. The last thing I want is for the stuff to be in my insulin.

2. Don
    Don May 22, 2009 at 7:10 am | | Reply

It would be a useful feature. I’ve taken Humalog instead of Lantus twice since diagnosis 4 years ago. The mistake is generally easy to avoid but the nature of this chronic disease requires insulin multiple times a day, every day, week, month, and year. Pat yourself on the back if you’ve never made this mistake! I keep my H and L in separate places of the fridge.

We’re a captive market, so there’s little incentive for manufacturers to lay out the money and effort for fda approval. If one company did it, the others might follow. Certainly, if the employees of the companies were diabetic, insulins would already be colored! Perhaps a company will eventually color their insulin as a means to “renew” their patent.

3. George Bridgeman
    George Bridgeman May 22, 2009 at 7:23 am | | Reply

I don’t use a pump so can’t comment on that, but instead of colouring the insulin, Novo Nordisk have started giving their disposable pens putrid colours instead. Horrible green for Levemir, orange for NovoRapid. Certainly helps if you keep your pens in the same case but you’re out of luck if you use the non-disposable variety. I just have basal and bolus pens in very different cases instead to stop me getting confused early in the morning or late (and perhaps a little squiffy) at night.

I’m with Snowflake Seven in that coloured insulin would probably freak me out. I’d not be comfortable with it, at least for a while, even if the colouring was natural.

George.

4. Sara
    Sara May 22, 2009 at 8:06 am | | Reply

I’d be more interested in seeing some sort of temperature sensitive color-changing feature on the label of the vial. Particularly for those of us who get mail order insulin, we have to rely on the the fact that our insulin has been stored properly in transit.

5. Alison
    Alison May 22, 2009 at 8:43 am | | Reply

I can see the potential benefit but it’s not a big enough benefit for me to be convinced that putting extra chemicals into my body day after day is worth it.

6. CB
    CB May 22, 2009 at 9:39 am | | Reply

I agree w Snowflake 7, putting red, green, blue or whatever color insulin into my body has no appeal. BUT, perhaps 90% of the issue of potentially using the wrong insulin could be aleviated by having different colored LABELS on the bottles for the different insulins. This would be far easier to implement than changing what’s inside the vial, and provide a strong visual clue about what you’re about to be using.

7. Shirley
    Shirley May 22, 2009 at 10:09 am | | Reply

I use a pump and tinted insulin sounds like a great idea but I’m not sure I like the idea of injecting large amounts of dye into my body.

8. Rebekah
    Rebekah May 22, 2009 at 10:11 am | | Reply

What a great idea to help distinguish between different types of insulin! I would find it a little unsettling though to use the added chemicals, and also to have purple insulin running through my pump tubing. As a compromise, it would be great to see color added to the materials used for the vials (stained glass style), and this wouldn’t require any added chemicals or manufacturing requirements.

9. Mark R
    Mark R May 22, 2009 at 10:18 am | | Reply

If it is such a big deal to change the color of insulin, I too agree that the companies should at least start by having the labels color coded. By the time all the government agencies approve these changes, we probably have a better chance of finding a cure.

10. Jodie Heflin
    Jodie Heflin May 22, 2009 at 10:54 am | | Reply

Sara – Here! Here! I would love to have a color changer on the insulin bottle. I’m never sure if my insulin really did stay cool in transit. Could explain why my son’s numbers are better with the first month of bottles and gets worse just before reorder…Hmmm….

While I do see a HUGE benefit to colored insulin, I too am afraid of injecting that dye into my son. Sure would help when his tubing breaks.

11. Gretchen
    Gretchen May 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm | | Reply

Offering consumers the option of colored insulin would be nice. But forcing everyone who uses insulin to use colored insulin would be horrible. As others have noted, we’re already injecting and ingesting enough substances with unknown effects, and this would be one more.

12. LindaB
    LindaB May 22, 2009 at 2:31 pm | | Reply

I am all for colored coded labels and larger letters on the vials, I would also suggest trying to use colors that are easy to distinguish when you are colorblind, whether it is due to retinopathy treatment or if you are just colorblind in general. Colors for Insulin sound cool but, I have enough junk going in me already, I don’t need to start worrying about Red dye #5. The color change bottle/vial would be awesome, If Coor can hve color changing cans, why not Insulin vials/bottles/ pens, etc. Someone should talk to the beer guys and see how I’ts done and how to implement it, before the Insulin itself starts turning red!!!

13. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill May 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm | | Reply

Both cool concepts and videos. I too got a chuckle from TINTsulin. I never really thought about colored insulin. I would have concerns about chemicals, but if there was a way to do it with natural substances, colored insulin would have a lot of advantages. Those pump cartridge bubbles – both the ones I can see and can never seem to dislodge, and the ones I feel certain are there, but I can’t see – drive me bonkers. They’re one of the reasons I hate changing my cartridge/infusion set.

14. mollyjade
    mollyjade May 22, 2009 at 11:23 pm | | Reply

I agree with everyone else who is uncomfortable injecting dye daily. There are also plenty of people allergic to dyes, and that would leave them with difficulties.

15. Kevin
    Kevin May 23, 2009 at 6:03 am | | Reply

How about putting different colored tape on your vials with the date opened and Do Not Use Past [Opened Date plus 30days]?

16. Mark
    Mark May 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm | | Reply

How about a simple solution: Put a colored label on your insulin bottle yourself? Cheaper even still

Use those colored dots or label you get at the office supply store.

17. Christine
    Christine May 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

If we’re going to be dying insulin, we should be dying pills too. Who wants to take a pain pill when they thought they were taking their heart medicine, but they’re both round, white pills?

But really, it’s not realistic to have every medication be a different color. I think different labels should be enough, particularly if people treat insulin with some of the respect it deserves.

18. Nick Grow
    Nick Grow May 26, 2009 at 2:12 pm | | Reply

Hi, I’m Amanda’s husband the guy in the first video, of course making another product line for each color of insulin is obnoxious what we had in mind was an additive you could do like how they flavor cough syrup for children ect. This would also require approval by the FDA but if you already have the lobbyists as most of these corp.’s do then pushing it through in any sort of timeframe is not an issue and for an extra buck or 2 for a bit of (most likely natural) dye from plants and extracts to have peace of mind or to make it exciting for children, and encourage them to keep up on their medications is WORTH it.

1. Stef Adams
      Stef Adams January 3, 2012 at 2:07 am | | Reply

I trialled adding some food dye, it only took a tiny amount to change the colour I have emailed norvodisk who said that they would be unsure what detoriation colour would do, however i trialled my coloured insulin for a couple of weeks and my bsls were normal. the colour made the bubbles sso much easier to see in my pump tubing

19. Dennis
    Dennis May 26, 2009 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

Well,I agree on the Colored Insulin, but Now using the Pens? I’d like to see Different Color and types of Pens for each type of Insulin..
    The Levemire and Novalog Pens are identical, other than the small color lable
    I put Duct tape on one and keep the Levemire in the Fridge vs the Novolog Pen on the counter, etc.. In the First week of getting the Pens, sure enough, I took Novolog instead of Levemire and that was fund, downing 3 cans of coke and staying up for the next few hours and testing…

and a Adjustable top for the Novolog Pen wb nice too, so I can use it with leaving the Pen Needle on … for now? I put some Tape around the middle so the cover stays on tight with the pen needle on it..

20. Adrien Pikovsky
    Adrien Pikovsky October 4, 2009 at 11:05 am | | Reply

i believe that not only would colored insulin be good for insulin pump users, but if pharmaseutical companies would realize the potentials for all the senior citizens that cannot clearly see the amount of clear insulin that they are giving themselves and how much of an advantage having colored insulin would do for safe effective health care for seniors. it would eventually be very cost effective to the health care systrem.

21. LaLa
    LaLa April 25, 2010 at 9:18 am | | Reply

This idea is absolutely brilliant. I am also a pumper who has been plagued by unexplained highs, probably caused by air bubbles I can’t see. I used syringes for 20 years, and also injected Novolog instead of Lantus on two occasions–VERY scary. Additionally, I have always thought a dyed insulin that changes or loses color as it “goes bad” would be extraordinarily helpful. Why do our bodies have to be the “lab” to tell if the insulin is working?

I am trying to find out if anyone knows the effects of adding normal food coloring to insulin–is it harmful to the insulin or to the body? Everyone cautions against it, but I haven’t found anything so far that indicates this has actually every been tried or studied.

22. BEEPEE
    BEEPEE August 12, 2010 at 5:51 am | | Reply

I see another angle. My wife has been insulin dependent for 30 yrs. Over that time her vision has deteriorated tremendously, especially in regards to contrast.

She has a hard time telling when the vial is close to empty. This has left us scurrying to get a Rx called in a couple times when she has run out.

I mentioned the idea of adding food color to the insulin to her nephrologist, and advised against using food color.

There has to be something safe that could be used.

23. Andrew Archuleta
    Andrew Archuleta August 22, 2014 at 9:14 am | | Reply

I found this article on a search after my grandfather who does not have good eyesight injected himself with too much insulin and had an overdose attack because he could not see the volume. I would think either colored insulin, injector that speaks the volume that is being drawn, or an injector that has a bright colored volume indicator that relies on the vacuum of the draw to indicate amount.I would also like to see a fix to the needles to inject. i have seen my family help him multiple times after he accidentally bent the needle prior to injection then could not properly self medicate.