1. Allison Blass
    Allison Blass April 16, 2009 at 8:54 am | | Reply

Hi Amy – I think the difference between your blog and my blog is that your blog is more “newsy.” You write about other people, and research, and have guest bloggers, etc. You don’t write about your own personal stories each and everyday. For me, it’s hard to write about my own diabetes experiences everyday because I start feeling like I’m repeating myself and that I shouldn’t write if I can’t come up with something new. I feel like if I had started my blog with a much broader reach, or perhaps if I were like you and Kerri and just went ahead and mixed it up between a “journalistic” style and a “personal” style, then that would be easier.

Also, I read a lot of other blogs on other subjects – twentysomethings who talk about work and love, personal finance bloggers who talk about money, travel bloggers who talk about cool cities. I don’t want to write six blogs! So that’s also where I’m coming from, not just that I don’t feel satisfied with the D-community. I want the D-community – and more.

2. Tom
    Tom April 16, 2009 at 9:27 am | | Reply

Hi there

I’ve been living with type 1 diabetes for 20 years and am very new to the online diabetes community! I’m delighted to have found it and am astounded it’s taken me this long. Basically I work in digital media and am subscribed to more than 50 RSS feeds (on all sorts of subjects – arts, sports, music, news, macs, bikes etc etc) so to only just stumble across DiabetesMine and the like is really interesting!

I’d like to share a story with you…

I was diagnosed at the age of 6. That was 20 years ago. At that time advice was to count carbohydrates religiously, match insulin doses against carb intake, and be done with it – on the ridiculous premise that they were the only 2 factors which affect control of blood sugar levels.

Approximately 6 years later at an annual review appointment the ‘consultant’ asks about the processes I’ve been using to manage my sugars recently. I told him that I had found the most effective methods to not pretend that the arbitrary maths of balancing carbs against insulin units helps, but to eat a balanced diet, reasonable sized portions of healthy food, and adjust insulin intake against all of the other factors (such as exercise).

He turned round and said…’well yes, that’s the advice we’re now giving’.

Fast forward 10 years down the line (making me about 22!), and at a routine check-up, I’m asked how many carbs i have for breakfast!??!! After overcoming the laughter, I told the consultant the above story, who admitted to me, ‘yeah…it’s kind of fashion really, different bits of research suggest different methods and this is the current advice..’

You may think I am dealing with my diabetes in the wrong way (I do have good control and am in good shape), but my philosophy is one of balance, as you talk about above Amy. Basically, I don’t want to allow this condition to stop me doing anything, or allow it to rule my life. I live with it as second nature and I do have the occassional drink,I do exercise, I do eat a healthy and balanced diet, but I don’t NOT do anything.

Some of you may feel that’s irresponsible, but this is what works for me.

3. CALpumper
    CALpumper April 16, 2009 at 9:39 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing Amy.

And Allison, it’s ok, it’s Your blog, write about whatever You want to! If readers don’t read it, that’s their choice and has nothing to do with You as a Person. ;-)

4. tmana
    tmana April 16, 2009 at 11:01 am | | Reply

Let me give another perspective. Allison’s blog is a personal blog into which her diabetes sometimes intrudes, while Amy’s blog is a news-and-information blog in which her personal experience plays a usually-minor role.

Contrast that further: my personal blog on TuDiabetes wavers between the personal, the informative, and the activist (my DiabeticRockstar blog is a bit more activist, but then so is the community); Allie’s Voice is almost entirely activist; Scott Strumello’s blog is technical/activist with occasional glimpses into his personal life.

Each of us, whether or not we’re listed in the DOC, whether or not we blog at a major diabetes portal (Diabetes Daily, dLife/Blogabetes, My Diabetes Central, etc.), has a different perspective, a different raison d’être, and a distinct voice. Just as a chorus sounds fullest with counterpoint weaving between multipart harmonies, and strongest during the unison interludes, our various voices and perspectives provide a stronger, fuller, more accurate understanding of diabetes and its medical and social implications.

As Health 2.0 evolves into Health 3.0, 4.0, and beyond, it is that chorus of voices that will combine to provide us, those who join us, and those who follow us, with the best, fullest, highest-possible quality-of-life options for living with diabetes.

5. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 16, 2009 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Thanks Amy!

I too find great satisfaction and reward by immersing myself into my blog, and even more by reading all of the great blogs. It is therapeutic for me, and that is why I do it. I often have trouble getting the time I need to just sit down and write!

One of the things that I really enjoy about the family we have here is that we are all different. Different in ways we live with diabetes, different in how we manage our diabetes, different in how we communicate our thoughts and feelings. It is so great and gives me “warm fuzzies” all the time.

6. Andrea Bradley
    Andrea Bradley April 16, 2009 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

I’ve been thinking lately if my blog is going in the direction that I want it to go in. I mean it’s called Sticky Sweet Diabetics so I almost feel obligated to always blog about diabetes related things but like all of us I have so many other things going on that I could throw in. So then I ponder would I loose the handful of readers that I do have? Should I start a totally seperate blog? Or just mix it up from time to time. I’ve been told that it’s my blog and I should post whatever I want. So, I agree with CALpumper that you blog about whatever makes you happy and loyal readers will follow regardless.

7. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez April 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm | | Reply

When I started blogging in 2002 (that comment just made me feel so old) a good chunk of what I wrote had to do about diabetes, but I actually maintained my personal blog (www.askmanny.com) personal, occasionally blogging about diabetes.

Since I started TuDiabetes, diabetes has become a HUGE part of what I do VERY day of my life. It’s almost inevitable for me to be thinking about diabetes almost at every point of my life. Does it get tiring? It sure does… what can I say. But it’s worth it, is what I can say: when I see others benefiting it in some way of the work we do, it’s totally worth it!

8. » Diabetes (Blogging)/Life Balance - DiabetesMine: the all things … | Feed Rss

[...] here:  » Diabetes (Blogging)/Life Balance – DiabetesMine: the all things … Tagged with: [...]

9. Ryan Suenaga
    Ryan Suenaga April 17, 2009 at 1:19 am | | Reply

Hi,

I’m a personal finance blogger (Uncommon-Cents.net) but my online friends encouraged me to start a diabetes and exercise blog (which is in its infancy) at Athletic-Diabetic.com. I don’t know if/when I’ll get tired of blogging about diabetes, but the fact is that I’m finding it challenging, cathartic, and today two people told me they’re getting something out of reading it. Don’t know if that does it, but I’d like to let you folks know that someone appreciates reading blogs about diabetes–actually, more than just one someone!

10. Ali
    Ali April 17, 2009 at 3:13 am | | Reply

I’ve just started blogging ( http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk ) because I’ve really enjoyed listening to other people’s tales of diabetes and have learnt a lot from them despite having lived with it myself for over 25 years. I don’t bump into that many diabetics in the real world so to know so many people online who understand what its like is fantastic.

11. Kelly Rawlings
    Kelly Rawlings April 17, 2009 at 7:33 am | | Reply

Some days I’m tired of living with diabetes, but tired of writing about it? Never!

Okay, full disclosure: my job as editor of Diabetic Living magazine means I do get paid to write about diabetes. But I also do plenty of diabetes writing in which the only pay is satisfaction. And that’s what I so value and enjoy from the thousands of bloggers and online community members, paid and unpaid, who have a passion for spreading the word, the hope, and the truth about all types of diabetes.

When I took this job, I worried that living with diabetes and writing about diabetes would be too much, too often. It’s not (most days, and especially when I’m comfortably in the 70-120 mg/dl range. Hah!).

There’s so much to know and learn about this complex, lifelong condition–and so much grassroots wisdom from the millions of people gracefully, humorously, wisely, stupidly, reluctantly, whole-heartedly, precisely, casually, meaningfully living with diabetes. Thanks, guys.

12. Dr. Charles Martin
    Dr. Charles Martin April 17, 2009 at 7:40 am | | Reply

As a blogger who blogs about the links between dental care, good oral health and diabetes management at http://www.dentistryfordiabetics.com/blog, I’m a firm believer that blogs are a great resource for people who are looking for more information about diabetes and its management as well as for those who are looking to learn more about the disease through the shared experiences of others. I appreciate what I have learned from your blogs and invite you to visit mine.

Charles Martin, DDS
    Founder, Dentistry for Diabetics

13. whimsy2
    whimsy2 April 17, 2009 at 4:33 pm | | Reply

I hear you. After 11+ years as type 1 LADA, diabetes isn’t the main focus of my life any longer. Sure, I still check my BGs 10x daily and take my insulin faithfully. I’ve maintained an A1C under 6.5 for at least 9 years and I have no complications and I’m proud of that; I’ve worked hard for that. The difference is, I’ve folded diabetes into the rest of my life without it being a Big Thing any longer.

But I’m still very active on a few diabetes lists. When I was first diagnosed and despondent, I found an online mentor who pointed me in the right direction when doctors didn’t. (I.E. the infamous ADA diet). And in her memory — she died of cancer a few years ago — I’m doing the same for other diabetics down the line.

14. Justin Bowers
    Justin Bowers April 17, 2009 at 7:49 pm | | Reply

Putting some of yourself into your blogs is really a way to get the point across that you’re a “real” person. I like reading subject specific blogs where the writer reveals a part of his or herself over the course of several articles. If your friend has written several articles by now, she’ll naturally just write a new post without having to worry about if it’s more about her or the diabetes. People want to know the author! :]

15. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston April 17, 2009 at 10:49 pm | | Reply

Amy, I just love your blog. You seem fired up and ready to go when it comes to diabetes, so why not just ride the energy till it starts to organically wane for you? Maybe your energy about db is because you’re somewhat new to the illness. Maybe it’s because you’re experienced in new media and reporting. Whatever the reaosn, d-blogging seems like an excellent fit: you’re truly a fabulous diabetic voice in the blogosphere.

I suppose it’s possible that doing so much on a daily basis related to db can be a way to try to feel in control of something that’s actually extremely painful and difficult emotionally. But, as you say, it’s a way to stay sane. I’m surprised that after my 28 years with db, I’m still so comforted to check in with your blog.

Meanwhile, here’s a fabulous documentary film coming out abt living with diabetes (made by a type 1), and I just had to share it: bloodandhoney.com. I learned abt it on the cover of Diabetes Health this month. It’s kind of a nice antidote to the downer db stories we hear in the news these days.

But back to Amy – you rock. Keep on rocking. We’ll be rolling with you!

16. Mitch
    Mitch April 17, 2009 at 11:03 pm | | Reply

I have to say that I love the fact that this blog is mainly about diabetes, and I also love the fact that Allison is ready to go in another direction.

My blog is mainly about affiliate marketing and other stuff, but every once in awhile I pop a post in about diabetes, being type II, and some things I’ve learned, as well as some problems I have (like not being able to break my sugar addiction; sigh,…). Still, I like the idea that, for me, I can talk about everything else, other interests I have, and still feel that I have a platform to talk about issues that affect diabetics. I also have a Facebook group for diabetics, which gives me another outlet if I choose to go that route.

So, please keep writing about diabetes, and Allison, I’ll be intrigued to see which direction you end up going in.

17. Richard James
    Richard James May 15, 2009 at 12:54 am | | Reply

Hello,
    Wow — I love all the blogs! GREAT INFORMATION!!! You’re providing an invaluable service!

I’m trying to get my wife to start a blog, because she’s helped so many people with diabetes.

I NEVER thought that I would say this, but … my wife is smarter than me. :-)

Almost 2 years ago my wife bought a diabetes book (titled “death to Diabetes”) about super foods and lost 27 pounds. More importantly, her average BS went down to 87.4 and a1c to 5.1% and her doctor took her off the diabetic medication. But, he says she’ll be back on medication in a year or so.

When a friend asked her how she lost so much weight and got off her meds, she told her and helped her until her friend had lost 15 pounds and her doctor reduced her meds. Then, my wife helped her aunt, and then a neighbor down the street.

Anyhow, I felt that I had nothing to lose, so, I listened to my wife and tried this man’s super foods and raw food diet program. He calls it his “Death to Diabetes” wellness program, but the title doesn’t make sense, does it? My wife says it does to her, but not to me. But, maybe I shouldn’t complain, because my BS average went down to 85.6, my a1c to 4.9%, and I LOST 37 POUNDS in about 5 months [my wife is jealous :-) ]

The author (Dewayne Mcculley) almost DIED from a diabetic coma, his book is well-written and very thorough — he believes in raw food dieting, juicing, etc., and explains step by step what to do. It’s so simple!

I was a little afraid of raw foods, I think because of the “bland” taste. But this author provides a lot of cool tips about how to make Brussel sprouts and broccoli taste sweet but still healthy for you! And, it works! I always hated Brussel sprouts because they’re so BITTER, but not anymore! :-)

The author is an engineer. He breaks down the medical jargon and explains how diabetes really works, and why some diets won’t work, and why certain foods are necessary for blood glucose stabilization. He also explains all the myths about diabetes.

p.s. I am so happy to be off the diabetic drugs! AND I FEEL GREAT! So does my wife. I wish she would do what many of you are doing. But, she thinks it’s hard, and a lot of work.

p.s. It’s been more than a year now, and my wife’s doctor is surprised that she hasn’t had to go back on medication. He’s trying to convince her to take a low dose to be on safe side.
    (Does that make sense to anyone? — doesn’t to me or my wife).

Sincerely,