1. tmana
    tmana April 9, 2009 at 9:57 am | | Reply

Cool interview. And when one can touch someone’s life that significantly (MacGregor’s friend’s brother), it makes all the rest of the struggles worthwhile.

Interestingly coincidental: the CAPTCHA is “Other Brunel”, which came close enough to “Bruyneel” (as in Johan Bruyneel, director sportif of Team Astana) to capture my attention…

2. Ali
    Ali April 9, 2009 at 1:36 pm | | Reply

Great interview, Amy!

3. Penny
    Penny April 9, 2009 at 5:36 pm | | Reply

A friend of mine introduced me to Phil just after the Tour de California. He is an avid advocate for Diabetes and cycling. I have never met him personally but he responds to every question I have asked. The information he provided me and obtaining the Dexcom Seven increased my confidence in moving my mileage up from 40 – 50 miles to 70+…

Great advocate, great cyclist, nice person
    We would SAG for him or TT1 anytime!

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 9, 2009 at 8:34 pm | | Reply

Great interview Amy – and thank you Phil! My buddy Kyle Rose is involved with TT1 as well, and I’ve very much enjoyed hearing about it from him too.

5. Brian Riviere
    Brian Riviere April 10, 2009 at 5:46 am | | Reply

I think what he is doing is a great thing, my son is 12 years old with Type 1 and cycling would be a great way for him to keep his sugar level in check.

We here in Canada are doing a cross canada rely race. Anyone interested in finding more about this event can go to my donation site http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=585141&LangPref=en-CA or http://www.cyclebetes.com to find out more about this event.

Brian

6. Terry Thompson
    Terry Thompson April 10, 2009 at 7:20 am | | Reply

Does anyone know how Phil did in the Tour Of California? I can’t find his name in any of the results?

7. Jack
    Jack April 10, 2009 at 7:31 am | | Reply

I am lucky enough to know Phil and to have been able to watch Team Type 1 grow exponentially in the last few years. In my mind, he is doing more for people with diabetes than anyone else out there. I was lucky enough to be a part of the crew for the Race Across America in 2007. Let me just say that I do not have diabetes and I know I could not have kept up with any of the racers. It was hard enough to drive the van for that long…haha. Those guys actually see the chore of maintaining their own blood glucose as an advantage over the competition. It was a privilege to watch. I can only hope I qualify for crew duties at the Tour de France. I have no doubt it will happen.

8. Sean Weide
    Sean Weide April 10, 2009 at 1:49 pm | | Reply

Phil and Fabio Calabria (another pro on Team Type 1 with diabetes) were two of five riders on the team who unfortunately did not make it to the finish of the Amgen Tour of California.

Three of the first four days of the 750-mile race featured some pretty adverse weather conditions. Only 84 of the 136 starters completed the entire nine-day race.

Rest assured, Phil, Fabio and the rest of the Team Type 1 squads (pro women, triathlon, elite, development, etc.) will be making more headlines throughout 2009. Thanks for your support.

9. mirc
    mirc April 10, 2009 at 2:52 pm | | Reply

very good

10. Team Type 1 Interview | At Home With Dad

[...] Interview with Phil Southerland from Team Type 1. [...]

11. Guy Mossman
    Guy Mossman April 12, 2009 at 7:45 am | | Reply

Good interview, Amy.

These guys are amazing to watch. A documentary is being made about Phil and his journey to the Tour de France. My wife — who has type 1 – and I are producing and directing the film! Please check out the trailer!! http://www.voxpopfilms.tv/oneshot

More information at http://www.voxpopfilms.tv.

12. David Downs
    David Downs April 13, 2009 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Amy, great interview and go TT1!

Terry – Phil dropped out around stage 5 … I believe he said something like “These guys start fast and everyday it gets faster!” Keep in mind TT1 was competing against many of the top teams in the world in the Tour of California.

I love to ride because if I cut my basal rate in half on my pump (your milage my vary) I can ride for hours, lightly snack/refuel like other cyclists, and my BG will stay flat all day long. LOVE THAT!

13. StageWest
    StageWest April 13, 2009 at 2:20 pm | | Reply

Thanks for this interview. My ideal BG prior to an XC race is about 150, trending slightly upward. Still having trouble getting things figured out for those all day, endurance MTB races though.

I’d like to hear from others about their fueling for an endurance event, and tips of that nature. I’ve had some success with Hammer products, but wondering if there are better alternatives.