1. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver April 26, 2009 at 3:39 pm | | Reply

After using the Dexcom Seven for a year, I’ve pretty much decided it is a failure too, or at least a massive waste of time, effort and money. I don’t think I got too many sensors to last a full 7 days.

I’m not shocked to hear that the Navigator is too.

2. Titos
    Titos April 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm | | Reply

My son has been using the Navigator for 10 months. Only 2 sensors failed in that time. Accuracy has been very good as well as reliability. The ten hour calibartion is indeed a problem, but hardly a reason to drop the product. In fact sensors can actually be re-used and 10-day accuracy is also as good. Never had a problem with water either.

3. nurse triage
    nurse triage April 26, 2009 at 8:28 pm | | Reply

It is just a rumor and they couldn’t find the real reason behind. I’ve never heard any problems out of navigator before.. but thanks anyways for the info..

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 26, 2009 at 9:06 pm | | Reply

I am a FreeStyle Navigator fan, but that could be from all of my exposure at Smiths. Hard for me to separate myself from all of that background you know?

5. Bob
    Bob April 27, 2009 at 6:05 am | | Reply

I easilty get 2 weeks from a Dexcom 7 sensor with readings within 10% of a finger-stick. The real question is why results are so inconsistent. I tried the Medtronic CGM with entirely different results. Iknow oothers who can’tus the Dexcom system.

6. katerina
    katerina April 27, 2009 at 10:23 am | | Reply

For me these are very sad news. I was hoping that Abbot and the others would start to make second generation cgm not stop all together. I think each cgm has advantages to offer and it is a starting point for something better.

7. sarah
    sarah April 28, 2009 at 6:39 am | | Reply

I wish they wouldn’t discontinue it, just improve it. They are the only company that will help you with insurance by providing you with the necessary forms, not make the doctor send a letter, and that will help you file it. Medtronic’s Guardian looks nice, but you have to get the doctor to write a letter as to why you need it, not a form for them to fill out. Also, dexcom won’t even file with your insurance for you – they work by “you pay – you get reimbursed… maybe”. So, if you get the device and submit it to your insurance, you may be denied and out of a lot of money that, IMO, you shouldn’t have had to pay in the first place since you are paying a butt-load for insurance anyways.

8. 2daughterswithdiabetes
    2daughterswithdiabetes April 28, 2009 at 6:19 pm | | Reply

My daughter is just about to begin a trial with the updated Navigator with the new calibration times. Wondering why this would be continuing if they are about to drop it. I hope not. We used this CGM with our other daughter and we liked alot about it. It wasn’t perfect but it was helpful.

9. Ellen
    Ellen April 29, 2009 at 11:23 am | | Reply

I wholeheartedly believe the Navigator will continue to be developed/enhanced and we will see subsequent generations that will be more user friendly. There isn’t another CGM on the market I want for my son. The accuracy has been remarkable. The folks at Abbott have always been responsive – all through the years – which are many. The inventors of the Navigator are top drawer. What first generation product hasn’t had growing pains?

p.s. I have no financial interest in any diabetes device or pharmaceutical company, other than the monthly co-pays for DME and insulin.

10. Bill
    Bill April 29, 2009 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

I use the Navigator and have since nearly the day it came out. There have been problems…I have had three receivers and I am one of the individuals that suffered water in the transmitter (I reported it to Abbott a week before I got the letter). Still, I am very impressed with the device and it has proven to be invaluable in determining what my basal and bolus doses should be. It is, on the whole, extremely accurate.
    I agree that some of its aspects were poorly thought out, including the ten hour calibration time ( this is so easily fixed (a second transmitter) that it is almost surprising that it came to market with this ‘feature’) and the menus are ok, unless you want to change something. The slowness to bring the software to market was another set back. Still, I doubt this will be the demise of the Navigator. Version 1.5 has been rumored for a while as well as version 2.0. Hopefully, this will just increase the development pace and we will all get more hopeful letters in the near future.

11. MelissaBL
    MelissaBL April 30, 2009 at 6:51 pm | | Reply

I am on Receiver #4, but that’s only because their Customer Care team sends me a new one if I so much as have a skin temp error. I am fine with the 10-hour warm-up and am blissfully happy with the device. I love it. I am just getting over the loss of Cozmo. Now this. UGH.

12. Fran
    Fran June 16, 2009 at 10:47 am | | Reply

Does anyone have info about how to extend the wear of the Navigator sensor? I know it can be done; I just don’t have the steps in order to do it. Thanks!

13. Jonathan
    Jonathan August 19, 2009 at 8:44 am | | Reply

I just sent my Navigator back for a refund. Out of 6 sensors only one lasted the full five days. The remaining sensors detached from my body before the five days were up. I even used over tape on all of them. I found the product to be an excellent addition to my diabetic care. But it was more frustrating, time consuming and wasteful calling Abbott every time there was a problem.
    For the amount of money CGMS cost and the continual purchase of sensors you would think big Pharma would make something that works for everyone. With all the money that is being spent to develop, maintain and purchase these items would those funds be better spent trying to find a cure instead of maintaining the sick with technological gizmos.

14. deb
    deb June 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm | | Reply

we have used the dexcom, the guardian and the Navigator and have found the Navigator to be far superior to any of the others. the calibration time is longer, but this is more than made up for in accuracy. adhesion problems are minor. we have never had a problem with sensors not lasting. I hope they bring it back soon. We miss this little device.